Woken up by morning gas - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Woken up by morning gas

sleep gas

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 IndianRopeTrick

IndianRopeTrick

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 12:18 AM

Advertisement

7-8 days, I woke up after about 5 hours of sleep. I wake up due to a lot of morning gas. Then, I was unable to feel sleepy throughout the rest of the day (as always), even when there was little or no stress and even when I stopped using caffeine for a month. I noticed that this started happening when I had an omeprazole 40mg in the night for my hiatal hernia & mild reflux. I ate ome  2-3 hours after meals. Could this have something to do with my hiatal hernia or medicine or both ?

Anyway, for 7 days after the previous days, I stopped taking omeprazole at all and used Align probiotic in the night. Then, the symptoms improved and I felt better for 2 days. Then, coughing quite a bit in the day. Suspected it to be cough due to reflux and took omeprazole for 1 day. Was woken by gas again. Confused. I need my golden sleep back.

IBS Free after about 8 years ! Now, I am living with a small Hiatal hernia and fixing my sleep problems. Not too bad.

#2 IndianRopeTrick

IndianRopeTrick

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 10:30 PM

I finally decided to stop avoiding medicines to fix my sleep. I use nyqil (OTC, cough medicine) OR trazodone (RX, actually an antidepressant) to help me sleep on bad days. I am going to try zzzquil instead of the nyquil, because nquil is actually for cough. NOTE that sleep medication might be addictive and might harm you in the long run. So, approach with care.

In addition, you can try using CBT and good sleep hygiene to improve your peace and sleep. Also, try apps like "calm" to meditate, control anxiety, improve sleep, practice gratitude etc. It has helped me to calm my mind. 

YMMV.

IBS Free after about 8 years ! Now, I am living with a small Hiatal hernia and fixing my sleep problems. Not too bad.

#3 lithium

lithium

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 24 January 2016 - 12:52 AM

Things are so bad that I need an antipsychotic(zyprexa) for sleep. I never could have imagined that digestive system problems could bring you to your knees like this.

#4 marleyma

marleyma

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 24 January 2016 - 12:26 PM

I found that liquid medicines like nyquil upset my stomach even worse. I have been taking otc sleep aid pill (generic Walmart brand) that seems to help alot - but only the gel caps seem to work vs the tablet. This keeps me asleep even of I go to bed not feeling that well.

#5 Leo41

Leo41

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 25 January 2016 - 12:15 PM

Seems I rarely can sleep more than 4-5 hours now with IBS. 

If you deal with morning gas, and associated pain I highly suggest a big cup of fennel tea right before bed. Yes you'll have to get up to pee, but the morning is SO much better. I have found that my morning IBS pain is a combo of the colon becoming very active @ 5:00-6:00 am AND trapped gas. I still get the activity (and resulting light cramping/spasming after), but with the fennel the pain is much much less as the gas is not contributing. 

#6 funnigurl13

funnigurl13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 25 January 2016 - 02:06 PM

I eat the most in the evenings, and try to get in a snack around 2 hours before bed, but I find it puts me to bed with gas, and I wake up with it too! May have to look into the tea, but not a licorice fan. I know you swear by it though, Leo.

#7 Leo41

Leo41

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:04 PM

I eat the most in the evenings, and try to get in a snack around 2 hours before bed, but I find it puts me to bed with gas, and I wake up with it too! May have to look into the tea, but not a licorice fan. I know you swear by it though, Leo.

Lol, I do love my teas yes. I had used the fennel before to help with gas and bloat. Also that awful thing where you eat too late, and it just sits there creating pressure where you can't lay down.. keep getting up. I had looked for more of a use, and recently I finally realized a good bit of my morning distress was gas a lot of times, and thought let me try a fennel every night. Loving it.

I personally cannot stand licorice. For me it has never really tasted like that. None of the harshness, much more grassy to me than anywhere near licorice, but then you likely know I only use heather's. 

#8 minimalizer

minimalizer

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:48 PM

DRINK 8-10C of purified with minerals added back in throughout the whole day constantly so things don't get stuck and cause gas;I even drink a few swallows each of the 2x I get up in the night. That getting up also helps move through some stuck gas. I usually go back to sleep easily enough. I take the last part of my Calcium carbonate for the day with magnesium glycinate/lycinate (not diarrhea causing like mag. citrate or  mag. oxide was for me) before bed.

1/04/18: Pain's my main problem. IBS-D prone, but not with methylcellulose soluble non-gassy caplets still, 2 before anything eaten.  Also, 10C water/day (Have to if taking fiber supplement and soluble foods). Frequent, small and well chewed meals. No more salads, seeds or peel, whole grains, raw vegetables STILL. Have used in the past antispasmotics, low dose tricyclic anti-depressent (for ibs and inflammation)/both VERY drying even at low amounts and disorienting, CBD oil and IBgard's encapsulated peppermint (works better than older type enteric peppermint). Have occasional inflammation in illium at end of small intestine, but it was not crohns. Activated charcoal when needed for flatulence, simethicone only works on upper stomach area for upper gas (burping) right away btw, not flatulence at end of g.i. track. Tried Kratom, good but itchy and didn't prevent a flare up from eating a wrong foods. Raising dosage didn't kick down inflammation. Now back to being certified for (legally available here) medical high CBD Cannabis/Marijuana RSO (thick oil form), more expensive. I needed more anti-inflammitory help from the THC in regular cannabis oil, instead of just CBD oil.

#9 funnigurl13

funnigurl13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 26 January 2016 - 03:45 PM

Leo, if Heather's tea doesn't taste very licorice-y, I might have to try it out. Although my appetite is pretty bad, and I need to put weight on...not sure if the fennel would work against that.

#10 Leo41

Leo41

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 26 January 2016 - 04:10 PM

Leo, if Heather's tea doesn't taste very licorice-y, I might have to try it out. Although my appetite is pretty bad, and I need to put weight on...not sure if the fennel would work against that.

Heya...

Honestly to me it doesn't. If you like send me your address in PM, and I will send you a couple bags to try in a letter. 

Fully understand the appetite thing, the teas can be a little filling, but important to understand the better you feel, the more you will want to eat. I can't see where it would work against gaining weight. Honestly hemp (cannabis) CBD oil would be the thing I would tell you to try for gaining weight. You can get it legally, I have had great results, and your appetite will increase, not to mention how you feel. 

#11 funnigurl13

funnigurl13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 29 January 2016 - 10:25 AM

Just sent you a PM, Leo. I researched the Hemp CBD oil. Looks like a tiny bottle is around $60. Does that sound right? I've purchased supplements and such in the past and either never ended up starting them, or took one dose or two, so I guess I want to be sure it's worth pursuing.

#12 Leo41

Leo41

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 29 January 2016 - 03:51 PM

Just sent you a PM, Leo. I researched the Hemp CBD oil. Looks like a tiny bottle is around $60. Does that sound right? I've purchased supplements and such in the past and either never ended up starting them, or took one dose or two, so I guess I want to be sure it's worth pursuing.

Hi there, sent back a pm. I paid $39.00 at my local health/supplement store. Yeah the bottle is small but I am only using 3 drops 3x day, so in a month I have barely made a dent. 

I wish I could promise it will help you, but all I can tell you is how I am doing on the brand I am taking (Regalabs, which I have not been able to find online). With IBS I am well beyond any placebo effect I think. All I can say is without question since I have been using it I feel much better. My stool is the best it has been in a year. My appetite is actually beyond what I am capable of eating. AND all of this is with breaking (some) the strict diet I have held for nearly a year. Last 2 nights I actually had ice cream, with great feeling day today. Is it that? Honestly if it is not I have no idea why I feel better, if anything I have dropped things... no more magnesium, hardly ever reach for a bentyl. 

If I was advising me, I would force myself to try it. 

http://cannabisoilfo...y-cannabis-oil/

#13 funnigurl13

funnigurl13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 31 January 2016 - 01:21 PM

Thank you for that link! I just placed an order online for a super small bottle, just to try it out. I have an appt with my doctor this week, so I'll ask about it then too. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sleep, gas

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here