25 y.o. male prescribed Effexor XR (150mg) & Xanax (0.5mg) - Diarrhea Prescription Medications - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

25 y.o. male prescribed Effexor XR (150mg) & Xanax (0.5mg)

ibs-d diarrhea anxiety stress xanax effexor moving bloating urgency

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mswan12

mswan12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 13 April 2015 - 06:59 PM

Advertisement

Hello All!

This is my first time to post in the forum. I'm really glad I found this site a few weeks ago. It's been comforting to know I'm not alone.

While driving (moving) to Seattle from Kansas City, my grandmother had a stroke. I began having anxiety and diarrhea (especially in the morning) that was arguably some of the worst I've had. 

I've always had IBS-D  with urgency issues (and bloating, gas, cramps, abdominal discomfort etc), but this flare up was especially bad. 

Honestly, I feel like a lot of it was mental. Leaving my job of four years, leaving home again, leaving a serious relationship, a dying grandmother, new job jitters etc. 

Now that my grandmother has passed away, I need to make up my mind on whether or not i want to go back to Seattle to take the job. 

But i'm nervous about being in a new city with my agoraphobia tendencies: not knowing where bathrooms are, using public transit, not knowing my 'safety' restaurants, and finding a good living situation.  

I went to my family doctor, poured my heart out about the dilemma, after reviewing my lifestyle, he agreed that I should try medication to curb anxiety which would hopefully relax my gut. He said many anti-depressants will slow down the digestive tract.

I took the 0.5mg Xanax the day he prescribed. I felt sick to my stomach for about 10 minutes (then it went away), I felt a little foggy and slow, but not too bad the rest of the day. I took it two days later again, for the cemetery funeral (no bathrooms) and was just fine! :) 

Today, I tried just the Effexor XR( 150mg) and had more visible side effects: nausea (a few hours later), followed by a kind of loose bowel movement, sweating, slowed breathing, decreased appetite, and kind of a sedated state of mind. 

I will take it tomorrow again but I'm a little concerned about taking it. I've yet to ever have an accident in public, but I really can get a panic attack when I feel like I need to go, sweating, chills etc. But I'm hoping these medicines will work. He said the Xanax is as needed, and Effexor should be daily, but I feel like if the Effexor has too many side effects, I might just use the Xanax as needed, especially as things calm down.

Any advice? Should I use one over the other? Advice about moving to a new city??

Thank you all, 

Michael 

#2 TooMuchPain

TooMuchPain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 03 July 2015 - 12:34 AM

Hi Michael,
i just read your post and am wondering if you continued the Effexor and if it helped you?

I have tried a number of anti-depressants in my quest to ease my horrible IBS-D, and really most of them have just made my stomach issues worse.  However, I have heard from some people that finding the right anti-depressant, and the right dose of it, really has helped them.

I would suggest starting off slowly with any new medication.  I too am terrified of starting new meds, because I have to go to work and go out in public and am afraid of sudden attacks of diarrhea.

Have you tried Immodium to prevent diarrhea?  I have found it very useful - i take a half of one of the tablets and it slows things down for me, but not so much that I get constipated.  It is also reassuring when I have to go somewhere - to a meeting or a dinner, and I am feeling worried that I might have an IBS attack.  It really helps me psychologically and physically too.

I would be careful with the Xanax as that can be quite addicting.  But I myself have used benzos (Ativan) to deal with the anxiety that IBS brings up, and while I don't think Xanax or Ativan actually affects your gut, it helps you to relax and not feel so stressed.  And I do believe that stress can bring on IBS attacks.

Best of luck to you!

Alison

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ibs-d, diarrhea, anxiety, stress, xanax, effexor, moving, bloating, urgency

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here