Painful colonoscopy, now I need endoscopy and terrified - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Painful colonoscopy, now I need endoscopy and terrified

colonoscopy endoscopy celiac IBS-D

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 J_2015

J_2015

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:46 PM

Advertisement

So I've suffered with IBS-D for years, I would say it really started when I was in highschool. My family doctor "diagnosed" me a few years ago. This past November my symptoms finally escalated and I noticed some blood in my stool. I went to my GP office and saw another doctor who works in the same office. She referred me to a gastroenterologist. 3 months later I get to see the gastroenterologist and upon reviewing my strong negative family history he signs me up for a colonoscopy. He also gave me a requisition for a celiac blood test.  

I had the colonoscopy last week. It was the most painful traumatic experience of my life. I was given a sedative, but the pain was so awful that I woke up from the sedative part way through totally alert crying and moaning in pain. They gave me more sedative but it did nothing at that point. I've heard your not suppose to remember much if anything of your procedure. I remember the end quite clearly and have subsequently had nightmares about it. Not something I want to repeat any time soon.

Today I got a call from the doctors office. My blood test results came in. They are positive for celiac disease. As a side note, even with my negative family history no one in my family has been tested for celiac before. The test though is not 100% accurate, and so the gastroenterologist has booked me for an endoscopy to get a biopsy to confirm it. On one hand I'm excited to finally have a reason for all my gastro issues, and a possible solution. On the other I am petrified to go back to the hospital to have another tube shoved in me. 

Has anyone else experience a painful colonoscopy and have you had an endoscopy? If yes was it equally as painful or was it easier? I'm thinking I may call the office tomorrow to talk to them about my concerns.

#2 jaumeb

jaumeb

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1607 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 04:59 AM

Mention that you had problems in the colonoscopy so that they make sure that there are no problems during the endoscopy.

A possible option (I'm not saying a good one), is to start a healthier diet with no gluten and see what happens. If that resolves all your problems you may not need further tests.

I have been gluten free for longer than five years and I am still symptomatic.

#3 bushja1

bushja1

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 09:32 AM

I had a colonoscopy and an endoscopy at the same time.   Had no problems with either.     I don't remember anything.   The doctor said there was nothing to having a endscopy...not near as potentially bad as the colonoscopy.  

#4 Missi

Missi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 21 April 2015 - 11:05 PM

I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy at the same time last month and my doc made sure I was knocked out for it.  I didn't feel a thing.  I hope that your endoscopy goes (or went) well.  No patient should have to endure that pain.  If you haven't had the endoscopy yet, make sure they know you want to be knocked out.  Or find a GI doc that will agree to let you be knocked out for it.  A friend of mine told me they didn't put her to sleep at all during both the colonoscopy and the endoscopy (at the same time)... she said she screamed the whole time and it hurt like hell.  She was in another country outside the US and I wonder if different countries have different practices?  Good grief.

Missi

"In the end it is love that wins the heart."

#5 Sharny

Sharny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:31 AM

6 years ago i had my first colonoscopy and the same thing happen to me.3 years ago i had a colonoscopy and that went fine did not wake up til it was all over,i would mention it to the doctor make sure they know before hand.

#6 apeynurse

apeynurse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 07 May 2015 - 10:44 AM

Hello I am a 22 year old female. My IBS symptoms have gotten worse over the years. I went to my gp about having diarrhea up to 12 times a day than I was referred to a gastro. My celiac blood test came back positive stool studies negative. I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy done at the same time. They did the endoscopy first and I do not remember a thing but I did wake up during the colonoscopy to some discomfort. My results did not conclude celiac disease since I did not have any damage to my small intestines. So they concluded I have irritable bowel syndrome with gluten intolerance. I am currently gluten free. I do not eat wheat rye or barley. The diet has helped a little although I still experience frequent diarrhea and bowel movements. Hope your endoscopy goes well. It isn't at scary as it may seem

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: colonoscopy, endoscopy, celiac, IBS-D

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here