IBS as an autoimmune condition: CDT-B & molecular mimicry - Page 2 - IBS News, Media, Research Results, Discussion or Abstracts - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo
- - - - -

IBS as an autoimmune condition: CDT-B & molecular mimicry

Vinculin bacterial toxin CDT-B SIBO post infectious IBS Dr Pimentel molecular mimicry gut pathogens autoimmune disease gram negative bacteria

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 AIRPLANE

AIRPLANE

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 06:51 AM

Annie, hope you get to have the test, even if it isn't always accurate it is still one more tool. I would definitely be willing to have it done again, this time after having eaten a few bad foods, but would follow the pre-test diet rules the day before. It wasn't a good time to do the test for a few reasons, including the fact that I was doing a transit test at the same time. Plus it looks like Mayo Clinic, where I had it done, doesn't use the recommended lactulose. Sounds like they use D-Xylose instead which I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else. I didn't know enough at the time to ask, and the Dr I was seeing obviously wasn't interested in SIBO. They didn't discuss the results with me at all or ask me about my history which does include a few bouts of stomach bugs which is a big cause of it as well. If they do offer you treatment you will have some idea of what they should be giving you. I would guess you would tend more towards the methane side which as you read in the link, requires different or more meds than hydrogen.Rifaximin alone, if you could get it or afford it, isn't enough for methane.

I did some searching for the Bioflora probiotic. There are a lot of different products with that name, not just probiotics. Looks like it is made by a company in Argentina named Sidus Laboratories, under the brand name 'Biosidus'. The web sites where I saw the product weren't in English. I tried looking for the 4 ingredients individually but could only find 2 of them at Custom Probiotics, who had the Lactobacillus Casei and Plantarum, but not the Bifidobacterium Brevis or Streptococcus Faecalis. Assuming Bifidobacterium Brevis is the same as Bifidobacterium Breve, I saw that included in some probiotics that had other strains and prebiotics I wouldn't want. I could not find the Streptococcus Faecalis anywhere so am thinking it is not approved in the US.

TummyRumbles, I don't know what to say about the Cedars Sinai diet. It does sound like it isn't Dr Siebecker's first choice either. It is difficult because many of us don't seem to tolerate much of anything and it is just trial and error trying to find what bothers us the least. As mentioned before, it is thought that if we don't eat certain foods for awhile that we lose the enzymes to digest them. And as I think Dr Siebecker mentioned, if you do have SIBO, eating pretty much the same foods repeatedly can also lead to a negative reaction, like an immune response to them. Also, I have heard that some believe that we shouldn't consume any beverages around mealtimes because they might dilute the enzymes, just like with overeating. But that would be hard, especially if you take any meds or supplements that need to be taken with food. Yes, insulin- resistance is a big problem and many think it is due to carbs/starches, even so-called healthy ones.

#22 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9227 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:09 AM

Airplane--yes, it's really a shame Mayo wasn't interested in SIBO, didn't discuss the test results or your history with you and just general the way they treated you.  very unprofessional of them and not at all what one would expect from such a supposedly world class treatment center. 

yes i was thinking i'd tend toward methane too but i pretty much keep my constipation under control (more or less) with the laxative regimen my gastros have me on so i don't know how that affects things??

and yes, if i do test positive, the treatment has me a bit worried too because i really don't think my insurance company will cover rifaximin.  and i really can't afford to pay out of pocket for it either. maybe once but that's it. last time i checked, inhouse pharmacy has it (generic) but they need a script. might have to go that route. it's a lot cheaper. over on inspire i've read posts from people who got it from inhouse and they were safistied with the service and quality of the med.

and yes i know you have to take an additional antibiotic for methane.  i totally cannot take neomycin.  i took it once and had permanent ototoxic side effects--it raised the level of my tinnitus permanently. no way can i risk taking this med again.  i wish i could. so...well, we'll see...

thanks for your additional information on bioflora...

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Vinculin, bacterial toxin, CDT-B, SIBO, post infectious IBS, Dr Pimentel, molecular mimicry, gut pathogens, autoimmune disease, gram negative bacteria

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here