IBS and Weight Lifting - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

IBS and Weight Lifting

exercise weightlifting IBS-D creatine dairy

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 itsaprocess

itsaprocess

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 11:24 PM

Advertisement

Hi all,

I have some questions about IBS and putting on weight. I'm in college and I was hoping to put on as much muscle as possible this summer before going back to school. I had moderate success while hitting the gym between 4 and 6 times a week. My weight seems to have plateaued after I put on 6 lbs this summer. It's definitely because I have trouble eating enough calories with my IBS. To continue putting on weight I would have to consume around 2600-2800 calories per day. I was wondering if anyone had tips on how to achieve this with IBS.

I can't overeat or my IBS-D will act up immediately. 

I am dairy free, so I can't take in whey or casein protein powder. Anyone have any success with other kinds of protein powders?

I am thinking about starting creatine. I've heard a lot of mixed things about creatine + IBS. I guess ultimately it will depend how my body personally reacts, but feel free to share if anyone has tips or experiences.

Thanks

#2 Leo41

Leo41

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 17 August 2015 - 01:36 PM

Man, that is gonna be hard if you are hard gainer. I have no issue with dairy, and supplement with Whey protein. Only thing I could think would be snack every hr on chicken or fish. How do you do with eggs?

For me.. for some reason hamburgers don't bother me... if you could handle some red meat.. nothing puts on muscle like that. 

Most other proteins have poor bioavailability. Creatine.. not sure how that would go, retains a lot of water in the cells, and always gave me a painful pump, which actually limited what I could do. That was long before IBS...

#3 itsaprocess

itsaprocess

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 02:28 PM

Yeah having to stop my protein shakes really was annoying. I'm good with eggs, i just try to not them every day because of the fat.

I guess trying to eat every hour is the issue though. Once my stomach is full it'll stay that way for at least a few hours and if I try to eat more I'll get overstuffed and have to hit the bathroom shortly thereafter...

I'll try doing more red meats, they seem to sit pretty well with my stomach. 

Finding a non-dairy protein shake that's actually effective would help a lot

#4 Leo41

Leo41

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:48 PM

I mean I guess something would be better than nothing... Soy.. but just not as usuable by far as meat, egg, or whey. Honestly... in a bulking phase I would not worry about the added fat (unless it triggers IBS issues, cramps). You know.. with this.. losing is easy, gaining will be hard. 

I am in a very different spot I think. I used to bodybuild for years and years before this started. Now I am losing fat and lifting again, but at 45 yrs old, I don't know that I will too worried with gains. Though muscle memory is true, and a real blessing.. I am actually putting on muscle with a submaint. calorie diet, though that won't carry for too long.

But back to your issue... maybe try soy, but I think lots of meat in your diet is going to be the most important. Also add L-Glutamine in as a supplement. Around 4 grams minimum 2 times/day with food, and after lifting. This helped heal my intestines a LOT, stopped the mucus, the D, and feel better. Also is GREAT for muscle building and recovery, better with a whey shake, but still will be helpful I think.

#5 vic123

vic123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 01:29 AM

Hi all,

I have some questions about IBS and putting on weight. I'm in college and I was hoping to put on as much muscle as possible this summer before going back to school. I had moderate success while hitting the gym between 4 and 6 times a week. My weight seems to have plateaued after I put on 6 lbs this summer. It's definitely because I have trouble eating enough calories with my IBS. To continue putting on weight I would have to consume around 2600-2800 calories per day. I was wondering if anyone had tips on how to achieve this with IBS.

I can't overeat or my IBS-D will act up immediately. 

I am dairy free, so I can't take in whey or casein protein powder. Anyone have any success with other kinds of protein powders?

I am thinking about starting creatine. I've heard a lot of mixed things about creatine + IBS. I guess ultimately it will depend how my body personally reacts, but feel free to share if anyone has tips or experiences.

Thanks

I know this is OOOOOOOOOOOLD.

But yeah, cannabis might help. MIGHT.

Eat a lot of rice with ur meals! I mainly eat chicken breasts and rice! Only with salt!

I make japanese rice on the crockpot.

I used to be 52kg.. now I'm at like 73kg... 1.70m of height...

U can get there, guys.

This is for anyone with IBS.

Weightlifting will HELP IBS also!

Don't mind too much about supplements, but if you do, look for PROMERA CONCRET creatine.

doesn't mess up ur stomach/bowels.

hope this helps someone on the future.

peace,.

#6 Michellefit

Michellefit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 28 December 2019 - 01:47 PM

So I switched from hot yoga 4-5 times a week to weight training 3 days a week with some spin and yoga. Omg it has made my IBS-D awful! Idk what to do. I dont want to give up weight training. I am so thin I wanted to build muscle for a nicer body. I had no butt doing yoga, and I have seen good gains there, just at what cost? Idk if I should just give up or not.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: exercise, weightlifting, IBS-D, creatine, dairy

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here