IBS-M, Any help? What works for you? - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

IBS-M, Any help? What works for you?

ibs-m ibs-a help treatments

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kelseydiane31

kelseydiane31

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 11:41 AM

Advertisement

Fellow IBS-Mers, I noticed these forums really cater to IBS-D and C people but what works for those with IBS-M? I've had it for 10 years and I feel like I'm further and further away from health. Has anyone found any treatments or meds that help them with their IBS-M? I am so desperate!!! 

#2 acureisoutthere

acureisoutthere

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 11:24 AM

Hi,

If you really, really, want to fix your problem;

then please start learning about the human microbiome on Youtube and google.

You basically have an imbalance of bacteria in your intestinal tract.  For some reason or another, your good bacteria have been displaced and bad bacteria have taken their place, thus giving you your problems.

Probioitics  don't offer lasting relief.  They don't attach to the intestinal wall, and they don't fix the problem.  If you want to fix the problem, start learning about FMTs.  Fecal microbiome transplants.    These transplants are curing C. Diff with 80 to 90 % success rates for one treatment.  I cured my IBS-D in one treatment.  It works.

If you want to learn more about my procedure check here :  http://www.ibsgroup....ibs-d-its-gone/

The PowerofPoop website is also VERY informative.  Check it.  Just remember, don't use the blender method, we are trying to protect the helpful bacteria we are trying to transplant, not kill them off.

best wishes,

Joe

smile.png

#3 Amanda Nicole

Amanda Nicole

Dietitian

• Dietitians
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 08:43 AM

I've worked with some folks who had IBS with alternating diarrhea and constipation - they had pretty good results with the right nutritional support.

In a nutshell, I use a blood test with clients that helps pinpoint foods and chemicals that cause inflammation (inflammation can cause a wide range of symptoms - digestive issues, headaches/migraines, low energy, sleep issues, anxiety, depression, irritability, brain fog, and tons of others). The blood test is super helpful because trigger foods can vary from person to person... even foods that are considered "healthy" can trigger symptoms. With the help of the blood test, I design an eating plan that is 100% customized to each person and, because of this, clients typically see a 50-80% reduction in overall symptoms within 2 weeks (and continue to improve over several weeks after that).

It's amazing to see how much folks are able to improve with diet alone (when targeting inflammation, specifically) - even the microbiome is often affected favorably by the process that I use. Let me know if you'd like more info on this - I'd be happy to help! :)

- Amanda

#4 kelseydiane31

kelseydiane31

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 09:25 PM

I've worked with some folks who had IBS with alternating diarrhea and constipation - they had pretty good results with the right nutritional support.

In a nutshell, I use a blood test with clients that helps pinpoint foods and chemicals that cause inflammation (inflammation can cause a wide range of symptoms - digestive issues, headaches/migraines, low energy, sleep issues, anxiety, depression, irritability, brain fog, and tons of others). The blood test is super helpful because trigger foods can vary from person to person... even foods that are considered "healthy" can trigger symptoms. With the help of the blood test, I design an eating plan that is 100% customized to each person and, because of this, clients typically see a 50-80% reduction in overall symptoms within 2 weeks (and continue to improve over several weeks after that).

It's amazing to see how much folks are able to improve with diet alone (when targeting inflammation, specifically) - even the microbiome is often affected favorably by the process that I use. Let me know if you'd like more info on this - I'd be happy to help! smile.png

- Amanda

Hey Amanda,

I've worked with a dietician before with little results. What are the blood test you take testing for? I have gotten a whole bunch of tests done with everything coming back normal, is there something I am missing? 

#5 Amanda Nicole

Amanda Nicole

Dietitian

• Dietitians
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 10:28 PM

The test that I use is called the Mediator Release Test (MRT). MRT can only be used by dietitians who have specialized training (and successfully passed a certification exam) in inflammation/food sensitivities - a vast majority of dietitians do NOT have this advanced training/knowledge.

Most doctors haven't heard of MRT, unfortunately (and many docs are quick to just prescribe meds to mask symptoms vs. actually tackling the root cause of the issue), so it's very unlikely that you've already had this type of testing done.

I have some info about the test and process that I use on my site - http://getwellified.com/services/leap/ (there's also some additional info on my FAQs page - http://getwellified.com/faqs/#food-sensitivities). Hope that helps!

#6 kelseydiane31

kelseydiane31

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 06:44 PM

Hey Amanda, this is a great suggestion and I looked into it but I do not have any inflammation with IBS so I am not sure how this would work for me. 

#7 Amanda Nicole

Amanda Nicole

Dietitian

• Dietitians
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 08:48 AM

Actually, inflammation is involved in most ongoing health issues, including IBS.

In a nutshell, inflammation occurs when the immune system starts attacking something that it doesn't like - white blood cells release chemicals to fight off 'invaders'... this 'chemical warfare' is what actually causes symptoms. Symptoms of inflammation will vary from person to person depending on where in the body this 'fighting' is taking place and which cells are involved. Some people experience digestive issues as a result, while others may experience other symptoms (aches/pains, low energy, mood swings, brain fog, lack of concentration/focus, elevated blood sugar levels, anxiety, depression, sleep issues, thyroid dysfunction, etc.). Inflammation can also be subclinical, meaning it may not produce super obvious symptoms (yet inflammation is still taking place and causing damage, which catches up with the person over time).

Foods are often a major source of ongoing inflammation (roughly 80% of the immune system is located in the gut). When foods that trigger inflammation are removed, many inflammatory symptoms improve (or resolve completely). Since inflammation can be triggered by virtually any food, I use a blood test to hone in on what each person's immune responses are to various foods/chemicals and I create a customized anti-inflammatory eating (and lifestyle) plan with that information.

Here are a few studies linking IBS to inflammation (there are several more out there):

Tight junctions and IBS--the link between epithelial permeability, low-grade inflammation, and symptom generation? - http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/24548256

Chemotactic chemokines are important in the pathogenesis of irritable bowel syndrome - http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/24667736

Proinflammatory and anti-inflammatory cytokine profile in pediatric patients with irritable bowel syndrome - http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/25697785

Cytokine imbalance in irritable bowel syndrome: a systematic review and meta-analysis - http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/24796536

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ibs-m, ibs-a, help, treatments

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here