Are you guys easily able to gain weight - Diet - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Are you guys easily able to gain weight

weight rectum constipation diarrhea anus anal rectocele stool poop hemmorhoids

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 anonymousgyrl

anonymousgyrl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 30 October 2015 - 11:56 PM

Advertisement

I try to look carefully in what i eat so I don't cause flare ups. I notice my weight hasnt changed. In Nov. 2014 i was 90 pounds, then in 2015 I dropped to 88, 83 and now I am at 86 pounds. Is this normal? Are you guys easily able to gain weight? 

#2 Stephanie Kitelinger

Stephanie Kitelinger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 15 November 2015 - 09:26 AM

I have IBS-C. Was diagnosed about a year ago from I would assume heavy anti biotic use for frequent kidney and bladder infections. I am having weight loss as well but it is from a fungal issue and possibly SIBO. The bacteria and fungus eat all your nutrients. The candida develops because of bacteria imbalance.  What diet are you on may I ask?

#3 funnigurl13

funnigurl13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 16 November 2015 - 09:51 PM

I'm about as tiny as you, and nope, gaining weight is super difficult for me...I've always been small and maintained it, but decreased appetite has made me lose, and I'm praying I'm able to get some of that back! It's been a gradual loss, but enough for me to really dislike it and I'm trying to fight my body's natural desire to regulate...not easy for us little folks! smile.png

#4 lifeisahorrorstory

lifeisahorrorstory

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 30 November 2015 - 05:53 PM

i have a hard too gaining  weight. I find eating coconut oil helps me gain but it;s kinda gross.

#5 jaumeb

jaumeb

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1607 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 04:55 AM

I managed to gain some weight the last two months.

#6 lvh21

lvh21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 07:20 AM

has it helped your ibs at all?

I am also currently underweight and i am hoping that with gaining back to a healthy level it will help....its my only hope!!

#7 jaumeb

jaumeb

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1607 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 09:17 AM

Lvh21, I found a diet that was working better for me and my ibs symptoms lessened and I started to slowly re-gain some weight. I still have symptoms and I am still underweight, but things were worse three months ago.

#8 lvh21

lvh21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 10:16 AM

Thanks for replying!

If you don't mind me asking..what kind of diet is working best for you now?

#9 jaumeb

jaumeb

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1607 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 10:39 AM

White rice, potatoes, yam (African dioscorea, not the sweet American yam), meat, fish, some low fodmaps veggies (zucchini, green beans, ... ) and olive oil. Also some iodized sea salt.

#10 Noca

Noca

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:48 PM

If you have daily diarrhea than it only makes logical sense that it will be more difficult to sustain weight.  Your food does not stay in your digestive tract as long and therefore less calories are absorbed.  You gain weight not when you consume more calories than you burn BUT when you ABSORB more calories than you burn.  If the microvilli in your digestive tract are inflammed and flattened as a result, then expect even less of the nutrtients of your food to be absorbed.

#11 Noca

Noca

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:50 PM

Diet restriction is not a good approach to IBS management.

Stefan M.D.

I am sorry, but what terrible advice.  So if you had IBS(which clearly you don't) you would just keep eating tons of garlic, onions and beans?  Baloney.  Even the FODMAP diet which is recognized by western medicine acknowledges the benefit of dietary adjustments to those with IBS.

#12 marleyma

marleyma

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 05 December 2015 - 12:57 PM

I agree. Unfortunately, certain things for some people need to be restricted even if they are "healthy" foods.

#13 DanaChambers

DanaChambers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:57 AM

Weight gain is quite difficult for me.

#14 TarunSareen

TarunSareen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 25 June 2018 - 03:43 PM

Any luck anyone? Anything helped?

#15 Positiveside

Positiveside

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 10:48 PM

It's difficult to gain weight when you have IBS. That is totally normal. It's because bacteria suck out all the good nutrients you have in the body. Try consulting a dietician for a better to diet to avoid this.

#16 MarsRover

MarsRover

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 08 September 2018 - 06:00 AM

My weight loss is not because of bacteria sucking all the nutrients out of my body, it's simply because I'm not eating enough. But when food has such awful consequences, you don't want to eat. I'm currently using the Boost Very High Calorie shakes to try to stop losing weight.

#17 TarunSareen

TarunSareen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 15 September 2018 - 07:21 AM

There got to be a solution!!!

#18 DarkDream

DarkDream

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 17 February 2019 - 01:45 PM

Used to, but that was because of the meds I was on.

Currently 13 stone,6ft 3 tall, 34 inch waist.
Which is neither underweight or overweight for a guy.

However my stomach is constantly bloated and fat.
Whether that is because of IBS? and possible SIBO....I'm getting tested for SIBO in March.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: weight, rectum, constipation, diarrhea, anus, anal, rectocele, stool, poop, hemmorhoids

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here