The Things I Do for IBS FMT Journal - Page 3 - Fecal Microbiota Transplantation (FMT) - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

The Things I Do for IBS FMT Journal

IBS Cure FMT Fecal Matter Transplant Journal Story Diarrhea Constipation

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 jaumeb

jaumeb

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1607 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 02:51 PM

Acure, look into the Weston Price Foundation and what they say about canola oil.

#42 acureisoutthere

acureisoutthere

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 08:24 PM

Thank you Jaumeb, I'll look into it.

smile.png

#43 acureisoutthere

acureisoutthere

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 09:10 PM

Acure, look into the Weston Price Foundation and what they say about canola oil.

I found this on the NCBI website which I feel is a pretty trusted source of reporting on medical studies. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC3746113/

smile.png

#44 jaumeb

jaumeb

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1607 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 05:02 AM

This is the Weston Price article I was talking about:
http://www.westonapr...-great-con-ola/

#45 acureisoutthere

acureisoutthere

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 09:32 AM

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.  It's a nice article, and brings up many good points.

The Mayo Clinic website says Canola Oil is safe, and University of California - Berkeley  claims it is safe.  The FDA says it is safe.

But, it appears there is quite a bit of controversy about this product.

What struck me the most was the fact that 90 some percent of the rapeseed used for making canola oil is GMO, and that Roundup is used in growing it.  Roundup is being even being used as a desiccant to make harvest easier for some crops.  Thus an increased likelihood of more Roundup being on the seed kernel.  So, given the study that found that Roundup, with it's surfactants, is killing our good bacteria, and not harming our bad bacteria, and being connected with gluten intolerance, it's time to look for a different butter/oil.

I'm curious, which product do you use ?

smile.png

#46 jaumeb

jaumeb

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1607 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 09:55 AM

I use mostly organic extra virgin olive oil, which is the traditional oil where I live. Also some organic extra virgin coconut oil. Those are the two I currently use. I use them raw.

There are also other good alternatives such as avocado oil. Good quality butter and lard are also an option.

The idea is the diet of traditional cultures evolved over the centuries to achieve optimal nutrition. Then, with industrialization and agribusiness profit became a priority. Aggressive marketing is used to convince us to consume processed foods that are toxic. Unsurprisingly, we get sick.

#47 IBS_guy_33

IBS_guy_33

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:27 PM

Just wanted to say to Shane M and acureisoutthere, really appreciate the information you've both provided. 

#48 Anaerobic FMT

Anaerobic FMT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 05:13 PM

The FMT's worked after you heated the solution in a microwave.  I hope someone researches this more thoroughly, but I have a hunch that you got the dissolved oxygen out of the water and let the anaerobic bacteria survive the process and get to your colon.

We just got FMTs  working for us and we didn't follow any of the extensive advice mentioned in these postings, except performing multiple FMTs.  The main overlap between your successful procedure and our successful procedure was that we both heated the water.  The key, and I don't know why everyone is missing this  ( https://www.ncbi.nlm...PMC4030581/#B14) is to boil the distilled water to remove the dissolved oxygen before using it to prepare the FMT.  The best bacteria dies when exposed to oxygen and water contains lots of dissolved oxygen (ask the fish) which leaves when the water is brought to boiling (ask a fish why it dies in warm water and loves Alaska).  After boiling the water we let it cool in sealed gallon jugs with CO2 blown into the air space.

We took the extra step of buying a CO2 cylinder and regulator (about $170) to fill the top of our mason jar with CO2 before blending the feces and water so that oxygen from the ambient air didn't enter the water while we were mixing the solution and kill the anaerobic bacteria.  CO2 is more dense than air so it displaces the air on the top of the jar and the gallon jugs.  We put a lid on the mason jar containing the feces and de-oxygenated distilled water with the CO2 filling the rest of the jar.

Oh, and use at least 500 ml of FMT solution; that is what the research says.  Along with the stool being as fresh as it can be and from as close a relative or person living in your environment who is healthy as you can.  The studies all seem to test one variable or another.  The testimonies get some variables right but miss others.  Why not get them all right and give yourself the best chance of healing - not just remission, but healing - that you can?

Medicine says the trouble is the immune system - take drugs to interfere with the immune system and maybe reduce inflamation.  You've lived with that approach and don't like it any more than we have for the past few years. 

Fecal microbiota transplant says the trouble is your immune system - your immune system hinges on strong bacterial balance in your gut so re-seed the bacteria so you can establish a good community like the people who are fortunate enough not to have bowel disease.

I'm not a terrific writer and I hope other people can run with this and spread the idea.

#49 acureisoutthere

acureisoutthere

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:04 PM

Anaerobic FMT,

I'm impressed !  That's a great observation and I sure missed it.  Anything we can do to lessen exposure to air, the better.  You're right warm/hot water has less dissolved oxygen in it.

This is what is great about this forum.  No one can see everything and sharing observations can help to push the science forward, so to speak.

I'm sure glad to hear of your success !   I'll be writing some letters in the hopes of furthering the understanding of what works and what doesn't. 

Something that doesn't quite make sense ;   in the NCBI article you linked, they use a blender to homogenize the sample, and yet state that the recipient microbiome  matches closely to the microbiome of the donor, after the FMT.  This seems to conflict with the science that 90% of these bacteria are anaerobic. Using a blender would incorporate air throughout the sample and then kill many of the bacteria.   I think I'll keep trusting the science that 90% of these bacteria are anaerobic and disagree with using a blender to homogenize the sample. 

Also, I remember reading somewhere else that UBiome does not try to avoid contact with air.  They just process the sample and freeze it.   I find this a little suspect, for the same reason.    Perhaps it's not so important to avoid contact with air, in order to reverse C. Diff.  ? C. Diff. seems relatively easy to reverse, and thus they find they can get good results most of the time, without having to avoid exposure to air ?

It would be quite logical for the medical community to try to discourage home or DIY FMTs.  For one, there is the profit motive, and for two, there is a realistic expectation that the DIYer may not test their donor.  I'm pretty confident that the entire medical community deems this as important, and all donors should be tested properly.

There are from 25 to 45 million Americans with IBS.  I believe the best way forward is to help or encourage the professionals to perfect this science, perform clinical trials and gain FDA approval, so the vast majority of people that suffer from IBS can be helped.  

I believe that every step possible should be taken to prevent damage to the bacteria.  This means avoiding processed foods with their emulsifiers, and GMO foods with their glyphosate residues.  We really need to get glyphosate banned, the sooner the better.

I was just reading an interesting article on the microbiome the other day.  They are now finding out that there are more bacteria in blood, than was previously thought.  If you go back far enough, they used to think that blood didn't have any bacteria at all.  So, it makes me wonder if this will one day have medical applications near what an FMT does.  Will we one day do blood transfusions in order to change the blood microbiome ?  I doubt if this is on anyone's radar yet though. 

Kudos Anaerobic FMT, great observation !  I realize that the dissolved oxygen content in water is small, but it's still an exposure to oxygen, and your process is a step in the right direction.

• Anaerobic FMT likes this

smile.png

#50 Anaerobic FMT

Anaerobic FMT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:43 AM

Thanks for the reply and the encouragement!  Our son has been seeing formed stools, without prednisone, for the first time in 4 years.  I don't know all of the procedures the NCBI article researchers used for blending or even how they cataloged the microbiome.  The field is so new, there are a lot of variables and I'm not super-confident that the researchers always take the best paths to gaining knowledge. 

I think the dissolved oxygen might be even more significant than the atmospheric oxygen.  The bacteria are exposed to the oxygen that is present at the boundaries of their cell membranes.  If the bacteria are surrounded by a solution, they are protected from the air in the room or in the space in the jar, unless the air in the jar is whirled in and aerates the solution the way waste water treatment plants aerate.  I would like to know how quickly the transport happens into the bacteria from the dissolved oxygen and how toxic the oxygen is to the most important bacteria.  Please let me know if you find anything.

For now, I am mainly relying on the anecdotal evidence that the FMTs didn't have a great effect until we worked to take the oxygen out of the water. 

You have me wondering about the blood bacteria too now!

#51 acureisoutthere

acureisoutthere

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:47 AM

That is truly great to hear that your son is doing better !  Awesome ! 

Be sure to change his diet to a diet that has a large variety of fresh fruits, fresh vegetables,and indigestible carbohydrates ( a helping of beans, everyday), and some good probiotic foods, like home made sauerkraut, or kimchi, or Kefir.  These all help.  The diet must be better after FMT, or else there may be a chance for relapse.  If we keep eating the wrong foods after the FMT, then we are encouraging the wrong bacteria to predominate in the digestive tract.  We don't want that.  Keep your good bacteria fed, and happy.  It's all about those good, commensal bacteria freind.  Someday, they are going to be doing FMTs for a variety of conditions.  Or at least they are going to manipulate the microbiome in some way or another, and improve patient symptoms, and/or reverse disease completely.  Give it a decade, and maybe everyone out there will have heard of this.  It's coming.

US researchers are working, right now, to determine the best approach to do an FMT.  In fact, the AGA is holding a symposium or something like that, in 2018 to discuss the best ways to perform an FMT.  They are working on it, trying to perfect it, and get better success rates.  That's a big plus for everyone that suffers from IBS.

Anaerobic FMT, would you consider contacting Dr. Colleen Kelly (gastroenterologist) with your observation ?  She is leading an effort to figure out what works and what doesn't with FMTs.

smile.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: IBS, Cure, FMT, Fecal Matter Transplant, Journal, Story, Diarrhea, Constipation

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here