Enema Information/Vegan IBS - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Enema Information/Vegan IBS

enema supplement probiotics

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jacob4200

Jacob4200

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 20 October 2015 - 06:18 PM

Advertisement

Hello, My Name is Jacob. I'm 15 and have had IBS for a little under 2 years. My symptoms are sever constipation, (not quite as bad anymore) bloating, never having the urge to go, hard/dry stools, having to push to get anything out. I wasn't told these symptoms are abnormal to the majority of people, until I went to the doctor for bloody stools. (due to anus fissures, and hemorrhoids) 

Since my doctor has told me I have IBS he's tried to give me Miralax (didn't work, at all plus it dehydrated me even though I drank a lot), a strong laxative to "clean everything out". I've increased fiber into my diet, around 20g a day, this for me just slows down my digestion even more though. Ultimately not helping at all. However recently I have been using a plain water enema. This is the only thing that has provided any relief to me. My question is to everyone on this forum who uses enemas is what should I put in my enema besides water? I heard aloe vera, but does it have to be the gel I only have the lotion, would this work? Also should I put probiotic supplements powder into the enemas? Also what else could I put in the enema to help. I hope a lot of you are familiar with enemas, if not please don't reply with biased, unscientific information. Another question I have is, would putting supplements like zinc, magnesium, etc in your enema be better, the same or, worse in terms of absorption into the bloodstream?

I plan to try a vegan diet, should be an easy transition with the help of my already vegan sister. Another question I have, is there any scientific proof that having a vegan diet will help with constipation/ IBS symptoms. I see a lot of info on people with IBS being cured by vegan diets but they have not scientific reasoning for it. I'd like to know before investing in an expensive vegan based diet.

A bit about me:

Weight: 145

Height: 5' 11"

Active: Very

Bowel Frequency:1-2 per week

Medication: Cannabis, 7 mg Aderall daily

Supplements: Fish oil, multivitamin, zinc

#2 Xxyyzz

Xxyyzz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 07:46 AM

In my experience, the best way to treat constipation is to take vitamin C powder on an empty stomache, first thing in the morning. Then it works like a stool softener. The water it's taken with goes directly to the colon. It should be buffered with kalium, kalcium and magnesium, otherwise you get dificient in those minerals. I take 1 tsp of Thorne Research Buffered C Powder. That gives me normal BMs. Otherwise nothing, completely constipated.

Don't take enemas regularly for a long period of time. It is possible to loose the last ability your colon has to work for itself. Then even the enema water won't come out.

The bloating you have - is that in the colon (around the belly) or in the small intestine (like a ball in the middle of the stomache)? If it is in the small intestine it could be SIBO - small intestinal bacterial owergrowth. Then it's not good to be vegan, because all the fibers and carbs will feed the bacterias like anything. But we are all different, so you need to find out what works for you.

#3 Sean

Sean

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 02:23 PM

Jacob, your symptoms are almost identical to mine and I started having severe constipation at about the same age. Like you, Miralax doesn't work for me. I have also used water enemas at times and they are usually effective. I have never added anything to the water except on a few occasions. I tried salt (2 level teaspoons to a quart of water) but felt like the enema was less effective. I had trouble getting all of the water to come back out and the process of emptying took a long time. A few times I have used soap in the water. I had some enemas in the hospital that had liquid soap added to them and they seem to be more aggressive. They are also more uncomfortable. I have only used liquid soap in the water when I was really impacted. They are very effective, however. I wouldn't think they are for long term use.

I am not sure you need to add anything to the water. Just make sure it is a few degrees above body temperature. If you think the enemas are not being effective enough, you can always take in a larger amount of water. How much water are you taking in at a time? What did your doctor tell you about doing enemas?

#4 dlind70

dlind70

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 06:49 AM

3-5 soaked almonds and 100% pomegranate juice first thing when you wake.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: enema, supplement, probiotics

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here