PI-IBS Story and Potential Aid - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

PI-IBS Story and Potential Aid

pi-ibs post-infections ibs culturelle probiotic ibs

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rockford12s

rockford12s

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:17 PM

Advertisement

Hi all, 

I figured since I've read nearly every post regarding IBS, specifically PI-IBS, I figured I'd share my story and where I'm at. Hopefully it helps ease the mind as some of these stories did for me. 

Back 4 months ago, I had gotten sick after eating ground beef that must have been contaminated. I woke up hours after eating it to urgent diarrhea. Had D 3-4 times that day, and then for about a week after that. I had started to feel better and went back to my everyday life, going out drinking, eating whatever I wanted, having a coffee every morning, etc. Well after about a couple weeks of doing that, I noticed my stools never really returned back to normal form. They were very soft, foul smelling, and just not easy to clean up as it use to be. I did get bouts of diarrhea randomly, maybe once a week, and took peptol bismal to help it. To my stupidity, I didn't go to a doctor immediately because I thought it would get better on its own as I've never really had any issues (young mid-20's). 

Continuing on, a little over a month ago, I had a weekend filled with drinking lots of beer at a festival. This is when it had really gotten bad. After that weekend I was getting constantly bloated, waking up with sharp pains, gas, etc. The stools never got back to normal also. I tried switching my diet up to eat more bland foods, like bananas bread peanut butter, etc. This didn't do much to help as most things I ate gave me lots of gas, bloating, cramping, growling and random bouts of D. I finally scheduled a GI appt and the doctor told me that its very likely Post Infectious-IBS. I had been taking a GNC brand probiotic for a couple weeks leading up to the appointment, but he recommended I give Culturelle a try. Since i've been taking this probiotic, I've already been feeling much better. The first day on Culturelle, I had gotten very urgent D, so I followed up with a fiber pill and then was somewhat constipated for the next couple days. After taking the fiber pill alongside the probiotic for 4 days, on the 4th day I went to the bathroom 3 times. It felt like somewhat urgent D, and stools came out soft, thin, and light colored. Aside from the abnormal stools, my gas/bloating/cramps/stomach noises have gone away almost entirely since I began Culturelle. I've gone off the fiber since I think that might have been affecting the stool abnormality even more. 

I definitely recommend anyone with PI-IBS give Culturelle a try. I'm only a week in and most of my symptoms have gone away. I have been eating better, but definitely still enjoy most all the foods I normally eat with minimal issue. This IBS has been affecting me for nearly 4 months but Im glad to share that Im feeling better after only one week on this supplement. 

Has anyone else had success with pi-ibs and probiotics? Or any other methods? 

#2 kenvh

kenvh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:31 AM

Hi im 9 months into PI IBS now.

I too had improvement with probiotics. but from renew life ultimate flora 50billion.

The problem was.. it stoped working after 3 weeks.. and after that time.. sibo become worse.

PI IBS = sibo by the way. if u do research, search about sibo. all PI IBS = sibo.

my believe is that it got temporary better with the probiotics bcoz the new bacteria were fighting the bad ones in the small intestine.

thats stops the bloating.

but when all things settled.. the new bacteria are now feeding on carbs and sugars in the small intestine.

and now they are even with more.

Im not 100%sure about this.. but this could be true.. as my symptoms first got a lot better and then worse then ever.

so pls keep us updated on the probiotic!

maybe it keeps working for u!

i gladly wonna know.

also: wich type do u take?

I know the s boulardii type is a yeast and destroys bad bacteria.. so the sibo gets better.

so this probiotic isnt really a bacteria strain.. thats the only one i wonna try for now.

#3 kacey10795

kacey10795

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 08:00 PM

• Dave Smith likes this

#4 rockford12s

rockford12s

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 14 January 2016 - 05:15 PM

I've had symptoms of PI IBS for a year now (got food poisoning last January) but I only went to a doctor a couple months ago and my doctor told me to try Culturelle, too. It seemed to help a little bit at first but not completely. I'm going to a gastroenterologist tomorrow as my symptoms have gotten worse. I still get extreme bloating and gas from my probiotic pretty much every night.

Hi Kacey,

How long were you on the probiotic? I've read (and experienced) that Culturelle at first could cause excessive gas and bloating in the first two weeks because the new good bacteria is first introduced to your gut. If it hasn't been that long id suggest trying it for a little longer. 

For me, after the first 1-2 weeks I felt like much if not all the gas went away. I've been on culturelle for a little over 3 weeks now and certainly feel better after taking it. As of late (the last few days) I've been feeling a lot more gassy. Im not sure if this is another stage in the process of my gut returning to normal or if its just continuing of the IBS...but either way I am going to continue taking it and hope that it helps more. 

Please do update us when you learn more

#5 kacey10795

kacey10795

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:06 PM

#6 Dave Smith

Dave Smith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:19 PM

yes try every other day at first

#7 kacey10795

kacey10795

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:26 PM

#8 rockford12s

rockford12s

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:11 AM

Kacey - my experience was and is somewhat similar. The first couple weeks on Culturelle I felt much better, then during the third week I began getting excessive gas after pretty much every meal I had. There has been some bloating and discomfort but it has reduced significantly since before I was on the probiotic. 

I'd suggest continuing to take the Culturelle. My doc recommended I take it for a month and then follow up. It's almost been a month and I am feeling better, I just need to figure out what I can do about the gas and soft stools. 

• kacey10795 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pi-ibs, post-infections ibs, culturelle, probiotic, ibs

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here