Maltodextrin as cause, not cure, of IBS - IBS News, Media, Research Results, Discussion or Abstracts - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Maltodextrin as cause, not cure, of IBS

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Moises

Moises

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 07:17 AM

Advertisement

Deregulation of intestinal anti-microbial defense by the dietary additive, maltodextrin

Both Gottschall and Pimentel have promoted the Elemental Diet as an effective treatment of IBS. The primary ingredient of commercial Elemental Diets available from pharmacies is maltodextrin. Although maltodextrin is a polysaccharide, it has very weak chemical bonds, so is easily digested into glucose. Although Gottschall inveighs against polysaccharides, the fact is that she praises the Elemental Diet. And Pimentel has published a number of studies demonstrating that the Elemental Diet is the most effective treatment available against SIBO.

I only have access to the abstract given in the link at the top of this message. The abstract suggests that maltodextrin disrupts the microbiome. There are a number of accounts on this forum from users who tried the Elemental Diet (including two accounts from me). Their anecdotal results were mixed.

• annie7 likes this

#2 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9157 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 07:36 AM

Moises--thanks for posting this. 

i've been recently diagnosed with SIBO and have been reading about the elemental diet--including your very helpful posts about your experience with it.  so i appreciate this information.  

i had pretty much decided against trying the elemental diet anyway because of the expense and the fact that i am quite underweight.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#3 jaumeb

jaumeb

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1607 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 10:41 AM

AFAIK Gottschall never promoted the elemental diet. She promoted a home-made specific carbohydrate diet.

#4 Moises

Moises

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 03:49 PM

I have Gottschall's self-published book Food and the Gut Reaction. It was later picked up by a commercial publishing house and retitled.

The many research reports indicating that the synthetic Elemental Diet is beneficial in intestinal diseases provide support for the Specific Carbohydrate Diet which can be used from home (3).

The practical Specific Carbohydrate Diet aims for the same goals as the synthetic Elemental Diet: the reduction and change of bacterial growth and the maintenance of the optimum nutritional state of the patient (19).

I taker her reasoning to be:

1. There is substantial evidence from peer-reviewed journals that the Elemental Diet is effective in healing many digestive disorders.

2. The Specific Carbohydrate attempts to replicate with natural foods the healing properties of the synthetic Elemental Diet.

3. Therefore, the evidence supporting the Elemental Diet can be taken as evidence supporting the Specific Carbohydrate Diet.

Thus, I take her to be supportive of the Elemental Diet. I never heard of such a diet until I read her book. But I thought, from reading her book, that such a diet was only available by prescription. Only after I found out about Pimentel on this forum, did I learn that the Elemental Diet was available without prescription.

I understand why one might question whether Gottscahll "promoted" the Elemental Diet. It is true that she energetically promoted her Specific Carbohydrate Diet. Likewise, one might argue that Pimentel has promoted Xifaxan more energetically than Vivonex Plus. I suppose I could have more accurately written that "Pimentel and Gottschall both had positive things to say about the Elemental Diet,."

#5 jaumeb

jaumeb

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1607 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 04:35 AM

Maltodextrin ILLEGAL

This item is Illegal.

Maltodextrin is the worst of the small molecules of sugars. It is a very short chain of glucose molecules (derived from starch). The chances of digestion are practically nil. It therefore will feed bacteria and because of its particular structure, Elaine feels it is worse than even lactose.

source: Breaking the Vicious Cycle website

Elaine Gottschall was totally against maltodextrin and it is not allowed on her SCD diet.

#6 Moises

Moises

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 03:58 PM

Elaine Gottschall was totally against maltodextrin and it is not allowed on her SCD diet.

I agree with you!

And yet . . .

Here is the ingredient list of Vivonex Plus, one of the premier Elemental Diets, that I could only find in a hospital pharmacy:

Maltodextrin (from Corn), L-Glutamine, Modified Cornstarch, L-Leucine, L-Arginine Acetate, Soybean Oil and less than 2% of Magnesium Gluconate, L-Lysine Acetate, Calcium Glycerophosphate, L-Isoleucine, L-Valine, L-Phenylalanine, Sodium Citrate, L-Threonine, Potassium Citrate, L-Cysteine Hydrochloride, Citric Acid, L-Methionine, L-Tyrosine, L-Histidine Hydrochloride, L-Aspartic Acid, L-Proline, L-Tryptophan, Disodium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Bitartrate, L-Serine, L-Alanine, Glycine, Ascorbic Acid, Polyglycerol Esters of Fatty Acids, Taurine, L-Carnitine, Alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate, Zinc Sulfate, Potassium Sorbate and BHA and BHT and Tocopherols (To Maintain Freshness), Ferrous Sulfate, Niacinamide, Vitamin A Palmitate, Calcium Pantothenate, Copper Gluconate, Vitamin D3, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Manganese Sulfate, Riboflavin, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Chromium Chloride, Biotin, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Molybdate, Sodium Selenite, Phytonadione, Vitamin B12.

So, which Elemental Diet did Elaine Gottschall think was good?

If I remember correctly, Pimentel said that the primary ingredient of the Elemental Diet is glucose. Yet he recommended Vivonex Plus and, as you can see in the ingredients ordered by weight above, its primary ingredient is maltodextrin.

I think part of the reason we are going back and forth on this is that there are different kinds of maltodextrin. It might be the case that some are more easily digestible into glucose than others. So, some might essentially be equivalent to glucose, of which Pimentel and Gottschall approved.

#7 jaumeb

jaumeb

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1607 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 02:36 AM

Thanks for all the information Moises. I see that the second ingredient is glutamine. I am supplementing with glutamine now. It doesn't seem to help with my D but it seems to help with the pain.

#8 SiusannaJ

SiusannaJ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:55 PM

Maltodextrin in the gut of IBS sufferer may create salmonella-like environment. 

http://giving.clevel...s food additive

Siusanna 

No less than the trees and the stars, you have a right to be here.  - Desiderata

rolleyes.gif  

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here