what works, what doesn't, what to do - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

what works, what doesn't, what to do

medications supplements diet

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 as38dm2

as38dm2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 05:29 PM

Advertisement

hello all,

i have looked a bit through the posts here and see that everyone finds that a different thing works for them. can people just reply to this post with the things they have found that work? it would help me a lot and maybe someone in the future. i propose the format:

Symptoms: list your symptoms and number of years

Diet: eat: a, b, c. - don't eat: x, y, z

Supplements: take: d,e,f. - don't take: u, v, w

Medications: helpful: g, h, i. - not helpful: r, s, t

#2 Pinskers

Pinskers

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 17 July 2015 - 07:33 PM

Symptoms: Gastroparesis (once, and the worst experience possible), colitis (also only once), constipation, spasms, gas, bloating

Diet: nothing in particular in what I do eat but I don't eat raw vegetables except lettuce and onions, mango, apple, gluten, milk (except hard cheeses), dried fruits, brown rice

Supplements: multivitamin, occasionally a probiotic

Medications: Dulcolax (10mg), hyoscyamine (0.5mg), Phenergan (12.5–25mg), Xanax (0.25mg as needed)

Everyone is different though!

• as38dm2 likes this

#3 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11905 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 05:42 AM

oh yes--i definitely second what Pinksters said.  we're all different in how we react to meds, supplements and diets.  the only way to know if something will work for you is to try it for yourself..

i have pelvic floor dysfunction, megarectum and rectal hyposensitivity... chronic constipation problems for about 50 years.

diet--low fiber, lot of water.  i also have SIBO so fairly low carb and no sugar.

meds that worked best for me: dulcolax-- 10 -15 mg. plus--stool softener like colace  or osmotic laxative like miralax or milk of magnesia (if you take milk of mag and dulcolax, take them an hour apart. otherwise this combo can cause cramping) .  

exercise--walking daily--helps too.

biofeedback helped somewhat with the pfd.

have you seen this thread--"the great list of remedies"

http://www.ibsgroup....st-of-remedies/

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: medications, supplements, diet

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here