Asking for help from your GP regarding mental health. - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Asking for help from your GP regarding mental health.

anxiety stress depression GP help mental health

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Chris1110

Chris1110

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:11 AM

Advertisement

Hello, I discovered this fantastic website just today after a recommendation from my mother (who suffers with bi-polar and wanted to help me take control of my IBS).

I was diagnosed two years ago with IBS, and was suffering for two years prior to that. I've also been constantly going through cycles of depression since as long as I can remember, which is now a dangerous balancing act between stress and anxiety being my main trigger for my IBS flare ups, and feeling so low I don't want to do anything about it.

Well after a flare up of immeasurable pain the other day, I feel I need to take steps to take control of my life, and with the help of this website, other peoples stories and some of the relaxation techniques, I already feel better, and able to make change. But I wanted to ask, how can I approach the subject of mental health with my doctor?

I've thought about it several times, but never had the stones (or wanted the meds) to actually see a doctor about it, but with the state of my life at the moment, I need to try something new, or else continue the cycle as I have been, which is rapidly growing old.

So, would any of you wonderful members of this forum that has already had a big impact on me, be kind enough to advise me how you went about discussing your mental health with your GP, and how to approach the topic of asking for help with anxiety and stress meds?

If I can manage my anxiety and depression, I feel I could really impact how I handle my IBS, and get back to a more regular life.

Thank you.

#2 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10269 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 10:38 AM

Hi Chris and welcome to the board

if it were me, i would just tell my doctor about all this--mention that, as you've said, you've been going through cycles of depression for as long as you can remember and now that you have ibs, a chronic illness, the depression is becoming harder to manage despite the fact that you've tried relaxation techniques, etc.  and  that all the chronic pain is further exacerbating all of this. which is only natural.  and mention that now you'd like to try an antidepressant, especially since you've already tried other things that helped but not completely.

and yes, do tell your doc what you said at the end of your post--that you feel that if you could manage your anxiety and depression, you feel you  could really impact how you handle your  IBS, and get back to a more regular life.

i really your doctor will understand.  living and dealing with a chronic illness --ibs or any chronic illness--is very hard and depression can be a natural consequence of all that.  i'm sure you're not the only patient who has mentioned this to your doc.  in fact, lately, after every doctor's appointment  i've had--even my surgeon--i get a survey sent to me either in the mail or by e-mail regarding my experience with that doc and one of the questions that is always asked is did this doctor ask you how your mental health was etc.  and that question is always on the health history forms i fill out for the doc.

good luck with everything.  i think you have a good plan here.  keep us posted!  

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#3 Chris1110

Chris1110

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 16 April 2015 - 10:49 AM

Annie, thank you for the warm welcome! and thank you for your advice, knowing there are others all over the world gathered on this medium and sharing advice and helping each other is incredibly supporting.

I will get myself in to see a doctor tomorrow and see how I go from there. All the best to you as well!

#4 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10269 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 10:56 AM

oh good--so glad to hear that!  keep us posted smile.png   and yes, thanks, all the best to you as well.  take care.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: anxiety, stress, depression, GP, help, mental, health

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here