My appendix was stuck to my colon - Abdominal Pain - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

My appendix was stuck to my colon

adhesion appendix appendectomy colon

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 twonK

twonK

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 08 July 2015 - 11:48 AM

Advertisement

Hi all,

I had an appendectomy (they whipped my appendix out) yesterday and the surgeon afterwards said that my appendix was stuck to my colon.  Has anyone heard of this before or what the medical name for it is?  I can't find anything about it on the net.

I'm hoping that it might explain some of the pain I've been experiencing e.g. http://www.ibsgroup....wn-anyone-else/

Note that an X-ray, CT scan and colonoscopy all failed to pick this up.  I knew something other than ibs was going on and I was right dammit!

Good luck all,
Pete 

• Tami Romeo likes this

Meds: Provigil, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, others

Current: IBS-C, OCD, Refractory Depression for 20+ years

Fixed: Hydronephrosis, Bilateral compartment syndrome

#2 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9510 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 01:46 PM

oh so sorry to hear this!  i do hope you are not in too much pain from the surgery and that you have a quick and complete recovery.

no, i've never heard of this particular situation--specifically involving the appendix and the colon-- and do not know what the medical term for it is. did you ask your surgeon that question? i would think that if there is a name for it, etc , he would know.

the only thing i can think of is--was it adhesions that were making your appendix stick to your colon?  adhesions can be caused by a previous surgery or injury to the area (straining while lifting etc) or sometimes they just happen.

and yes, hopefully having had this surgery will relieve most if not all of pain.

please do take good care of yourself.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#3 twonK

twonK

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 08 July 2015 - 02:47 PM

thanks Annie, I sent him an email and he's yet to respond.  I have a follow-up next week so will def find out then.

Am a bit slow (read: injured-geriatric speed) but otherwise a-ok.

#4 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9510 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 02:59 PM

oh I hear you on the "slow"

surgery really does take a lot out of a person especially if it's open abdominal.  laparoscopic surgery takes a lot out of you, too.  I've had both. the open abdominal really knocked me for a loop for a couple months.  I had robotic laparoscopic surgery three weeks ago and am  just now starting to get all my energy back. it takes a while.

take good care of yourself--rest up!!!!!!! 

• twonK likes this

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#5 Tami Romeo

Tami Romeo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 08 July 2015 - 09:21 PM

What happened for the doctors to perform the surgery if it didn't show up on CT scan and other test

#6 twonK

twonK

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 08 July 2015 - 09:40 PM

What happened for the doctors to perform the surgery if it didn't show up on CT scan and other test

they saw that the tip of the appendix was enlarged which very rarely can indicate cancer.  It wasn't appendicitis apparently because there must be fat stranding and other indicators.  The colonoscopy didn't pick it up because they can only see the entrance of the appendix from inside the colon. 

#7 Tami Romeo

Tami Romeo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 08 July 2015 - 09:51 PM

Sorry for asking so many question what test did they see that your appendix was enlarged

#8 twonK

twonK

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 08 July 2015 - 09:53 PM

no worries.  The abdominal CT scan.  Apparently it was debated as to whether it was a problematic size or not i.e. it was down to individual interpretation.  An exact science this is not...

#9 Tami Romeo

Tami Romeo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 08 July 2015 - 09:57 PM

I'm glad they decided to go in and take it out. Were you having IBS issues before they found this, and how are you feeling now.

#10 twonK

twonK

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 08 July 2015 - 10:13 PM

I'm glad they decided to go in and take it out. Were you having IBS issues before they found this, and how are you feeling now.

amen to that.  Well I don't know how long I've had this but I strongly suspect I have IBS as well as this.

Other than soreness from the op my IBS pain is much improved so far.  Still C though.

#11 Tami Romeo

Tami Romeo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 08 July 2015 - 10:26 PM

Good luck to you. I will keep my fingers crossed that the surgery will help with your IBS.

#12 twonK

twonK

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 08 July 2015 - 10:47 PM

Good luck to you. I will keep my fingers crossed that the surgery will help with your IBS.

thank you and good luck to you too Tami.

#13 twonK

twonK

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 16 July 2015 - 11:12 AM

Just an update for the curious:  on Friday (3 days after op) I finally had a BM and since that I've been back in the usual pain/C.  To say I was upset is an understatement.  Life goes on etc.

#14 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9510 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 01:24 PM

oh no--so sorry. i was hoping your surgery would have helped give you some relief from your pain..

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: adhesion, appendix, appendectomy, colon

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here