Am I constipated? Please help! - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Am I constipated? Please help!

constipation IBS-C help teen woman

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 athenawub

athenawub

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 08:12 AM

Advertisement

Hi guys, just made an account on here and I'm so happy that so many people are helping each other out and going through the same problems as I am!!

So I haven't had a solid bowel movement since 5 or 6 days ago. after 3 days I decided to take a laxative and all that came out was a whole bunch of diarrhoea! is this normal? does this mean i have cleared out my colon? after that i took an enema but only a whole bunch of gas and diarrhoea came out, i took another one the next day and i held it for a full 8 minutes but only the enema came out. my mother said this means that my colon is already cleared out.

I have not experienced much bloating or any abdominal pain or anything like that and I am trying to eat fiber rich foods. I just want to know what i should do im very scared i havent had a solid bowel movement in a while...

thanks for helping!

#2 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13064 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 09:00 AM

HI 

your mother is right--sounds like you've cleaned out your colon.

if your problems with constipation continue, it's a good idea to make an appointment to see a good gastroenterologist. he/she can work with you on this and can figure out a treatment plan to bring you some relief.  also--if it turns out that you need them , there are medications available to help with chronic constipation

you might want to take some time here and look around on the board. there is a lot of good advice for dealing with chronic constipation here.

one thing you could do to start--you might want to take a look at your diet and tweak it a bit.  there's a lot of good diet advice for constipation sufferers here on the board. if, because of dieting,    adding fiber can be helpful if one's constipation problems are caused by a lack of fiber--go slowly with adding it since going too fast can make you gassy. for many of us with very chronic constipation problems, fiber is not our friend and too much can definitely back us up all the more. so it takes some experimenting--we're all different.

some people find taking magnesium supplements helps.  again-the amount and which type of mag supplement varies from individual to individual. you have to experiment to see what works for you. there are many different kinds: magnesium citrate, magnesium oxide, magnesium glycinate, chelated magnesium,  liquid magnesium citrate (the supplement--not the stuff in the bottles you buy at the drug store) etc. a lot of people like powdered magnesium supplements  like natural calm- you mix in water and drink it .   Magnesium relaxes the muscles in the intestines which helps to establish a smoother rhythm and magnesium also helps soften the stool by attracting water to the colon which helps to make stools easier to pass. we've got a ton of magnesium threads on here too.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: constipation, IBS-C, help, teen, woman

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here