Pretty bad constipation has returned - please help! - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Pretty bad constipation has returned - please help!

constipation ibs ibs c laxatives australia

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Simone86

Simone86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 29 July 2015 - 01:54 AM

Advertisement

My constipation issues started a couple of years ago when, for some odd reason, I suddenly couldn't *go* to the toilet at all. Up until this point I had been fairly regular, albeit with the odd bout of constipation here or there. When I got totally bunged up, I wasn't able to *go* to the toilet for 6 whole days and ended up in hospital where they gave me stimulant laxatives and sent me on my way. After fiddling with my diet somewhat, and using the occasional stimulant laxative, these constipation issues became manageable.

Just over two weeks ago I moved from New Zealand to Australia to fulfill a PhD scholarship. I don't know anyone in the city to where I have moved to, and the transition has been relatively stressful. I also had to end a (short term) relationship with a guy who I really liked, and that was a very difficult decision to make.

Anyway now that I'm here in Australia I have found that my constipation issues, which started about two years ago, have returned - although I guess not as severely. I am able to *go* most days with varying degrees of success, but I've noticed that my constipation is getting increasingly worse and I feel terrible. I have managed to get my diet and exercise regime [walking and yoga] pretty much back to where it was before I moved over here but this has not helped with my constipation. It's gotten to the point where I'm using stimulant laxatives (senna) every other day just to get some relief from the pain and discomfort, although obviously this is not ideal.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what I can do or use to help relieve this awful issue? I'm new to Australia and so I don't know many of the products on the market that help with constipation - so could really do with some suggestions. I'm keen to get off the stimulant laxatives because I know they can cause dependence, and I've been taking them regularly for 2 weeks now. I'm getting a bit desperate and it's making an already difficult transition so much worse.

Please help!

#2 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12262 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:42 AM

Hi Simone

so sorry your constipation has gotten so much worse.  do you think all the added stress of your move has contributed to that? often extra stress will make us tense and that makes it hard to relax on the toilet and have a good bowel movement.

a lot of us have found that elevating the feet on a footstool or shoe box or squatty potty helps with having a BM. elevating the feet straightens out the anorectal angle and allows a more complete evacuation. also, don't strain from the rectum when you try to go--relax, breathe deeply and push from the belly, not the rectum.

some people find taking magnesium supplements helps relieve constipation.  the amount and which type of mag supplement varies from individual to individual. you have to experiment to see what works for you. there are many different kinds: magnesium citrate, magnesium oxide, magnesium glycinate, chelated magnesium,  liquid magnesium citrate (the supplement--not the stuff in the bottles you buy at the drug store) etc. a lot of people like powdered magnesium supplements  like natural calm- you mix in water and drink it .   Magnesium relaxes the muscles in the intestines which helps to establish a smoother rhythm and magnesium also helps soften the stool by attracting water to the colon which helps to make stools easier to pass. we've got a ton of magnesium threads on here if you'd like more information.

you could try taking  miralax (movicol ). it's an osmotic laxative and is safe to use. play around with the dosage to see what works best for you.  usually a daily dose works best for people.

here's a helpful thread with a lot of tips for dealing with constipation. it includes a lot of natural remedies:

http://www.ibsgroup....st-of-remedies/

you also might want to find a good gastroenterologist to help you with your constipation issues. there are some prescriptions meds available for constipation--amitiza, linaclotide (linzess) and prucalopride (resolor)  

good luck. hope you feel better soon.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#3 Pinskers

Pinskers

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:18 AM

Annie beat me to it. :)

It's also important to note that all the dependent stimulant laxatives have been pulled off the market. I have been on Dulcolax for running three or four years now, and not once have any of my GI's told me to stop.  They're really not as unsafe as people say they are, except for a bit of colon discoloration, which comes from senna stains (dulcolax apparently doesn't cause that much discoloration, I've heard, probably because it works with a different compound).

• annie7 likes this

#4 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12262 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:58 AM

yes, Pinksters is right.  I remember when the unsafe stimulant laxatives were pulled from the market.  and yes, senna and other herbal laxatives like cascara sagrada contain anthraquinones which can discolor the colon, which is not considered harmful.  dulcolax contains bisacodyl which does not discolor the colon.

some of us do need stimulant laxatives in order to go. and that's ok.  both my gastro docs and my colorectal surgeons have told me to take whatever I need to go and that the stimulant laxativies now on the market are safe. it is much better to keep things moving than to become so constipated that one develops an impaction or worse yet, an obstruction, which is a medical emergency.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#5 persuasions

persuasions

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 06:26 AM

Instead of taking medicine, you could try doing an enema sometime. It can give relief in less than an hour... The immediate downside may be getting dehydrated and tired when it is done with tap water. Also, no doctor recommends it daily.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: constipation, ibs, ibs c, laxatives, australia

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here