HELP - Giardia - how to get rid of it? - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

HELP - Giardia - how to get rid of it?

Giardia IBS

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bhoon

Bhoon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 09:40 AM

Advertisement

Hello,

First time poster but a reader since last 2 years (since my trouble started). After India visit, I started experiencing gas troubles every time I ate and even started getting burps when on empty stomach. Flatulence increased mainly in the evenings and soon realized that my normal life is gone with making toilet visits more than often. I must pass out gas after I eat anything otherwise loud noises / rumblings can start in my tummy. Have learned the hard way to manage and control my (passing out of) gas.

My immediate visit to PCP focused more on the routing food log, observing what the trigger is, trying ACV, GASX, Beano etc to no avail. PCP started writing IBS as the visit summary. This went on for about 2 years with constant suffering. Finally decided to go to GI. He had me done pathogen panel stool testing which diagnosed Giardia. I was happy atleast with knowing what is causing this discomfort. However, after diagnosis I have taken Nitazoxanide ( 3 days - gave tummy pain and not very effective) and Flagyl after I tested positive again. Took Flagyl for 2 weeks and felt wonderful with no flatulence, no rumblings. However, since flagyl is over, my symptoms have returned. I am so disappointed and have started wondering it I will ever be infection free. Have lost like 10-12 lbs of my weight.

I have started taking Triphala, black walnut wormwood and am continuing with VSL but the situation doesnt seem to improve.

Looking for some positive experiences if people got cured of this annoying and deadly parasite. I am thinking of going ayurvedic way and taking Kutaja powder. This is affecting my work, my personal life. any suggestions will be very helpful.

Thank you,

#2 Missi

Missi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 22 April 2015 - 11:30 AM

I'm sorry I don't know much about Giardia but it sounds like you're being aggressive with figuring out how to get a cure for it!  Good for you!  I read your post because I've wondered if I, too, have a parasite and I'm going to bring my thoughts up to my GI doc when I go see him in a couple weeks.  Maybe there is another site similar to this one that deals with parasite infections?  Wish I could be of help.  

Missi

"In the end it is love that wins the heart."

#3 jaumeb

jaumeb

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1607 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 01:20 PM

Is the parasite still there? Have you repeated the test after the treatment?

#4 Bhoon

Bhoon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 07:43 PM

Hi Missi, Jaumeb,

Thanks for your replies. I have submitted another stool test. Awaiting result.. I think it is going to be positive as I do have those symptoms. I have started taking VSL 2 times a day ( earlier was once a day) and am thinking that it may be helping as I have less urge to go to toilets. but who knows.. this stupid thing is better one day and worse the other. I took wormwood for about 2 weeks and am having serious cough (with mucus) issues. Dont know if its because of wormwood or its seasonal. May be I am trying way too many things in the desperation of getting rid of this bug.

One thing I have learned is you start naturopathy  - the sooner the better. I have found Giardia topic on topix.com and people have elaborated their experiences over there. I posted here in the hope that I may get someone with similar experience and cure.

What anyone can learn here is docs love to give IBS as the root cause for stomach issues that they don't want to get deep into finding what exactly is causing. Unfortunately all the tummy ailments have mostly same symptoms. Hard to find out what is going on unless you start eliminating things. But a stool test ( pathogen panel) is a must to rule out any infection.

#5 jaumeb

jaumeb

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1607 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:56 AM

I agree. My last stool test came positive for candida.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Giardia, IBS

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here