Working on a FODMAP app, would love your feedback - Apps and Media - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo
- - - - -

Working on a FODMAP app, would love your feedback

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ibsonaut

ibsonaut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 13 November 2015 - 10:36 AM

Advertisement

I've had IBS for 15 years and the last year I've found great relief in the low FODMAP diet. If I follow it correctly I don't have any symptoms BUT - it is a complicated diet. Especially the re-introduction phase is a struggle for me. So, being a programmer I started this project to help me create a journal of what I eat and what my symptoms are. Part of the app is a database with food items and recipes - which is now live on the web. Would love to get some feedback on the web app (a mobile app is in the works too) - try it out here (it is totally free)

• jaumeb likes this

#2 jaumeb

jaumeb

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1607 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 01:19 PM

Nice pictures. It says POLYOIS instead of POLYOLS.

#3 ibsonaut

ibsonaut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 13 November 2015 - 02:12 PM

Thanks for the feedback - totally missed that, will fix :-)

#4 tummyrumbles

tummyrumbles

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 05:12 PM

The problem is that you're making a lot of assumptions. Just because something is low FODMAP doesn't mean it's IBS friendly. You will really steer people down the wrong path with advice like this. If you can tolerate any kind of bread at all then you have a completely different IBS to me. The worse food of all for me is starch, and the low-FODMAP breads are extremely high in starch, much worse than FODMAP breads. 

http://www.ibsgroup....y-cause-of-ibs/

http://www.ibsgroup....f-common-foods/

Of course you might just have a problem with high FODMAPs and tolerate starches fine. I probably tolerate high FODMAPs better than starches but for me problem foods are high fibre, high starch AND high FODMAPs. We're all different.

The real problem with IBS is that food residue in the colon provides food for bacteria. The trick is not to produce the food residue in the first place. Our guts weren't designed to eat highly concentrated man-made starches which are very hard to digest. Maybe research the physical make up of starch to gain understanding. It's basically a tightly coiled ball of polysaccharides that is difficult for enzymes to access.

Believe me if all you had to do was forego FODMAPs to cure your IBS we wouldn't all be here. IBS is tough to beat because a successful diet will leave very little residue in the colon. This means a diet which is basically meat / fish and veges. Maybe research specific carbohydrate diet and paleo diet as well.

I like the idea of a free app though in an area where charlatans are just trying to make money. Maybe just research the work that Mark Pimentel has done as well. This probably sounds like a harsh criticism but what I'd like to see is a website or app that simplifies understanding of how diet affects IBS but you need to do your research first.

There's a lot of science in this area but it's worth looking into.

• myirritablebowel likes this

My Wordpress blog: http://ibsnaturalcure.wordpress.com

#5 ibsonaut

ibsonaut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 16 November 2015 - 03:51 AM

Thanks for the input! I'm aware that the low FODMAP diet will not relieve symptoms for 100% of people with IBS but there seems to be serious studies showing that it can help. For me the low FODMAP diet has been life changing. This obviously taints my objective look at the matter and I will take your advice to make it clear that low FODMAP diet is not a "one-size-fits-all" solution to your IBS pains. Generally though - I think it can be helpful to track and make a journal of what you eat and how you feel to figure out what your personal triggers are.

#6 ibsonaut

ibsonaut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 16 November 2015 - 03:57 AM

And thanks for the tip on Mark Pimentel - bought the book and will read up on it

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here