22 & don't know what to do - Welcome! - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

22 & don't know what to do

IBS-A

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MGF

MGF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 26 January 2016 - 11:39 AM

Advertisement
Hi everyone, new member here.

I've suffered from what I believe to be IBS-A since the age of 16 and am now 22.

I'm relatively uneducated on the topic as a whole and have had relatively limited visits to the doctors who prescribed spasmonal with no effect and another who simply advised to read a book on anxiety. Admittedly the latter doctor has been known to be relatively ineffective with most patients so I didn't hold out on his advice.

Over the years my symptoms have remained the same, but have died down a little. I tend to suffer with regular toilet visits ranging from 3-6 times a day, I feel that over time I have become Incontinent as well due to the amount of times I will visit a toilet. Outwardly I feel I'm quite an outgoing person, and have taken plenty of opportunities to pursue a career in the arts, be that office or performance based. Unfortunately due to my experiences with IBS I get very anxious before attending any meetings or gatherings that I know will involve prolonged periods of silence.

I also feel I must rush to and from locations in case I become 'caught out'. I'm sure many of you can vouch for me in saying that it's not a nice feeling rushing to the toilet. When I visit the toilet I can usually 'go' for about 1 minute before the bowls feel clear, but stay on due to the fear that more may be 'inside', meaning I fear the ramifications this can have on me in the future.

Down to the topic at hand - can anyone recommend anything that has worked particularly well in remaining confident in not needing to go to the toilet? Equally are there any foods or vitamins I should be taking? Due to the fact that I can be constipated quickly, but very equally can visit the toilet and produce relatively watery stools I fear I cannot commit to the advice of individuals who suffer just IBS-D or IBS-C conditions.

A bit about my background: due to the fact I can feel constipated about 20 mins after eating anything chunky (sandwiches or dinners etc) I tend to snack on carb orientated products, the fibrous nature of fruit send me to the toilet so I steer clear of those really. I'm taking up drinking water again rather than alcohol, which I tended to use as a relaxant, but now feel that it's probably been a massive contributing factor to a decline in my IBS health.

If anyone can advise on sites where I may be able to be better educated, leading to improved dietary and mental health I would hope that i may be able to really battle this condition to the point that I no longer feel anxious and can last perhaps a day or two without actually needing to visit the toilet...

Thank you,

#2 Cherry Esteban

Cherry Esteban

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 01:27 AM

Hi.im cherry..have u ever tried taking probiotics capsule..i took this since i have ibs alternating constipation diarrhea..i went well feel better now..then i used to go to toilet 6-8 times a day. But now i go to toilet 1 to 2 times a day with normal stool.no crampy stomach anymore.

#3 MGF

MGF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 27 January 2016 - 09:12 AM

Hi Cherry,

Sounds like a plan. I'll try some soon, did you ever have issues directly after eating as that seems to be an issue I have but I think it's psychological...

#4 Cherry Esteban

Cherry Esteban

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 02:06 AM

Have some issues in eating some kinds of foods that irritates my stomach..but since i took probiotics that issues gone also together with my ibs.

#5 MGF

MGF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 02 February 2016 - 07:26 PM

Hi Cherry,

A quick update. It's been a week and they're really getting to work! I've taken the '3 Billion bacteria' version available from Holland and Barrett in the UK.
Within about 2 days I felt the difference and can confidently say that I'm not rushing to the loo after I've eaten!
Similarly those 5-6 or 7-8 trips per day are now down to 3 max!
I don't know if you were the same but I have picked up a bit of a cold and had a sore throat after taking them (usually I'm pretty ammune to illness), but I'm just assuming it's to do with the recent cold weather and not the tablets.
Thanks for the advice, it's been life changing (literally!) do you have any other advice for really kicking IBS, any tips for when I feel anxious?
In a working day if I'm in at 8:30am I sometimes feel some slight pains or toilet urges come about 4:30pm, I just wondered if your pains & urges eventually stopped completely?
Best wishes,
M

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: IBS-A

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here