Dreading my flight home! - Traveling with a Health Condition - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Dreading my flight home!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JonnyR95

JonnyR95

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 09 July 2015 - 08:15 PM

Advertisement

Hello everyone,

I've just joined today in hope of finding a bit of advise for my plane journey home on Wednesday. Here's the story.

I'm 19 years of age and was diagnosed with IBS on my 17th birthday. From then on, leaving the house and normal activities for people my age have been very hard and at most points just impossible for me to do.

However, after much debate between myself and my head, I decided to follow my grandparents back to their home in Portugal for a 3 week holiday. Since the moment this holiday was booked, just thinking about the prospect of travelling here would start the stomach cramps which lead to the urgent need to use the toilet etc. An early flight was booked to come out to Portugal and I was dreading every aspect of it beyond belief,  I barely slept the night before and woke up feeling sick thinking I couldn't go through with it. After much deliberation I decided that I would go ahead with the drive to the airport and if I felt too bad when I arrived, I would be able to come straight home. The nerves and pure anxiety of just travelling to the airport forced me to tears in the car, not wanting to let anyone down also making the situation a lot worse. When we arrived at the airport, surprisingly I pulled myself together and had no problems at all with my stomach going through security. Whilst in the airport, the cramps were on and off so I left my grandparents whilst I went for a walk to try and calm down (and scout for the toilets.) Just before we were called to the gate, dosed up on Immodium I thought I had best check if I needed to go before boarding. So I went to the toilet, and boy did I go! After opening the flood gates if you like, I had that feeling of just not finishing right before boarding. This lasted up until we were seated in the plane, and there was a slight delay for all the passengers to board. Then it got worse...the pain in my bowels was just too much to bear and as much as i hate using any public toilets, never mind plane toilets, I had to ask the flight attendant whether I could use them before take off. After being told i couldn't, this was it made even worse and I just had to go. I got up and asked the other flight attendant who said I'd have to be quick but opened the door and I went. Of course this didn't stop the pain, the whole flight was riddled with this pain in my lower stomach and bowels that couldn't even be relieved by going to the toilet. Eventually I fell asleep and when I woke we were almost landing.

This sounds like a bad dream coming to an end but the real reason I'm posting is because I'm only a few days away from the dreaded flight back home. There's an hours drive to the airport, being taken by our neighbour, at 5:00am! I'm not sure I could think of a worse situation and I know my bowels will agree with me come Wednesday. It's upsetting to think that I used to fly regularly as a child with no issues whatsoever, now after experiencing the worst day of my life travelling out here, I'm dreading the flight back with every ounce of my being.

Any help or advice to deal with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

#2 sportyk123

sportyk123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 01:10 AM

even if your not thinking about it your ibs still flares up, same with me i think about travelling to work even slightly my ibs flares up.

try keep hydrated sips of water, maybe listen to music.

what i do now is if i need to go i just go, just treat it as a normal toilet run. whether your at the airport or on plane just go let them know your situation if they have any heart they will understand.

#3 JonnyR95

JonnyR95

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:52 AM

even if your not thinking about it your ibs still flares up, same with me i think about travelling to work even slightly my ibs flares up.

try keep hydrated sips of water, maybe listen to music.

what i do now is if i need to go i just go, just treat it as a normal toilet run. whether your at the airport or on plane just go let them know your situation if they have any heart they will understand.

Thank you for your response.

Yes it definitely does flare up subconsciously I think, I'm not currently on any medication or haven't sought any further help for it. I think this will be needed once I'm home. I will definitely try to keep hydrated and I'll take headphones for my music this time round.

As for the toilet runs, I agree I think I need to see it just as normal toilet runs rather than feeling like an idiot having to keep going back and forth to the loo.

This has helped, thank you. 

Does anyone know of any audio files that are used to calm down people with the likes of anxiety and IBS? I think having something like this handy at the worst times would ease my mind, also knowing that I'm not the only one that has to deal with things like this.

Thanks again

#4 sportyk123

sportyk123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:42 AM

i listen to any slow music it seems to relax me alot rather than the metal music i listen to when im out running

#5 JonnyR95

JonnyR95

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 10 July 2015 - 04:47 PM

i listen to any slow music it seems to relax me alot rather than the metal music i listen to when im out running

Will definitely try it, thanks!

#6 RumblyGuts

RumblyGuts

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:24 AM

It's really strange to come here and read pretty much what is happening to me happening to someone else.  I always feel like a total nutcase for having to think about travelling etc in so much depth.  I've just posted my first thread before reading this but have had the airport nightmare aswell so totally understand how you feel.  I take so much imodium before travelling aswell just trying to avoiid the urgency but it didn't work one time at the airport and that set me back.  Now when I travel and am stocked up on imodium I also carry a bottle of water to sip from and a pack of peppermint gum/sweets and this seems to help the nerves.  Also keeping distracted helps diffuse the nerves so my partner talks to me as much as possible in an attempt to keep my mind away from the toilet.

It's such an awful experience when you know you have to be away from your comfort zone, I hope you find some way of settling yourself before your trip.

#7 vanessa6801

vanessa6801

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 03:25 AM

Hey, im 19 too and i have the same problem with flying, it has to do with the change in pressure on a flight:  http://www.ibsgroup....r-ibsers/page-3

I hope your flight went well.... I have an overseas trip coming up too--- a 9hr flight. I'm considering using a product like simethicone so that i can eliminate as much gas as possible beforehand. Not sure how effective it would be though. 

#8 myhappytummyblog

myhappytummyblog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 06:31 PM

I know exactly what you are going through. When I travel, I don't eat beforehand and I always have Imodium handy. The anxiety that comes with traveling is awful. Whenever I am experiencing extreme anxiety, I try and put things into perspective. I have never actually pooped my pants, luckily it has never come to it. If you think about it though, there are worse things in life than pooping your pants, such as having an incurable terminal disease or losing a limb. It is always easier said than done, when it comes to calming the anxiety. You are not alone, I deal with this all the time. Hope your flight went well!

My journey managing IBS/lactose intolerance with plant based recipes and sustainable healthy living. This blog also contains musings about various health and nutrition topics. 

www.myhappytummyblog.com 

Instagram: happytummyblog

#9 jd001

jd001

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 03:13 AM

I am in the exact same position. I am getting married soon and want to take my wife to be on a honeymoon she deserves but just thinking about getting on a plane makes me run to the nearest loo.

I have been taking Codeine Phosphate and Sertraline daily now for 4+ years and this has definitely helped although i still worry about getting caught short in a public place.

Any advice on overcoming the feeling of anxiety and urgency would be appreciated. 

#10 HeavenlyJess

HeavenlyJess

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 12:05 PM

I always have to take a day before flying and just chill out, sauna, massage, meditate, exercise, etc.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here