Need advice- please help! - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Need advice- please help!

PI-IBS Nausea Anxiety

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dcl1597

dcl1597

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 12:36 PM

Advertisement

Hi everyone!

I've been reading this blog for a little while now and wanted to post to see if anyone had advice, related, or even could provide some encouragement.

I'm 18 and I started having problems last April while I was abroad. I was traveling, and woke up one morning feeling nauseous After having diarrhea everyday for a week, and taking a few over the counter remedies, I was taken to a clinic where they took some blood tests to check the enzymatic count in my liver, confirmed that it was okay, and then gave me metronidazole to treat for a possible parasite. After a little while on this, and eating only very basic foods, my stool started returning to normal. However I still had a constant feeling of nausea, which was irritated even further by certain foods, and also exercise. When I got back to the US, they tested me for different parasites, E Coli, Celiac, Crones, a Wheat allergy, etc. and everything came back totally normal. I did a breath test for SIBO and it came back tentatively positive, at which point they put my on Xifaxan, which did nothing. They then tried to put me on periactin to act as an antispasmodic, which gave me heart flutter, so I stopped taking it. I then went in for a gastroparesis test to see if my stomach was emptying normally, and that came up negative too. I was put on Levsin tablets but those also did nothing. Finally I went in for an upper endoscopy, which revealed that I had no ulcers, I was absorbing Iron properly, and that the only issue was the lining of my stomach was slightly inflamed, which my gastroenterologist said was likely due to acid reflux (I don't think I've ever had this before getting sick abroad- I'd very occasionally get heartburn but that wasn't a regular thing for me). So they put me on a pretty high dosage of omeprazole, and I've also been taking a daily probiotic. I still haven't noticed any changes, and still constantly have that nauseous feeling. Every now and then I have flare ups, which make me more nauseous than usual, and give me diarrhea- I'm never positive what causes this but I know stress and anxiety play a part, lack of sleep affects me, and possibly something I've eaten too. I take zofran normally when I feel particularly poor, and sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't. It also constipates me a bit so I try not to take it unless I feel I really have too. While anxiety runs in my family, I had no issues with it until I developed this condition. As an emetiphobe, this condition drives me insane, because I'm constantly fearing what my own body will do. I still can't exercise, and it makes life as a college student difficult and often frustrating. I'm going back to the gastroenterologist soon, and I was wondering if anyone had any follow up ideas that I could ask about, or has been through something similar? I think I'm suffering from post-infectious IBS though my doctor hasn't said those words exactly yet. Thanks everyone for your help, and sorry for such a long post!

#2 carolyn lee

carolyn lee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 03:24 PM

Were you tested for c.diff? Lab tests can only detect it in a stool sample and only if it is liquid diarrheah. I had it 3 years ago and tested negative two times before diagnosing it. Antibiotics did not cure me and I had to have a fecal matter transplant.  I now have what I think is post- infection IBS-D with much of your same symptoms.

#3 sekhem

sekhem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 10:49 AM

Get tested for H. pylori. Sometimes they do this by taking a biopsy during endoscopy-- ask if this was done, if not, request a blood test.

#4 dcl1597

dcl1597

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 05:15 PM

Thanks for your responses- I was already tested for H pylori but not c.diff
I do know that c.diff is normally treated with metronidazole though which I was already on

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PI-IBS, Nausea, Anxiety

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here