Is over-eating the primary cause of Leaky Gas? - Page 2 - Leaky Gas (LG) / Incontinence / Odor - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Is over-eating the primary cause of Leaky Gas?

carbohydrate malabsorption maldigestion GERD low carb overeating reduced stomach acid gas flatulence bacterial overgrowth Low FODMAP and low starch

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 hzw7500

hzw7500

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 12:55 PM

Hi tummyrumbles, I have followed your dietary advise and im now on the 4-5th day and so far i have seen Major reduction in my lg. Couldnt believe it worked this fast.
People havent been reacting much like the days before the diet. I m not fully cured but it definitaly is tolerable to go out now. Just a few coughs but no weird look, i think i went from smelling like garbage to a faint fart smell. I ll keep continue doing this diet and see how it goes. Thank you for the hard work you ve put in.

#22 tummyrumbles

tummyrumbles

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 03:22 PM

Thank's wonderful to hear. I'm so glad there's another success story. It's a tough diet to keep to. I have a sluggish colon and the biggest part of my LG was the fact that it takes me a while to go, so I have to sit there until I'm finished. I also tend to over-eat too so have to stop doing that. Be careful with the fibre, and fats as well (thank you Annie for that hint). Just introduce fibre very slowly, especially the salads. You last thing you want is diarrhea from a sudden overload of fibre or fat. 

My Wordpress blog: http://ibsnaturalcure.wordpress.com

#23 searching4answers

searching4answers

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 23 April 2015 - 12:14 AM

Lg/ibs/SIBO "cured" update 3 years later

To answer the Question you posted...Not necessarily. LG is caused by backed up stool, mine was found out through an xray.

First of all there is no cure, it's about managing your symptoms and keeping them away. A doctor telling u that you have IBS is basically saying "Idk wtf is wrong with your tummy". Tests are how you find the answers to the right diagnosis. Yes I've been through all the other non invasive tests 1st and all came back negative except for one.

Here's a little back story. I've had ibs symptoms since 15 yrs old. Diagnosed with (SIBO) small intestine bacterial overgrowth by hydrogen breath test at 17, now 22. I managed my sibo & lg symptoms in my first year of college after struggling to find a cure that wasn't there. This is my first time logging bk in since 3 years ago bc I've happily moved on with managing my symptoms,but I have not forgotten the frustrations of all those suffering. I just want to share what works for me.

Symptoms included sharp abdominal pain (upper left & lower right), bloating, nausea, lethargy, leaky gas, constipation, rosacea, popping and fluttering noises in stomach whether I ate or not. Treated it with Flagyl antibiotic, "cured", it came back. Now having been managing my symptoms successfully for the last 3 years. I found success through committing to a low carb, low sugar, no high fructose, no wheat diet, in addition to daily exercise, Miralax 1-2x a day, and Culturelle probiotic (Health & wellness-blue label) 2 pills 1-2x a day.

LG Tips:The diet similar to FODMAP reduces gas, sharp pains, nausea, rosacea, lethargy, sweats. The miralax reduces constipation which = no leakygas. The probiotics decreased my bloating & stomach noises in the event I eat bad. Daily jog also helps sweat out toxins. If embarrassing smell is an issue tips include filling part of sock with coffee grounds to put in pocket or scented dryer sheet btwn underwear fabric, also keeping something over your lap (jacket) when sitting & cross legged sitting position to lessen smell. Pm me to learn more about my exact diet & tips Good luck and hope this helps you move on as I have.

#24 tummyrumbles

tummyrumbles

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 05:44 PM

Just bumping this thread because of the fantastic results I've had by not over-eating. The main thing is to eat smaller meals during the day and the earlier you have your dinner at night the better. I try not to eat at all after 7.30 pm, which means I try to go to bed by 10 pm so I don't start getting hungry. Over-eating is so easy to do. If you eat until you feel full, you're over-eating. It takes a while to get used to it, but eating less in one sitting means you digest more, so in a sense eating less is eating more! I think it was the over-eating that led to my bacterial overgrowth in the first place. Over-eating means that you have taken in more food than your stomach can digest. This means that food is moving through the colon, at least partially undigested, and we all know that bacteria love partially undigested carbs. There's not a lot about over-eating here on these forums; actually there's very little. The best thing to do is just try it for yourself. There's a lot of misinformation here about fibre. Leaky Gas is caused by incomplete evacuation. We need a certain amount of fibre for efficient elimination. You have to gradually increase your fibre but the optimum fibre level is different for each person. I can tolerate a fair bit of fibre and seem to need this if I want to go in under an hour. Too much fibre leads to colonic spasms and just delays things even more. Too little fibre and things aren't moving through properly. I'm wary of things like nuts, dried beans, highly concentrated fruits like figs, dates etc. The best foods are the gentle, easy to digest veges and keep highly refined starches to a minimum. I don't take any meds at all - no probiotics, no drugs, no nothing. I wish I had known about this decades ago as it would have saved me a lifetime of sorrow. Oh well, better to know late than never at all. 

• blorb likes this

My Wordpress blog: http://ibsnaturalcure.wordpress.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: carbohydrate malabsorption, maldigestion, GERD, low carb, overeating, reduced stomach acid, gas, flatulence, bacterial overgrowth, Low FODMAP and low starch

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here