Abdominal cavity doctor - Abdominal Pain - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Abdominal cavity doctor

cavity abdominal kidney

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 twonK

twonK

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 26 May 2015 - 09:53 PM

Advertisement

Hi,

I had a Pyeloplasty (kidney rebuilt) done many years ago and have always wondered if it's a factor with my abdominal pain.  One GI doc suggested possible scarring/binding to the outside of the gut.

As such I want to get the *outside* of my gut - the abdominal cavity (I think) - examined.  Which type of doctor should I see?  I have no idea.

Many thanks, Pete

Meds: Provigil, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, others

Current: IBS-C, OCD, Refractory Depression for 20+ years

Fixed: Hydronephrosis, Bilateral compartment syndrome

#2 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12300 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 04:33 AM

it sounds like your doctor was referring to adhesions caused by the surgery.  

a CT scan will show if organs are being kinked or twisted by adhesions.  talk to your gastro doc about this.  he may be able to order a CT scan for you to verify it. if he doesn't, then either go back to the surgeon who preformed the pyeloplasty or if that's not possible, have your gastro refer you to another surgeon.

i have adhesions from my hemicolectomy which was open abdominal surgery. i get a pulling sensation from them as well as pain.  we have another discussion about abdominal adhesions going on right now here on the board if you're interested and haven't already seen it. it's quite informative.

http://www.ibsgroup....ominal-surgery/

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#3 twonK

twonK

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 27 May 2015 - 01:28 PM

Hi Annie, thanks for the link, I just read it.  Unfortunately adhesions sound a lot like IBS - there's no effective treatment.

I can't realistically go back to my pyeloplasty doc, I don't even know if he's still practicing.  And it was an abdominal CT scan that spurred my current GI doc to do the colonoscopy (which showed nothing wrong) I just had.  Talk about depressing.

Meds: Provigil, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, others

Current: IBS-C, OCD, Refractory Depression for 20+ years

Fixed: Hydronephrosis, Bilateral compartment syndrome

#4 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12300 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 01:59 PM

so it sounds like your CT scan did not show any organs being kinked up or twisted by adhesions?

if it didn't, then that's a good thing..

sorry you're so depressed.  yes, it's hard when one is looking for answers and not finding any.  although, to me at least, it's worse if one finds an answer--like adhesions for example--that nothing really positive can be done about.

you do have my empathy..........

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cavity, abdominal, kidney

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here