So what can we eat? - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tummyrumbles

tummyrumbles

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:27 PM

Advertisement
I recently tried the specific carbohydrate diet and ended up worse off because of the higher protein intake. Proteins need fats and carbohydrates in order to be digested fully. A diet high in protein and low in carbs or fats is toxic to the body. I found this out the hard way.

Bacteria feed predominantly on starch and sugar, and so it seems logical to try a diet that limits these foods, which is why so many people try the SCD diet. But limiting starch generally means increasing either fibre or protein. Fibre is a problem food for IBS and an excessive intake of protein is dangerous.

So what can we eat? We need carbs and carbs are generally fibre-predominant or starch-predominant foods, either natural or man-made. The man-made carbs are starches like breads and pasta. All grains are very high in starch, and tend to be much higher in starch than vegetables.

Starch is composed of amylose and amylopectin. Amylose resists digestion and the higher the amylose content a food has the less it is absorbed in the small intestine. Starches primarily composed of amylopectin on the other hand will be more easily digested and become glucose much quicker. These foods have a higher glycemic index.

I know that high-starch food makes my IBS worse. These foods cause gas and cause incomplete evacuation for me. Limiting all “starchy” food mightn’t be necessary though. Cooking methods can reduce the starch content in vegetables. Potatoes, which are an “illegal” food on the specific carbohydrate diet can be low starch if you choose a red (Russet) variety and boil and then mash the potato.

The safest starches for IBS tend to have a high glycemic index, rather than low - so basically these are considered unhealthy foods. If your main concern is a diet that repairs your gut and improves IBS symptoms, then very easily digested starch will have less chance to feed bacteria. Resistant starch, which resists digestion and therefore travels largely intact through the colon, does feed bacteria. Resistant starch is a prebiotic and considered to be a healthy food, for normal people -but not for those with IBS or SIBO. 

Table 1 - Results
Test Meal Glycemic Index

1. Microwaved russet potatoes 76 ± 8.7
2. Instant mashed potatoes 87.7 ± 8
3. Oven-roasted white potatoes 73 ± 8.2
4. Microwaved white potatoes 72 ± 4.5
5. Boiled red potatoes 89 ± 7.2
6. Boiled red potatoes, refrigerated, and consumed cold 56 ± 5.2
7. French fries 63 ± 5.5

”COMMENTS

It is clear that both the method of cooking and variety of potato can affect Glycemic index. "What was most interesting was when a red potato was boiled, refrigerated, and consumed cold the next day, the Glycemic index plummeted 37% from the upper end of a high Glycemic index food (89) to one point away from a classification of a low Glycemic index food (56)(see Table 2).”

Table 2

Glycemic Index Glucose Scale

High 70-100
Medium 55-69
Low 54 or less
.”

This website explains the process well:

“Glycemic Index Variations

An amylose food’s Glycemic Index is determined by several parameters:::''

We need carbs. And carbs are either starchy or fibrous. Vegetables tend to have higher fibre levels as starch levels decrease. And this is the problem for IBS. We can’t tolerate too much starch or fibre. Longer cooking breaks down both starch and fibre. The introductory Specific Carbohydrate Diet has an introductory diet for people with severely compromised gut issues. This meal is basically chicken soup with carrot boiled for hours. The cooking time depends on your individual tolerance to fibre.

A special diet should only be maintained if it makes you feel better, and improves your IBS. Forcing yourself to eat vegetables you don't like won't help digestion. Food has to be palatable otherwise we won’t produce the digestive acids to absorb it. There is a psychological component to digestion and palatability is very important as well. 

My Wordpress blog: http://ibsnaturalcure.wordpress.com

#2 dlind70

dlind70

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 08:57 AM

read this blog, fruit is the answer in a general sense.  Whole fruits are very good for Glycemic load. Glycemic INDEX is useless; with the exception that you are on a mono diet.  Ignore Glycemic index.  http://oneradionetwo...od-sugar-a-lot/

FRUIT is also the cleanest burning food for humans,  Most nut protein eaten with fruit is ideal as well because protein digests better with sugar.  If You have allergies to nuts or other proteins, use high fructose fruit or honey eaten together.  (Example: sun ripen tomatoes eaten with red meat.)

I will also share this tip I've learned through experience.  Chew and liquefy your food more.  Saliva is related to the pancreas and saliva performs useful digestion.  This is all very basic and should have been learned in a high school health class.

A swami teacher has said: “Cellular nectar is transmuted from the enzymes in your mouth combined with food. Drink your solids, my son, chew your liquids, my son, and you will be like the Sun.”

#3 dlind70

dlind70

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 09:17 AM

another tip i learned recently if you have a SIBO issue. Eat raw carrots at 6:00 pm.  In the mouth chew/digest raw carrots with some real salt (not table) and a teaspoon raw apple cider vinegar. Do that for three days as a remedy.

#4 jrebidue

jrebidue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 13 February 2016 - 08:26 PM

My doctor put me on the low-fodmap diet and I have great hopes for that.  Will let you know how it goes.  Research has shown that the low-fodmap diet controls IBS symptoms in 76% of patients that use it.  I went on Weight Watchers and lost 30 lbs but my problems got worse.  When I saw the list of foods to eliminate, it made perfect sense.  I was eating 90% of the foods that aren't good for IBS.  He is also testing me for Celiac Disease to see if gluten is a problem, too.

#5 Sunnie

Sunnie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 01:43 AM

tummy rumbles, you absolutely do not need carbs.  Nor do you need carbs to process protein.  Thousands of people and whole cultures have lived on meat alone and thrived.  "Zero carbs' people who believe in eating only animal products and drinking water have cured MANY diseases, and IBS is one of them.

The whole 'carbs and wheat are good, fats are bad'...has been completely debunked in recent years. MUCH research to prove it.  The whole 'cholesterol is bad' theory; also debunked.  In fact, the original study on cholesterol being bad, done by Ansel Keys (look it up) was intentionally flawed, because instead of including the results of all of the countries he studied, he 'cherry picked' specific countries only to skew the results the way he wanted.  Cholesterol isn't bad.  It's the size of the cholesterol particles that are key.  Statins are horrible for women who haven't had a heart attack, and come with risk of terrible side effects.  So much of what we were taught was wrong.

I personally am doing best on a beef, chicken, tiny amount of white rice, and ripe bananas only at the moment.  (still early in my post infectious IBS.)  If I step outside that boundary of food, BAM.  It comes right back.  Seeing a Functional Medicine MD tomorrow to get her opinion/help.

Each of us are different, and that certainly applies to IBS.

#6 Denis

Denis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 01:27 PM

The answer is fat. Low carb, moderate protein and high fat should be helpful in getting enough calories. The perfect health diet has good macronutrient ratios if looking for an example. In general 200-600 grams of protein, 200-600 grams of carbs (With at least 600 grams protein + carbs) and the rest from fat. How much fat will depend on how well you tolerate it but supposedly you can build up to more gradually. I also seemed to feel worse when eating too much meat, likely because of the high amounts of protein. Cutting back on portions and adding additional fat to make up for calories have shown improvements. The healthiest fats seems to be Tallow, Lard, Duck Fat, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Avocado Oil, Macadamia Oil, Coconut Oil, Red Palm Oil and Butter/Ghee if tolerated.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: starch, bacterial overgrowth, SIBO, fibre, vegetables, fibre intolerance, starch intolerance, IBS diet, resistant starch, glycemic index

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here