Rifaximin questions - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Rifaximin questions

sibo rifaximin ibs-d

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gralcl

gralcl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 12:10 PM

Advertisement

Hi, I'm new and wondered if anyone has any experience with rifaximin.

I've had terrible ibs-d symptoms for the last 4 months after terrible food poisoning and last week I took a hydrogen breath test which came back very positive, then I was prescribed rifaximin for 2 weeks and was told to eat a normal diet (carb rich) and then take either VSL#3 or Symprove for 6 weeks after the antibiotics and return to the low fodmap diet whilst taking the probiotics.

So far I am a couple of days in, on taking the antibiotics and I feel great! - basically how I did before the food poisoning - however this is worrying me because I was told by my gastroenterologist that I would feel really terrible and to be near a bathroom as much as possible whilst taking them - and if I felt no different they probably weren't working! 

So I was just wondering if theres anyone else who's taken rifaximin or has any knowledge on whether or not this is a good or bad sign? as I'm aware it can quite a few rounds of antibiotics to have an effect and even then this is difficult to cure.

Any information would be great! 

#2 Carol Prout

Carol Prout

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 06 April 2016 - 07:08 AM

Hello,

I just signed up here because I saw your post. I only wanted to let you know that I too felt great when I started the Rifaximin treatment after I was diagnosed with SIBO 3 years ago. I didn't feel sick with it at all and didn't have to be near a toilet while taking it. I wanted to mention though that the third cycle (a year later) of the antibiotic gave me a different reaction.  After about the 10th day on the treatment I started to get terrible, sharp, teeth-clenching stomach/intestinal pain. I think it was because the bacteria at that point were all gone??? It was like my intestines felt stripped of everything.  Anyway, I didn't do the entire 14 day cycle. Once I stopped the Rifaximin I didn't have the pain and I felt much better for a couple months. I didn't go back on the antibiotic cycle again though (changed gastroenterologists and had a different series of tests and treatments). Hope this helps??!!

#3 QuintinCoetzee

QuintinCoetzee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 05:01 AM

Hi, I'm new and wondered if anyone has any experience with rifaximin.

I've had terrible ibs-d symptoms for the last 4 months after terrible food poisoning and last week I took a hydrogen breath test which came back very positive, then I was prescribed rifaximin for 2 weeks and was told to eat a normal diet (carb rich) and then take either VSL#3 or Symprove for 6 weeks after the antibiotics and return to the low fodmap diet whilst taking the probiotics.

So far I am a couple of days in, on taking the antibiotics and I feel great! - basically how I did before the food poisoning - however this is worrying me because I was told by my gastroenterologist that I would feel really terrible and to be near a bathroom as much as possible whilst taking them - and if I felt no different they probably weren't working! 

So I was just wondering if theres anyone else who's taken rifaximin or has any knowledge on whether or not this is a good or bad sign? as I'm aware it can quite a few rounds of antibiotics to have an effect and even then this is difficult to cure.

Any information would be great! 

Hey gralcl!

I'm going to be going on a course of rifaximin soon, because of IBS, so I've been searching for information like you were.

I assume you're finished taking it now. How are you feeling? Have your IBS symptoms returned or has the rifaximin fixed you for good?

Q

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sibo, rifaximin, ibs-d

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here