Coping with stomach pain? - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Coping with stomach pain?

ibsd cramping pain

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Caz2711

Caz2711

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 03:16 PM

Advertisement

Hi all,

Just wondering how you all manage your ibs pain?  I've tried paracetamol, buscopan, breathing, meditation and hot water bottles.  So far, only the hot water bottle seems to provide any relief, but it has left my skin really badly scarred from the heat, and you cant exactly take it with you when you have to go out.  Just wondering if anyone has any tips/experience on managing their severe abdominal pain?  I can't keep taking days off work because of this!!! 

#2 dlind70

dlind70

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 06:29 PM

tried apple cider vinegar? Also, massaging the area clockwise with a cold compress will help the pain.

#3 Caz2711

Caz2711

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 06:55 PM

Apple cider vinegar would be too acidic I think.  Doc already has me on acid-reducing meds for my stomach.  Also the pain is never just one area - it spasms across the whole abdomen and into my back, and is too tender to the touch to really massage. :S

#4 dlind70

dlind70

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 09:14 PM

Well Caz I don't think this remedy is a problem.  ACV has many benefits including unclogging junk in the colon.  Tomatoes too are acidic in the mouth and stomach, yet their alkaline residue alkalizes the body.  Did you also know that 99 percent of food is acidic or neutral in the mouth and stomach

Even though liquid ACV is acidic, 
its ash leaves an alkaline residue

#5 Nanobug

Nanobug

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 10 November 2015 - 12:35 AM

Paracetamol is a liver killer and, as such, it is probably a bad idea to use it long term.

Buscopan is an anticholinergic. Anticholinergics affect motility and cause gastroparesis. I am personally not a fan. In my case, with IBS-D, I actually use pro-cholinergic agents with good results.

You mention pain in the stomach. Are you talking about the organ called stomach or using "stomach" to refer to the whole belly?

#6 Caz2711

Caz2711

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 07:02 AM

Hi Nano,

Can you give me an example of a pro-cholinergic medication?  Surely these are like stimulants, and speed up your metabolism rather than slowing it down?  Also, my pain is located in two places - up at the centre and under my left rib (stomach) and in my lower abdomen (colon), however the severe pain which I want to ease is the colon pain, which is accompanied by large swelling and severe discomfort.

dlind70: any chance you could give me a website source about ACV and IBS?  Sorry to be skeptical, but any of the studies I've read say there's no proof it actually helps!

#7 Nanobug

Nanobug

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:26 AM

Can you give me an example of a pro-cholinergic medication?

Nicotine. This is the easiest and safest to start with, assuming you don't have terribly high blood pressure. I put a nicotine patch when I wake up and remove it a couple of hours before going to bed.

Surely these are like stimulants, and speed up your metabolism rather than slowing it down?

Acetylcholine is the main parasympathetic nervous system neurotransmitter. It balances the sympathetic nervous system, the one associated with the fight-or-flight response, for example. Wikipedia is your friend here if you decide to further research the issue.

Also, my pain is located in two places - up at the centre and under my left rib (stomach)

That kind of sounds like gastritis. Have you had an upper endoscopy done? Have you been tested for the presence of helicobacter pylori?

and in my lower abdomen (colon)

This could be many things including gas. A colonoscopy should help here, including biopsy to rule out microscopic colitis.

#8 Leo41

Leo41

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 10 November 2015 - 10:27 AM

The thing is determine the cause of the pain. Is it spasms of the intestines? Does it come and go, are there periods where it subsides and you feel nearly fine? Does it build and hit like waves? Is it gas related... can you feel it moving around (pain), does it shift or change when you pass gas? Are you passing gas? Etc.

If it is spasms I would tell you one thing.. if it is gas I would do another. How are your stools through this? Are you going? Do you have noticeable mucus? 

#9 Caz2711

Caz2711

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 11:42 AM

Ok so I'll try to respond to all this.  Firstly, I smoke, so nicotine is well and truly in my system, and makes no difference.

No colonoscopy or endoscopy yet (don't ask me why, doctor incompetence has me waiting for a pancreatic CT instead).

As for the pains: under my ribs etc - I have been tested for H. Plyori which came up negative, the pain is best described as a twisting knife boring through my side.

Colon pain:  Much harder to describe (esp to men), but a bit like labor pains.  Severe cramping, spasms and bloating (no unusual gas however BMs can range from very loose to none at all for a few days).

Things I have been tested for (and have come back clear): H. Pylori, upper abdominal ultrasound, F.O.B test, standard stool sample, standard blood sample, tumor marker tests for colon and ovarian cancer, inflammation blood tests.  Awaiting result on stool sample for pancreatic enzymes.

Only things that have come back different - minimally underactive thyroid, and slight raise in lymphocyte levels (which during the winter is not unusual).

Basically I'm a doctor's worst nightmare; no test has confirmed anything wrong with me, yet I spend at least 5 days out of seven in so much pain I can barely walk.  I just want to relieve the pain and the bloating, maybe even eat a meal that doesn't have to be so low in fat and sugar that it's unbearable to call it food.

Any ideas at all would really help.  Thanks guys.

#10 Nanobug

Nanobug

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 10 November 2015 - 12:52 PM

I smoke, so nicotine is well and truly in my system, and makes no difference

Unlike a nicotine patch, tobacco contains thousands of different chemicals with a ton of nasty side effects, many of them carcinogenic. And then there's the smoke itself. I'd stay away!

Not directly related to IBS but nonetheless interesting: Study finds nicotine safe, helps in Alzheimer's, Parkinson's

No colonoscopy or endoscopy yet

I'd say these are fundamental and should be done. When doing colonoscopy, insist on biopsy even if no polyps are found - that's the only way to rule out microscopic colitis.

#11 Brian_C6

Brian_C6

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 01:10 PM

If it is spasms I would tell you one thing.. if it is gas I would do another. How are your stools through this? Are you going? Do you have noticeable mucus? 

My abdomen pressure and pain seems to moves around... although, there are common locations.  

The pressure and pain are most intense after eating.  Exercising helps overall pressure.  Passing gas usually releases much of the pain and pressure but it doesn't take long for it to come back.  Things get worse as the day goes on.  Coffee seems to make things worse too.  Alcohol seems to release pressure, but things are worse the following day.  

Wondering if you have any suggestions?

#12 Caz2711

Caz2711

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 01:43 PM

Nanobug, while that is helpful, going through everything I'm going through right now doesn't exactly prompt the willpower I need to quit smoking, so I think I'll stay on them for the meantime.  The point was that I am taking in pro-cholinergic's, and they are making no difference.

​I've completely stopped all caffeine and alcohol, and I can just about stomach three very small meals a day now (which is still a significant improvement!).

I just wish someone would help with some advice about easing the pain - I'm spending all day every day in bed with a hot water bottle and I'm sick of it!!

#13 Nanobug

Nanobug

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 10 November 2015 - 02:17 PM

I just wish someone would help with some advice about easing the pain - I'm spending all day every day in bed with a hot water bottle and I'm sick of it!!

Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth could be a cause of abdominal pain. A simple test would be to try a carbohydrate-free diet for a few days and see what happens. No milk or mild-derived products either because of lactose.

Proton-pump inhibitors such as omeprazole and cousins also appear to cause/exacerbate SIBO. Is this the kind of antacid you're taking?

#14 Caz2711

Caz2711

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 04:35 PM

Already tried every diet change available, including FODMAP, dairy free, gluten free, sugar free.  Nothing working.  I am on omeprazole, however these symptoms had developed long before I was prescribed them.

Maybe I'm just going to have to wait for my doc to get me an endo or colonoscopy before I really know what's going on, if she ever does....

#15 Leo41

Leo41

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 10 November 2015 - 04:35 PM

Ok so I'll try to respond to all this.  Firstly, I smoke, so nicotine is well and truly in my system, and makes no difference.

No colonoscopy or endoscopy yet (don't ask me why, doctor incompetence has me waiting for a pancreatic CT instead).

As for the pains: under my ribs etc - I have been tested for H. Plyori which came up negative, the pain is best described as a twisting knife boring through my side.

Colon pain:  Much harder to describe (esp to men), but a bit like labor pains.  Severe cramping, spasms and bloating (no unusual gas however BMs can range from very loose to none at all for a few days).

Things I have been tested for (and have come back clear): H. Pylori, upper abdominal ultrasound, F.O.B test, standard stool sample, standard blood sample, tumor marker tests for colon and ovarian cancer, inflammation blood tests.  Awaiting result on stool sample for pancreatic enzymes.

Only things that have come back different - minimally underactive thyroid, and slight raise in lymphocyte levels (which during the winter is not unusual).

Basically I'm a doctor's worst nightmare; no test has confirmed anything wrong with me, yet I spend at least 5 days out of seven in so much pain I can barely walk.  I just want to relieve the pain and the bloating, maybe even eat a meal that doesn't have to be so low in fat and sugar that it's unbearable to call it food.

Any ideas at all would really help.  Thanks guys.

Caz,

Ok to me this sounds like you are dealing with intestinal spasming. The labor pain thing for me is the biggie. That was/is exactly how I described my pain to people before I knew that spasms felt like that. 

First.. I want you to take the time to read through my whole first post. I want you to read close and see if what I describe matches a bit of what you are having. I go into detail in the posts on what I tried, what I use, and what helped. IMO things build with this, and finally get to the point where you are now. You have to remove all possible triggers (bland bone broth, liquid diet), and let the intestines heal... while using things to calm it all down.. peppermint tea, fennel tea, L-Glutamine etc. In time, can be a while it will calm down. Stay completely off the alcohol, and caffiene. I too smoke, and yes it does make it worse, but I did keep smoking through the healing. IMO you need heathers peppermint tea NOW. You will not believe the amount of pain relief it gives from spasms, at least in my experience.

Here is the link to my thread...  http://www.ibsgroup....r-some-answers/

#16 Leo41

Leo41

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 10 November 2015 - 04:56 PM

My abdomen pressure and pain seems to moves around... although, there are common locations.  

The pressure and pain are most intense after eating.  Exercising helps overall pressure.  Passing gas usually releases much of the pain and pressure but it doesn't take long for it to come back.  Things get worse as the day goes on.  Coffee seems to make things worse too.  Alcohol seems to release pressure, but things are worse the following day.  

Wondering if you have any suggestions?

For me coffee made it worse. Alcohol was usually not a problem when I drank it but the next day was hell. This got progressively worse. 

The moving around makes me think a lot of gas. Sometimes IBS will be spasms mainly (the original poster), and sometimes more gas trapped because of erratic intestinal contractions. Again as I posted for him... it needs to be calmed down. No caffiene, no alcohol. I would go lactose free as well. I would then add to that heathers fennel tea. Might be worth it to try the peppermint as well. The fennel does wonders for me with gas pain, while the peppermint is a straight smooth muscle relaxer. 

Eat clean, and stay away from triggers for minimum 2-3 weeks. See how it improves.

Fair to say I an NOT a holistic guy. The teas I thought would be straight B.S. However I have been shocked at what they do for me from day one, and that still holds. They ARE that good for this.

#17 Caz2711

Caz2711

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 05:00 PM

Hi Leo,

Read through your post and, while some of the symptoms (such as the pain level) match mine, I haven't experienced any of the vomiting you have (although a lot of nausea).  For a long time I couldn't eat at all, then once the doc put  me on pancreatic enzymes I seemed to begin to eat a little more each day.  My weight fluctuates depending on how ill I am, but I'm not massively dropping weight thanks to the food (which is strange actually, because I'm eating practically nothing, but I assume my body must be storing it or something).

I'm going to go to the doc tomorrow and will ask about your meds to see if they think they will work better, but my doc is pretty stubborn about me recommending anything I've read online (she believes the internet is essentially the devil).

As for the peppermint tea - I'm taking peppermint oil capsules at the moment.  They're meant to be better because they don't activate until they reach your colon and act as an anti-inflammatory (according to doc, peppermint which activates in the stomach could cause me quite painful heartburn).

Oh, and I don't drink at all, and haven't had any caffeine in over two months.  The only dairy I've taken in the past two months is the odd pro-bio yogurt, but even then, the impact is minimal.

Thanks for all your help and advice though.  You've been through so much with this (and are still going through it), so it means a lot that you've taken the time to try and help me out.

And that goes for everyone on this post as well.  There are days it gets so bad that I just don't want to be around anymore, but forums like this give me the support I need to keep going and people to ask questions to who have been through it themselves.  Hopefully one day soon I'll be able to get out of this bed and actually do something fun.  I'd love to be able to eat Christmas dinner with the family (esp since I'm cooking for all of them), but the closer it gets, the less likely it seems.

#18 Nanobug

Nanobug

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 10 November 2015 - 05:27 PM

EDIT: whoops, I didn't see your post before posting mine.

I think I've run out of ideas, except maybe trying simethicone just in case it is trapped gas. But you say you don't have much gas so it's probably not going to help.

Leo41 above suggests trying peppermint oil for spasms. It is worth giving it a try. At the very least, your burps will smell delicious! Buscopan is also a spasmolytic so I don't know whether adding peppermint oil will make much of a difference. But who knows? In the US we have Pepogest which is an enteric-coated formulation of peppermint oil. This way, it can deliver a much larger dosage without burning one's stomach. I believe it is available in the UK as well.

#19 Caz2711

Caz2711

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 05:46 PM

LOL Nanobug, that's okay.  Thanks for the advice anyway!

#20 Leo41

Leo41

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 11 November 2015 - 08:38 AM

Hi Leo,

Read through your post and, while some of the symptoms (such as the pain level) match mine, I haven't experienced any of the vomiting you have (although a lot of nausea).  For a long time I couldn't eat at all, then once the doc put  me on pancreatic enzymes I seemed to begin to eat a little more each day.  My weight fluctuates depending on how ill I am, but I'm not massively dropping weight thanks to the food (which is strange actually, because I'm eating practically nothing, but I assume my body must be storing it or something).

I'm going to go to the doc tomorrow and will ask about your meds to see if they think they will work better, but my doc is pretty stubborn about me recommending anything I've read online (she believes the internet is essentially the devil).

As for the peppermint tea - I'm taking peppermint oil capsules at the moment.  They're meant to be better because they don't activate until they reach your colon and act as an anti-inflammatory (according to doc, peppermint which activates in the stomach could cause me quite painful heartburn).

Oh, and I don't drink at all, and haven't had any caffeine in over two months.  The only dairy I've taken in the past two months is the odd pro-bio yogurt, but even then, the impact is minimal.

Thanks for all your help and advice though.  You've been through so much with this (and are still going through it), so it means a lot that you've taken the time to try and help me out.

And that goes for everyone on this post as well.  There are days it gets so bad that I just don't want to be around anymore, but forums like this give me the support I need to keep going and people to ask questions to who have been through it themselves.  Hopefully one day soon I'll be able to get out of this bed and actually do something fun.  I'd love to be able to eat Christmas dinner with the family (esp since I'm cooking for all of them), but the closer it gets, the less likely it seems.

I'll be interested to hear what the doc says. My meds are antispasmodics, and are standard prescripts for IBS pain. Also they are on the AGA guidelines for standard treatment. I have tried the peppermint pills myself, and honestly never liked them. They did not do much, and messed with my GERD even though they were high quality, and coated. For me the tea is completely different. The soothing of the warm tea with the fresh (and I mean fresh) peppermint just shuts down pain/spasms and it is immediate (5 minutes). I would not have made it to where I am without it. Making my gerd worse with oil in the stomach was a big concern for me too but I found the tea really does not do this. I take prilosec daily normally btw. As long as I don't drink more than 2 big mugs daily, or drink it when I was due for a pill the tea is fine. The Pep oil caps.. no they messed with it bad after 2 days of use. 

I have come to understand the vomiting was my body's reaction to the pain/spasms when they were really bad. Also from the inflammation I think I had going on from it. More a reaction to the IBS symptoms than one of them. How I can relate to your last paragraph. Back then I really was close to going suicidal, but thankfully I have my family which was the difference even though I was so beyond miserable. When you have that kind of pain day after day and have no control over it those thoughts come.

link for you..

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/19835990

• Caz2711 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ibsd, cramping, pain

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here