I need advice please 7 yr IBS functional Abdom pain everyday 1.5 years now - Parent's discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

I need advice please 7 yr IBS functional Abdom pain everyday 1.5 years now

IBS functional Abdominal pain children IBS

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 smile4lina

smile4lina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 13 March 2015 - 10:54 PM

Advertisement

My son is 7 and has had abdominal pain at the belly button for 18 months, everyday moaning 5x a day.  He has had a ct scan, ultrasound, and colonoscopy with impaction and some inflammation.  Doctors say it's constipation, but we have been trying to treat it for years with increasing fiber, more water, exercise, sleep, decrease stress, tried the elimination diet with no wheat, diary, nuts for 2 weeks.  His 6 x-ray shows he has a lot of poop, but his stomach was soft per 4 doctors.   His stool is type 4 the healthiest, and no pain when he poops, urine clear.

He isn't eating any diary.  Has 4 tsp of Miralax, 14g of fiber daily.  He has tried Levsin and Bento that helped for a month but gradually pain came back.  His triggers are car rides and heat.  Our schedules have changed so much that he wants to just stay home everyday because he prefers to be at home and he doesn't like car rides caused by the pain.

His diagnosis is constipation, functional abdominal pain, and IBS.  My question is how does your child describe what the pain is like?  Does your child have pain everyday?  How do you deal with a child who moans about pain intermittent throughout the day?

Asking for help,

Lina

#2 jaumeb

jaumeb

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1607 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:50 AM

I am an adult and I am always in pain. I am sorry for your kid. I am trying to find a solution. If you read my past posts you will find what helped me. I haven't found a final solution yet.

#3 smile4lina

smile4lina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 19 July 2015 - 07:01 PM

My son is feeling so much better!  We finally got antidepressants from the 3rd Opinion GI doctor.  Elavil 10mg with noo side effects for my 7 yr old except falling sleep right away and getting more sleep.  =)  Wishing you all will also find some type of relief.  

Medications may also be used in the treatment of FAPS. For continuous or severe abdominal pain, your doctor might prescribe an antidepressant. It is important to understand that these medications are not just used to treat individuals who have depression but also act as pain relievers (central analgesics) for treatment of FAPS and many other painful conditions. Antidepressant medications can help stimulate the brain to increase the signals, which block pain transmission from the abdomen to the brain. It may take several weeks before a difference is noticed. (Table 2)

Table 2 – TREATMENT OF FAPS:

MEDICATIONS

• Antidepressants act as pain relievers.
  • These medications stimulate the brain to send signals and close the pain-control gate in the abdomen.
  • Antidepressants might take several weeks to work, so you shouldn’t stop taking them until your doctor tells you to do so.
  • Side effects are possible but usually go away after a few days.

#4 jaumeb

jaumeb

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1607 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 02:35 AM

Thanks for the update.

#5 smile4lina

smile4lina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:17 AM

The meds stopped working.  I think he took the meds for 2-3 months.  It helped at first, then did, then didn't.  Too many factors, his age 7 at the time, he just had a colonoscopy, placebo effect?   He has had this pain for 2.5 yrs and we think it's gone and it comes back.  Sometimes he would think the pain is a 9 severity (we've been the the ER 3 times).  As for frequency 5x a day everyday, except the 3 month gap.  Pretty much he would say nothing helped.  We always try to get him to drink water, eat, poop, use an icepack (cools his body temp) when he is in pain.  We just have to distract him and let time hopefully heal. 

#6 jaumeb

jaumeb

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1607 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:34 AM

Sorry to hear that he is suffering. This disease is really tough.

I think I am making slow progress but I am still in pain.

#7 Kmanzo0123

Kmanzo0123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 08:34 PM

Hi smile4lina
How is your son doing? My son is 6 and we have been going through this since February. He is going to either go on Zoloft or elavil next. We are at our wits end. Nothing stops his pain!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: IBS functional Abdominal pain, children, IBS

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here