My 15 year old has IBS-c he is barely going to pass 9th grade - Parent's discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

My 15 year old has IBS-c he is barely going to pass 9th grade

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Teresa Perry Maynard

Teresa Perry Maynard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 09:34 AM

Advertisement
My 15 year old son was recently diagnosed with IBS. He has missed so many days that he may not pass and there is only a month left. So far his pediatrician didn't want us to scope him so we thought it was ulcers for the last 4 years. We finally got him scoped to find no ulcers. The GI said she thinks it's IBS. They said to go get biofeedback therapy and didn't give any other advice or meds. Please help what is our next step. We have him on the fodmaps diet but that isn't helping. Every morning it is a battle because he hurts so bad and my husband thinks he is just trying to get out of school.
  • Dave Smith likes this

#2 Freud

Freud

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 12:15 PM

First of all, tell your husband that's most definitely not the case. Make him read up on GI disorders. The last thing your son needs now when he's sick and struggling is disbelief from home. I dealt with that some in the beginning and it was just a huge extra stress that didn't help my physical and psychological wellbeing. Like your son I got sick around the age 15-16. Also, if you don't go to the bottom of your sons health issues now the risk is he'll be in it for the long run, so be thorough and don't accept lousy decisions and explanations from doctors, and don't accept the diagnose IBS too quickly.

What kind of tests has he gone through? Does he have any other symptoms? How does his FODMAP diet look? When did his symptoms start? Does he get better w.o food? Sorry about all the questions, but it's so hard for a forum to help without some basic information.

And would it be possible for him to take some time off and study from home? Would the school allow it? Or maybe he could go part time or something. I think it's important to take this seriously and work out solutions that will help him for now.

#3 Teresa Perry Maynard

Teresa Perry Maynard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 01:55 PM

Freud. This all started when I had fibroids in my uterus and couldn't get help for 6 months. Then my kidneys started to fail from my PKD(Polycystic kidney disease). He was in 6th grade at the time and we couldn't figure out why he was having a hard time and not wanting to go to school. We thought we would have trouble when he went into Jr high but not when he was still at the school he had been at since Kindergarten. One day I sat him down and figured out it was because of my health. I had a long talk with him and he was good for a while. I took him to the pediatrician several times and to children's hospital ER. This went on for a long time. They did blood test ,xrays there was nothing anybody could find. We took him in and had an allergy test done and that was fine. When we got him scoped she biopsies several areas and that was all good. We had his pediatrician do a blood test for gluten intolerance and that was good. His pediatrician had him on ant acids, tums, pepto. They all made him feel better for a bit. We are still working on the diet stuff trying to find stuff he likes from the fodmaps list. We have cut out gluten and dairy completely. He eats a lot of chex, oatmeal with non-hfcs syrup, sandwiches on gluten free bread, hamburgers made on a George Forman with gluten free buns. We got him some cantaloupe, honeydew, mandarin oranges,and grapes. The biofeedback can't see him till July. We haven't tried no food. He is always hungry and it doesn't matter what he eats . It all hurts.

#4 jaumeb

jaumeb

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1607 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 09:40 AM

There are many remedies and there is a lot of trial and error involved. What I am trying right now is SCD+boulardii+glutamine. Note that any of these changes can trigger a "die-off" process in which the symptoms aggravate.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here