Update from dr's appt - kind of scared; could use some kind words - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Update from dr's appt - kind of scared; could use some kind words

doctors appt enemas magnesium citrate linzess

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 SweetLilSadness

SweetLilSadness

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 12:58 PM

Advertisement

*Warning, graphic*

I just got back from seeing a doctor this morning - I gave her a very detailed list of the symptoms I've been experiencing since mid - June, and she told me that tonight, I should take another enema and some magnesium citrate. She said, "If you do this by 6 pm tonight; you should be cleared out by 6 pm tomorrow." She told me that this combination should give me what she called "explosive diarrhea" - which is, quite honestly, just fine with me. In fact, it's what I was used to, prior to the incomplete emptying and constipation. She also gave me some samples of Linzess - 145 mcg and 290 mcg. She also ordered some comprehensive blood tests - I should know the results of those by tomorrow morning.

I'm just kind of scared bcuz my dad wants us to use the saline enema tonight - the kind that comes in a bottle - since the glycerin one didn't really work. The small glycerin enema from the other night was just as bad as I thought it would be and it didn't clear me out all the way. There's so much in the saline enema, too - what if it doesn't all fit inside me? What if nothing happens at all?

Annie7, I know that you mentioned to me at one point that the saline enema "gets up higher" and does a better job, right?

I'm sorry, guys - I must sound like a big baby being scared of something like an enema. 

My mom, who's been really supportive of me thru all this and who I'm moving to live with this weekend, has kind of talked me thru this and told me that if this doesn't work, she's going to make an appt for me to see their GP this coming Monday, once I'm there.

Thanks, guys. smile.png

#2 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12225 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 01:47 PM

Hi

please try hard not to worry. it doesn't help--it just throws us into a state of panic-- and worry always make things seem so much worse than they are.

that's good your parents are helping you through this. hopefully you can tell them about all your worries. it sounds like they are being very supportive, which is so good!

you could also call your doc's office and talk over your fears with them.

in your other post, i said that the big bag enemas go higher up--because they have a greater volume of water than the bottle ones.   

you might want to re read what i said in the post about enemas and relaxing your rectum etc.  this might be helpful. but really--if you're too scared to do it, then please don't.  don't do anything you are afraid to do.

the magnesium citrate might well be all that you need to clean out so you might not even need the enema.   and like i said--please do not do anything that scares you.  

please try to relax, take deep breathes....  please try not to worry and please talk your worries  over with your parents...  take care...

• SweetLilSadness likes this

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#3 Nuffa

Nuffa

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:01 PM

You can do this.

#4 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2145 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:27 PM

If you don't like the Linzess, try this, I recommend it (click below link to read):

http://www.ibsgroup....-can-recommend/

P.S. 

Dr. Schultze should pay me for pimpin' his product out so much here!

#5 Nuffa

Nuffa

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:34 PM

I like your kind of humor so much flossy!schulze's is good stuff, no doubt about that.
  • flossy and SweetLilSadness like this

#6 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2145 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:54 PM

I like your kind of humor so much flossy!schulze's is good stuff, no doubt about that.

Thanks Miss Nuffa! It's better to try to laugh about it then cry.

#7 SweetLilSadness

SweetLilSadness

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:06 PM

Hello, friends - Nuffa, Annie7, and Flossy!  It's been a few hours since the "procedure" was done, and here's how it went:

*Warning, graphic*

I had the saline enema done - it was as bad as I thought it would be, but it's done! I got up on the toilet after about 5 or so minutes, and a bunch of stuff came right out! It even cleaned out all the areas where I felt the stool was obstructed - at least, that's how it felt to me. I hurt so much, though, that I felt my body go numb and heavy, and my ears started ringing really loud...that happens to me whenever I'm in severe pain. After about 5-10 minutes, the numbness and faintness started to go away, and I choked down the mag citrate and some water. Since then, I've felt like I'm getting emptied out pretty well (still pretty sore tho), and I'm camped out on a sofa near a bathroom. I'm also drinking plenty of water, too, so, you don't have to worry bout that. smile.png

Will the Linzess have this effect too? Just wondering.

Anyway, just wanted to give you guys an update! Thanks so much for your replies and encouraging words! <3

#8 kc99

kc99

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:50 PM

Re: the linzess question, this is one of the lengthy discussions on this forum regarding different experiences:

http://www.ibsgroup....linzess-review/

People have highly variable experiences.  I do doubt that it would ever be as potent as mag citrate.  It's not really intended to be such a full hardcore clean-out as that, and it works through a different mechanism, somewhat.

#9 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12225 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 05:33 AM

that's good you got cleaned out and are staying hydrated.  what a relief a good clean out is! smile.png

yes, like kc said, linzess works differently than mag citrate or an enema and is not as strong. so it won't affect you like the enema and mag citrate did. we have lots of linzess threads here on the board.

you probably want to start with the 145 mcg dose first, just to see how it goes.

one thing about linzess--it works on the same receptors that food does.  when you first take it, take it as prescribed--a half hour before breakfast.  if it gives you too much diarrhea when taken this way, try taking it an hour before eating.  or even longer. some people take it before bedtime (a couple hours after eating) and then, when they wake up, they have a BM.

in general with linzess, the sooner you take it before eating, the more (if any) diarrhea you'll get.  not everyone gets D with it--as kc said, peoples' experiences with it are variable.  many people have good success with it.  we are all different as to how medications affect us. because of this,  I always keep a positive and open mind about trying new medications and I don't let other peoples' experiences with it affect my thinking.

good luck with everything.  smile.png

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: doctors appt, enemas, magnesium citrate, linzess

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here