sibo test - GI-related Diagnostic Tests - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

sibo test

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 marleyma

marleyma

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 20 July 2015 - 06:52 AM

Advertisement
What did you eat day before? I'm at a loss and already dead at 8am !

#2 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9943 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:01 AM

didn't they give you a list of allowed foods and when you can eat them --ie day before etc.  if they didn't, give them a call and ask.  from what i've seen online, these requirements seem to vary a bit, depending on where the test is given.  you want to make sure you're doing it the way they want you to. 

when i had my SIBO test, i was given a list of what i could eat and when etc.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#3 marleyma

marleyma

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:12 AM

Basically whitw rice or white potato. Didn't know if there was any good way to eat that ha.

#4 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9943 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:25 AM

oh yeah--i know.  

and i won't eat rice because it really backs me up. no rice for me ever.

they told me to limit potatoes, pasta, breads, grains, cereal,  milk products and of course anything with sugar. and focus on proteins--meat, poultry, eggs and fish.

and oh yes, it's a big pain, isn't it.  i have mitochondrial disease so going no carb like that (and fasting) is really hard for me. i need carbs for energy. 

i just kept telling myself to hang in there,  that it was only for a day. and at least it wasn't  as bad as the clear-liquids-only pre colonoscopy diet. i had to do that for two days--the two day prep..  wretched.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#5 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9943 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:30 AM

oh--and the absolute worst thing for me about the HBT was the "no coffee" rule the morning of the test.  i had a massive caffeine withdrawal headache that day lol... gotta have my coffee sad.png

#6 marleyma

marleyma

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 20 July 2015 - 05:44 PM

Oh gosh I know. Carbs are my best friend usually in order to keep my nausea at bay. It has been a BIG headache today but thankfully my stomach hasn't too bad. No energy/food at work was no fun ha but now I'm home and just hoping for tomorrow to go ok.. and hopefully some sort of results that will lead me to feeling better!

#7 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9943 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 05:55 PM

yes, hope things go ok for you tomorrow.  are you also having the anal manometry test tomorrow as well?  good luck with everything and yes, hopefully  these tests will help your doc figure things out so you'll feel better.

keep us posted if you get the chance.  take care.

#8 tummyrumbles

tummyrumbles

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:10 PM

My best anti IBS foods are meat, fish and well cooked, low FODMAP veges. Low flatulogenic foods. Keep starches to a minimum because these are the foods bacteria seems to favour (no breads, biscuits, rice, all grains, fried potato). The problem with the SIBO test is that if you're constipated this can result in a false positive. Who here isn't constipated? Starches cause constipation for me, because of the excess bacterial action. Reduce the bacterial action and try to aim for complete evacuation the morning before you do the test. The outcome might be disappointing. Many people here have SIBO tests but find whatever the result they still have the same symptoms. The trick is that the diet that provides the most accurate result is probably the same diet that you need to eat day by day, which is hard.

My Wordpress blog: http://ibsnaturalcure.wordpress.com

#9 marleyma

marleyma

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 22 July 2015 - 04:58 AM

Hi guys. What a long day that was. Sibo test was fine. The tech told me as soon as i started my numbers were very high.. meaning nost likely positive. The Enemas for anal manometry surprisingly went fine! I did it leaning over a chair compared to my usual laying on the floor position and got much better results. I was terrified I was going to poop all over the table though. It really was an uncomfortable test. I must of said "I'm scared" 10 times during! I have no idea what the results will be!

#10 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9943 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:27 AM

thanks, Marleyma, for the update.

you sure had a busy day, with both tests going on.  so glad to hear the enemas went fine--that's a relief.  good idea to do it leaning over a chair.

sorry the anal manometry was so uncomfortable, though.  but it is a good diagnostic test to have--it measures a number of things.

so now, with these test results, your doctor will have lots of information about what's going on with you and hopefully will be able to come up with a treatment plan that will bring you some much-needed relief.

take care...

#11 marleyma

marleyma

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 22 July 2015 - 06:50 AM

Thanks annie! I hope so :-)

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here