New tab: Overeating and IBS - Website Help - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo
- - - - -

New tab: Overeating and IBS

overeating mushy stool carbohydrate maldigestion Leaky Gas gas flatulence Incomplete evacuation Reduced portion size

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tummyrumbles

tummyrumbles

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 05:26 PM

Advertisement

Hello it's me again. Any chance of a new tab called "Overeating and IBS"? There's not much on overeating on this forum. It's possible that overeating could be the main cause of IBS for some people here, especially the Leaky Gassers. It was for me. Eating smaller portions resulted in a drastic improvement for me evacuation and gas-wise and it would be good if there was a permanent tab warning people about overeating. 

• pau, pammy2665, Donna Rae Bracey and 3 others like this

My Wordpress blog: http://ibsnaturalcure.wordpress.com

#2 Jeffrey Roberts

Jeffrey Roberts

Member #1 Founder

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7295 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 05:56 PM

There doesn't seem to be any research on overeating and IBS. It seems like a rather anecdotal connection. Also, I'm not sure it would appeal to many people. Perhaps a topic about this in the Diet or General forum would suffice.

Jeff

#3 threena

threena

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 29 April 2016 - 01:26 AM

i think people do not overeat most of the time..but if they do ,specially during holidays and special events, we can get away with the stomach lump by eating fibers and probiotics..I do eat papaya everytime i feel so full... it helps me eliminate excess waste..works everytime :)

#4 jb1988

jb1988

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 29 April 2016 - 01:02 PM

I can see how overeating does make my IBS worse. I try to eat small meals to avoid any worse pressure on my stomach. I have to say I am someone who will get my reccomended daily fruit and veggie intake because I just feel better when I eat that stuff. 

I have noticed that with my IBS, stress does make it worse. I don't think that is the cause....When I am away from work, it is definitely better. Stress happens outside of work and I have had it happen on a vacation too. I have had luck with dicyclomine and Miralax (along with other anti-anxiety pills) but it seems a lot of the common factors with everyone who has this is STRESS and/or a mental health issue. Is that a coincidence? Can stress be causing this stomach pain? or is stress making it worse? I have had an x-ray, that was normal, a CT scan that was normal. A gallbladder/liver ultrasound, a HIDA test (most of my pain is on the right side of my stomach)......normal. Negative on the wheat and gluten tests.....ugh. 

the pain does not happen right after I eat, usually like 3-4 hours after. chocolate really makes it worse....

maybe:

therapy+dicyclomine/Miralax+ deep breathing/stress management+ eating healthy+ just not giving a damn= feeling better!

We all just want to feel better and we have to keep trying! 

Sometimes the simplest explanation is the answer= occam's razor...what is the simplest....Stress/what we put in our body. 

UPDATE 5/17/16: I CANNOT TAKE DICYCLOMINE AS IT MAKES ME TOO LOOPY. I AM TAKING IBGARD (OTC), MIRALAX, AND DRINKING LIKE 6 GLASSES OF PEPPERMINT TEA EVERYDAY AND THAT SEEMS TO WORK.

• threena likes this

#5 threena

threena

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 03 May 2016 - 04:29 AM

hi again jb.. stress causes metabolic process in the body to change, as the brain is the center of the nervous control, it can cause the release of stomach juices... i am glad that eating fruits and veggies make you feel better..have you tried fennel? it neutralizes stomach secretions and aids in digestion.. how about cardamom? it has natural healing property for digestive wounds... all the best!

• jb1988 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: overeating, mushy stool, carbohydrate maldigestion, Leaky Gas, gas, flatulence, Incomplete evacuation, Reduced portion size

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here