Advice Xifaxan Rx - IBS Diarrhea (IBS-D) - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Advice Xifaxan Rx

insurance copay patient assistance xifaxan IBS-D

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ibsanon

ibsanon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 09:35 AM

Advertisement

Hi guys...

I was wondering what the best way to get Xifaxan is? Should I go through the Salix patient assistance program? When I called, they said I would have to use their pharmacy, not CVS like I use for all my other medicines. Do you guys know what pharmacy they send from and what kind of experiences have you all had with it?

I am really suffering and this seems like it could have some promise, but I have had bad experiences with specialty pharmacies before. I don't want to get ripped off...

Appreciate all the help!!

#2 ct9422

ct9422

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 13 January 2016 - 11:54 AM

I know that when I purchased it, the $10 coupon didn't work whatsoever. Through my insurance, I had to pay hundreds for the script. That said, I don't recommend Xifaxan. I've taken it twice for small intestinal bacterial overgrowth @ 550 mg for 1 month. 

Not only did it NOT fix anything, I became extremely sick after completing the cycle (both times). It was such a terrible sickness each time that lasted for an entire month. Xifaxan, as an anti-biotic, kills both your bad AND good gut bacteria. Your doc should advise you to take a probitotic with it, but I highly highly highly recommend you don't forget even a single serving of probiotics. Your immune health depends on you not forgetting to take that probiotic. I'm sorry I can't be of more assistance with obtaining the medication itself, but whatever you do, don't pay out of pocket for it --- it's just not worth it.

Best of luck!

- Chris

• ibsanon likes this

#3 brox914

brox914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:58 PM

Similar feedback to the last poster. The benefits were very temporary and by day 14 I really struggled with no lasting benefits. I did simply go through my gastro for the script and through insurance I paid only a small copay for 60 pills. I believe it was $50, but may have been less.
  • ibsanon likes this

#4 ibsanon

ibsanon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:05 PM

Thank you to you both.. I am really ready to give anything a shot at this point. Unfortunately I can't use the co-pay coupon that they offer. I need to go through their patient assistance program, was wondering if anyone could share any experiences they have using that?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: insurance, copay, patient assistance, xifaxan, IBS-D

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here