SIBO/Mild Crohn's Trying Vivonex - Page 2 - Your Story - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo
- - - - -

SIBO/Mild Crohn's Trying Vivonex

SIBO Vivonex Crohns

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 jaumeb

jaumeb

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1607 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 04:47 AM

Sorry to hear that. Thanks for sharing the news.

#22 rewinj

rewinj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:22 PM

The lactulose breath test notoriously over-diagnoses. It's a strong laxative (similar to sorbitol... a "non-digestible" sugar), and will upset most normal people's systems quite a bit. Don't worry so much about the test...

#23 CoVo

CoVo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 12:16 PM

They said that in my first breath test a couple months ago there was a highly elevated baseline for methane, an early rise in methane, and an early rise in hydrogen. In the post-Vivonex breath test, the methane was lower and there was no early rise and there was significantly smaller early rise in hydrogen.  I've now started erythromycin. I'm also thinking that I should give my system a break during the week. Something like low FODMAP for 3 days, then 3 days of Vivonex, repeat. I'm also starting to figure out that some stuff that's "ok" on low FODMAP is not handled well by my stomach - e.g., corn tortillas. So I think there's still a lot I need to figure out. As mentally hard as the Vivonex protocol was, the upside was that I didn't have to worry about what I was eating and how it was going to affect my system.

• cpjjm likes this

#24 cpjjm

cpjjm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 01:27 PM

I am on day 7 of vivonex. You made me feel better because I was supposed to do 4 a day and I just couldn't stomach it. I am just going to do it for 10 days. I feel nauseous from it. I'm just curious what has been happening with your diet and health since your last post. I'm a bit unsure what to eat moving forward. I'd love some advice from those who've been through it. Thanks...

#25 Mike Marchelli

Mike Marchelli

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 14 December 2015 - 01:11 PM

For the last year, I've been experiencing severe abdominal bloating after eating some foods.  I'm talking serious, 8 month pregnant looking bloating. I tried avoiding certain foods but it seems like I could never get rid of all the problem foods.  It got progressively worse. I gained about 10 pounds that would not go away.  I went to the gastro who prescribed an antibiotic regimen. I tried three different kinds (opted not to try Neomycin), with no resolution. My blood tests were mostly normal except some anemia and some sort of proteins that are present in people with Crohn's. I did not have a gluten or lactose allergy.  I did the breath test which came back positive for SIBO. Then I did a colonoscopy/endoscopy which found ulcers on the leocecal valve consistent with Crohn's. I did the camera/pill capsule which came back normal. So the diagnosis now is mild Crohn's and SIBO. I'm going to try Vivonex beginning on Monday as my next step.  I'm going to try it with the Crystal light flavor packet.  I am nervous about Candida and worried that this is going to be a really difficult process.  But I'm so tired of the bloating and the Low Fod map diet is so miserable, that I want to try and get a handle on this. My gastro hasn't really given me any direction on how to do Vivonex, so I'm going off my internet research. I'm planning to hang out at home most of the time. I feel like if I'm not doing much I don't need to consumer 2000 calories. I'm thinking 1200 should be sufficient.

I found a cure it is called Amitriptyline. Your welcome

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SIBO, Vivonex, Crohns

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here