IBS-C - Linzess + Dicyclomine and motility - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

IBS-C - Linzess + Dicyclomine and motility

Linzess

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sjw596

sjw596

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 05:54 PM

Advertisement

I'm 66 and have suffered CIC for 45 years, which seemed to evolve into IBS-C over the past several years.  About a year ago, I had a right hemi-colectomy that resulted from a cecal volvulous.  I recovered quickly and quite well.  I'm very active and in good health, and eat the same way, with a lot of fiber.  I had been taking Miralax daily for the past two years, but it seemed to lose its effect during the past four months.  It did however, kept my stools soft. I had a BM daily, but  didn't empty myself on most days. I suffered extreme gas and felt an urge to go without results.  The GI's nurse practitioner was going to have me take Miralax twice a day, but suggested Linzess 145 mcg. instead.  I'm into my third week, though I had a colonoscopy in the second week, which skewed things.  The nurse said that I could take Miralax with the Linzess, just to see how I adjust overall.  The Miralax + Linzess proved to be a little too much, though Linzess, alone, also keeps things on the little-too-loose side thus far.  Maybe I need to give it more time, and the nurse did suggest 90 days.

I basically suffer from dysmotility.  I had a sitz marker test recently, but only three of the markers remained after the week, which is good.  I was concerned that I had a stricture as a result of the surgery, so I had a colonoscopy.  The GI removed three pre-cancerous polyps.  However, my colon still is redundant, and my prep was inadequate for the GI to get a complete view.  So, I'm going to have another colonoscopy in June, with a two-day prep (that's got to be torturous)!  Anyway, as i still have some IBS symptoms with the Linzess, the nurse gave me some Dicyclomine.  I read that it can slow down motility and cause constipation.  It seems to me that taking Dicyclomine with Linzess is counter productive. I can live without the Dicyclomine, as I don't have the IBS symptoms every day, especially when the Linzess cleans me out.  I reviewed many of the Linzess threads and found them helpful.  We're all different, so our results will vary from person to person.  I did find that taking Linzess with a full glass of water made it work better.  I'll welcome any advice!  Thanks.

#2 Severe IBS-C

Severe IBS-C

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 01 January 2016 - 10:49 PM

I would like to say that everything I say is without any bias I'm 32-year-old professional male currently on probation. I had battled with addiction for 15 years. On June 6, 2013 I finally got sober. Within the first few weeks of inpatient rehab,I was admitted to the emergency room for abdominal pain. I was told that it was just gas and would pass.I left rehab Fourth of July and moved to a different location. I lived in a sober house, for A little over a year. I was active member of Alcoholics Anonymous and also throughout my time there I spent several nights in the hospital.Ihad a colonoscopy and endoscopic performed and many months in pain.I was told to change my diet and so I did I also stop smoking and started going to the gym and it got better for a short while .I was offered a career back home to the same place I grew up in and where I got high. I immediately got plugged in to AA. few short months after returning home for over a year and a half I had another flareup. I was in constant pain calling out of work every other week. I immediately called a Gastro doctor I was given the same information as the previous doctor. Eat well take fiber take this pill and this pill for that pill. None of it worked I continue to struggle with pain and now also depression. I have an intense career in car sales being a ready ADD only makes this worse. I prayed meditated and was also in therapy along with recovery. I could not get any clear answers until one day I met someone with IBS-C.We both have a lot in common as far as our symptoms go. He told me he was on medical marijuana that was the first time I heard of this. After much thought and speaking to my sponsor along with other recovered alcoholics.I decided to ask my doctor about this and he gave me a referral for medical marijuana.I am immediately took it upon myself to try it right away even though I know it wasn't legal and everyone around me did not agree with my decision. The following week I had a flareup and I immediately smoked some. It was better than anything I've tried before it got rid of my pain including my headache my loss of appetite and my fatigue. This was truly a miracle. Unfortunately after waiting 30 days I was not excepted in the program because I have IBS and not IBD which is not excepted in the State of New Jersey. This is a major dilemma. I am currently on probation with a few months left and I am also not considered to be sober amongst my peers. This is my life and I choose not to live in pain.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here