My Most Embarrassing Experience Ever - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

My Most Embarrassing Experience Ever

pain cramping irritable bowel syndrome embarrassing school stress anxiety upset stomach plane toilet

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TheLAWvirus

TheLAWvirus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 28 October 2015 - 04:33 PM

Advertisement

Yesterday was probably the most embarrassing day I've ever experience to do with my IBS I've have so far.

I had just been on a school trip to Berlin for 4 days and my IBS had been relatively manageable and ok until the flight back...

I was with about 46 pupils in my year and 6 teachers, just before we got on the plane I started getting a bit of stomach pain and made the decision to have some buscopan and paracetamols to try and control the pain. 

Unfortunately it just got worst, when I'd finally found my seat on the plane the pain started to get unbearable and I started to sob trying not to let anyone notice but after the flight attendant was giving the health and safety speech (which lasted forever) I started uncontrollably crying in pain, everyone student started looking at me and asking what was wrong as the plane was starting to get ready to take off. The pain was probably the worst stomach pain I've ever had, it was so intense and wasn't ever coming in waves or anything it was just non - stop agonizing pain. 

Then I started to really need to go to the toilet and if that wasn't worst enough it was right at the moment when no one was allowed to stand up or get off. I started panicking thinking that I was going to cr*p myself then and there in front of all my peers. So I began shouting to the teachers that I need to get off now, and that I really needed the toilet (I felt so sorry for the other people on the plane who had to listen to this) but they just replied that they couldn't do anything as the plane was about to take off, on top of this one of the boys on the plane decided to shout "see she just needs a s***". 

After the plane had taken off (which seemed like years) a flight attendant then came over to speak to me, and while still being in unbearable pain and crying I said that I have to go to the bathroom now. Luckily she said I could, after going to the bathroom though I was still crying in unbearable pain for over an hour with all my peers watching and my teachers asking if there was anything they could do. It had to be the most embarrassing MOMENT OF MY LIFE.

#2 marleyma

marleyma

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 28 October 2015 - 05:38 PM

So sorry this happened. That sounds horrible. And wow what an ass that boy is! More importantly, did you ever find out what exactly caused the pain? What helped ease it/made it worse? I don't know what to say but just know you are not alone!

#3 TheLAWvirus

TheLAWvirus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 28 October 2015 - 05:42 PM

Thank you for your support I think that something must of set off my stomach and because I was panicking which probably made it a lot worst but eventually after using the toilet a few times and taking some more painkillers the pain did start to ease.

#4 TheTruthSeeker

TheTruthSeeker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 28 October 2015 - 07:44 PM

Hi there :)

Well that was a hell of an adventure you had. We understand you as each one of us either had an embarrasing situation or was really close to having a one. While already being ill and travelling to my ex-fiance I used to stuff myself with medical coal in the early stages of my illness. When my condition got worser I had to switch to Loperamid/Laremid ('Imodium' in USA) + not eating during travel. Upon taking pills I didn't have diarrhea for most of the time but suffered from gases and abdominal pain. By own stupidity I was making things worser. You know... tall guy, elegant shoes, elegant shirt, elegant tight black jeans, dark blue tie...had to look good when going abroad to ex-fiance. Unfortunately mr. Million Dollars and his tight jeans were sometimes unbearable as abdominal pain was increasing when sitting. 

When I think about it I remember that sometimes even loperamid didn't work and I had to run to the toilet at the airport. Once I was nearly late for check-in because stayed so long. I've came only on 3rd call which was the last one that they usually do and then close gates. Another time both me and my ex-fiance we were going to the mcDonald's somewhere in the suburbs of Paris. I ate some mcCrap and drank rust removal liquid better known as Coca-Cola. 

We went out and were heading to some Target-like mall to buy food for sapper etc. Inside the mall I felt such an incredible urge to use toilet that I couldn't wait any longer. I had impossible abdominal pain so without hiding it much I've stated to fiance that I don't feel good and need to return to the apartment asap. The apartment was like 800 meters away from the mall which was making me feel stressed. 

Upon ignoring ex-fiance's ranting on how I'm not manly enough and leave her to do the shopping alone, and that probably I just want to avoid paying etc. I ran to the apartment. Unfortunately somewhere like 300 meters away I couldn't hold it and well... . It felt as if I was pooping with acid. A pain that is impossible to describe. Fortunately for me I used some of my ninja skills to sneak in stealth mode all these 300 meters despite the fact that it was a full daylight. My biggest worry was that sooner or later my fiance will come back and being caught in some embarrasing situation was the last thing I wanted. I don't know how I did it but in 30 minutes I was able to use toilet, wash my underwear, leave it dry, hide it in the suitcase, ventilate the apartment and change my clothes. Fortunately my pants were not dirty and underwear was made of satin-like material which was relatively easy to clean and dry. 

When she came back I made up something like "I felt like vomiting and was hurt on belly". I remember the weird feeling that I had. I felt kinda 'happy' that she didn't notice anything but at the same time terrified by what just happened. Before my illness kicked in on 3rd visit to Paris, July 2011, I was always slightly constipated. I could eat basically everything in whatever combinations I wanted. I don't know what an extreme example would suit here but for example eating lemon and drinking milk would not cause diarrhea. That's how resistant I was.

Anyways, end of stories for now. Time for advices :) First of all check if you don't have any thyroid problems. Second, read a little bit about human microbiome to better understand what is happening inside your intestines so that you can better manage your illness. One user have posted an interesting article on these forums. Here's the link to it : https://www.gutsense...tsense/ibs.html

Another interesting article that leads to a series of medical research studies is : http://chriskresser....gut-connection/

Don't give up :) It's all just a more complicated riddle. Something like 9x9 rubik's cube. To be solved... ;)

#5 lithium

lithium

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 28 October 2015 - 09:06 PM

So sorry this happened to you.

#6 TheLAWvirus

TheLAWvirus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 29 October 2015 - 08:29 AM

Thanks for all your support I'm so glad that I found this site.

The TruthSeeker thank you for the links they have helped a lot and I'm sorry for what happened although it did make me feel a lot better that it's not just me that this type of thing has happened to. rolleyes.gif

#7 mydogsandme

mydogsandme

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 02:08 PM

Truthseeker aren't you able to tell your fiance about these problems? I feel you should given you'll marry her.the stress of keeping it hidden won't be helping your IBS.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pain, cramping, irritable bowel syndrome, embarrassing, school, stress, anxiety, upset stomach, plane, toilet

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here