5 Easy Tips I Give to My Patient Who Suffer From Reflux - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

5 Easy Tips I Give to My Patient Who Suffer From Reflux

GERD reflux heartburn tips PPI

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ToySoldier

ToySoldier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:12 AM

Advertisement

I hope it is ok to post this on here but there seem to be a lot of people who suffer from reflux. There are a couple of easy tips that I recommend for my patients who have this problem. I'm hoping that some of these will help you out. 

As always, make sure you talk to you doctor before implementing any of there

1) Eliminate trigger foods: these can be things like chocolate, caffeine, tomato paste products
2) if you are taking a PPI, make sure you are taking it correctly: most PPIs need to be taken 30 minutes prior to first meal. this is a common reason to still have reflux despite meds
3) Drink mint tea - for some of my patients, mint tea tends to not only help with GERD, but also other GI issues
4) Avoid late night meals - this means waiting 3-4 hours prior to your last meal before laying down
5) Keep your head elevated - this should help the reflux from going back into your esophagus, causing GERD symptoms. 

#2 sarvesh1

sarvesh1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 02:02 AM

Thanks @ToySoldier. From past 6 months I am suffering from acid reflux. I did the treatment to cure it but i guess it was not cure fully. I avoid late night meals and food like chocolate, caffeine, tomato paste etc as my doctor also suggest the same things. But in your post I find the new suggestion that "Drink mint tea". I am going to follow that. Lets see how it will helps me to cure my reflux problems. Thanks for your suggestions.

#3 tummyrumbles

tummyrumbles

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 05:14 PM

The main cause for a lot of people might be over-eating. Reduce your meal size at each sitting and see if symptoms reduce.

My Wordpress blog: http://ibsnaturalcure.wordpress.com

#4 Saoirse

Saoirse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 10:25 PM

Thank you for posting this, ToySolider.  I definitely will be following your advice! 

#5 SanFranLarry

SanFranLarry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 11:10 AM

I have always heard/read that mint was bad for GERD (in regard to the mint tea).

#6 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9939 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 12:58 PM

peppermint pills and mint tea always aggravated my GERD.  i avoid them for that reason.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#7 Raw015

Raw015

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 07 January 2018 - 07:24 AM

peppermint is NO-GO for gerd as it relaxes the LES.

Shocking that a MD recommends that. 

#8 RefluxMDInc.

RefluxMDInc.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 14 August 2018 - 05:30 AM

Thanks for sharing your information ToySoldier.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GERD, reflux, heartburn, tips, PPI

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here