constant chest & facial flushing - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

constant chest & facial flushing

symptoms strange symptom new help worried

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mommasmith74

mommasmith74

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 05 May 2015 - 08:53 PM

Advertisement
Hello all. I am new to this site & to IBS... In as much as I was just recently diagnosed by a GI that said he believes I've probably had it my whole life. Used to be chronically constipated with occasional bout of severe cramping & sudden diarrhea. Had many other sypmtoms too but no idea they were related to IBS. GI guy also said I was done a terrible disservice by having my gallbladder removed in January due solely to low ejection fraction... He said you can't just go removing parts from people with IBS as it wreaks long term havoc on the entire GI system. OK so, here I am nearly 4 months post op, had EGD few weeks ago for upper GI pain & feeling like trying to swallow around a golf ball... It was basically unremarkable except a mild gastritis. Soon after the pain behind my sternum & my golf ball throat got waaaay worse. I stopped the PPI I was on (had been on high dose for 3 years) & amazingly within a couple days all upper GI pain was completely gone. I am dealing with some rebound heartburn but that I can manage! NOW.... Last week I started having intermittent daily facial flushing which I attributed to the likelihood of perimenopause (waiting lab results now) BUT by Saturday morning I was quite simply constantly pink - bright red from the chest up with what feels like an insane adrenaline rush. It is utterly terrifying! Add to this pain just under my left ribs & sometimes left chest & shoulder. No reason to suspect heart related issue but went to Dr anyway because I had spent the entire weekend in bed, flushing, adrenaline rush, chills but no fever & beyond exhausted... Slept almost the whole weekend. Monday I got up the same PLUS nausea & diarrhea :-( Dr seems perplexed & drew A LOT of labs & said next would be an abdominal CT for potentential pancreatic issue & head CT for potential hypothalmic or pituitary issue. FREAKING OUT RIGHT NOW! Taking a deep breath, realizing that every once in a while during all this I get a little pain under my right ribs, very bloated sometimes, and this morning mucousy yellow stool. ANYBODY HAD ANYTHING SIMILAR??? COULD THIS BE MY IBS ACTING UP? I am so new to all this I just don't know what to think but I'm def nervous. Any help would be appreciated!

#2 Texasangel

Texasangel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 08:17 PM

I don't have any words to help with this except we are here for you and hope for the best!! Have you gotten any test results back?

#3 SusanNJ74

SusanNJ74

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 09 February 2017 - 02:46 AM

Hello, mommasmith74,

I am new here (just joined tonight), and I see that this is an old post.  I am hoping you are still part of this group - I would love to hear what your experience has been since posting this.  I, too, am experiencing horrendous flushing that began early last year.  Last year, I was also having dry heaving (daily for 2 months straight), couldn't eat and lost over 30 lbs rather rapidly, large mucus pods on my stool and a bit of blood, constant nausea, horrific gas/bloating/gurgling/distension, and a constant feeling inside like my stomach was trying to eat itself.  I also switched from my usual constipation to diarrhea.  I suffered for 6 months before getting a proper diagnosis of C Diff.  Began Metronidazole, and thankfully was feeling better after one round of the antibiotic.  Still had to heal my gut, but knew I was on the right track finally.
I was eating Low-Fodmap at this point, trying to stay away from dairy til I healed more, and taking Culturelle.  Throughout the rest of the year, I had bouts of flushing here and there, but all in all, was feeling much better.

Fast forward to last fall...I ordered food from a diner one night that hit my tummy in all the wrong ways.  Horrible flushing that night.  And the next day.  And the next...etc.  Saw my gastro - he told me, "You're viral - go home and take antihistimines and you'll be fine by next week."  Well, fast forward to NOW...I have gone gluten free as a desperate resort and thought that was helping for a time, but the flushing is back every night now.  I was thinking it could be perimenopause, but I'm noticing my tummy acting up again now, too, and it's getting harder to eat again.  Not to mention, low body temp and horrible chills.
Been to several different doctors - had a myriad of tests done - so far, no answers.  

Looking for someone with similar symptoms to speak with.  I will add that my flushing is bright red, hot and can last 1 good hour during full flush, by the 2nd hour I start feeling some relief, and by 2.5 hrs or so, I'm finally starting to look mostly back to normal skin color.  This is now becoming a nightly ordeal again.  I also notice my upper tummy kicking in around the time I flush - I hear gurgles, tummy can distend, my hands go ice cold (feet, too), and I get an inner chill, palpitations and can feel nauseated.  

#4 ormaman333

ormaman333

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 08:06 PM

It def could be IBS related. Glad to hear you are seeking professional medical advice

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: symptoms, strange symptom, new, help, worried

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here