Bulk forming laxatives? - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Bulk forming laxatives?

constipation ibs c laxatives

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Simone86

Simone86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 19 June 2015 - 06:37 PM

Advertisement

I have IBS-c and have been 'managing' this to various degrees by following a (mostly) low FODMAP diet and with laxatives (senna - the stimulant type). My Dr prescribed senna to me and told me it was 'safe' as long as I keep the dose low and try and take them sparingly.

Over the past couple of months, however, I have been noticing that the usual dose I take has not been working *as well* as it usually does, and that I need to take more and more laxatives in order to be able to 'clear' the backlog that builds up (sorry if this is TMI!). Anyway I've done a bit of internet research and I am worried that my body is starting to get used to these (stimulant) laxatives, and I really want to come off them if I can. Not only are they not working as effectively anymore, but I am finding that when after I take them I get quite dehydrated, I retain water and I'm starting to bloat a lot. I really want to stop using these altogether.

I've tried using both osmotic laxative and stool softeners in the past and neither are effective at all. The only 'safe' alternative that I have not tried is the bulk forming laxative (psyllium husk, I think?). That is primarily because my Dr said they're not very effective and often leave people feeling more bloated and gassy. 

I was wondering if anyone has had any success or otherwise with these bulk forming laxatives? Would you recommend them for someone who is trying to withdraw from stimulant laxatives? Or for someone with IBS-c? 

Your advice and/or experiences are much appreciated!

#2 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2145 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 02:04 AM

I've been using this (see link) for the past several months and it's worked pretty darn good.

http://www.ibsgroup....-can-recommend/

P.S. Also I eat about a dozen prunes a day. Helps keep things movin' inside.

#3 dboy

dboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 11:21 AM

As am recovering from the new episode of constipation, surprisingly ripe BANANA a day with phillips colon health probiotic does the trick for me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: constipation, ibs c, laxatives

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here