New IBS sufferer, really affecting my quality of life :( - Welcome! - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

New IBS sufferer, really affecting my quality of life :(

ibs quality of life depressing pain constipation diarrhea need relief

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bkdahlin12

bkdahlin12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 25 March 2016 - 04:19 PM

Advertisement

Hello fellow sufferers!

I really need support and advice. I just found out I have IBS at 22 and it is really ruining my quality of life. For the last year I have been experiencing it - I have bouts of constipation, then diarrhea, pain, gas and bloating. I hate that I might be out with my friends and then I have to spend 30 minutes in the bathroom making it smell awful. I always have to know where a bathroom is. When I have an episode at work it is awful because I spend half of my shift in the bathroom. 

As for how it started, I don't really know :( I went through a break-up a year ago and maybe that caused it? I always used to have the best bowels and now I always feel like they are on fire. 

My doctor pretty much told me there is not any real treatment. This is so depressing, thinking I am going to live like this forever. 

Does anyone have anything they have found to help? I tried probiotics and they gave me diarrhea. I take daily fiber and peppermint supplements. I try not to eat diary. My doctor said to try eliminating gluten - could this really be it? I've never been a real believer of gluten intolerance. 

I feel so lonely and lost. I'm too young for this. Why me?

Sincerely,

B

• EmHew and 2bassetts like this

#2 2bassetts

2bassetts

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:06 PM

I will get some Aloe Vera to try.
  • bkdahlin12 likes this

#3 Renie5

Renie5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 30 March 2016 - 04:19 AM

I get how you're feeling. I have been through so much with my IBS and I can see from this help group I'm not alone. The depression and loneliness is overwhelming and the chronic illness takes away your quality of life. I'm 28 now but I remember thinking my life is over! Doctors were rarely helpful. After suffering this for 11+ years I've learned that the condition is hard to figure out and emotionally draining. But you can work it out, itll just take time. And once in a while you'll find something that helps and it'll make you feel a little stronger to overcome the bigger challenges!!!

Gradually go through trialing different things. One at a time otherwise you'll just get confused. Find a better doctor!!! Research doctors that show special interest in trreating IBS patients.  I requested my doctor to do loads of tests. Allergy testing, stool samples, breath testing, different diets (with a dietitian if possible), blood tests, hormonal testing, mri, colonoscopy. The works. Unfortunately it can be quite costly but I found some answers doing it that way.

My IBS is too severe to work and leave the house for long so having a normal life is hard. I get relief because a dietitian found a diet that relieved my symptoms about 60%, stool samples came back with multiple bacteria and parasites so had to do treatments to eliminate those and now to heal my gut. Blood tests from my gynocolgist are showing my hormones could be causing flare ups daily. After so long suffering bowel problems now I'm working on the psychological stress and depression that plagues me daily because managing IBS symptoms is too much to do on my own. I'm doing Bladder and bowel control exercises everyday. Relearning how to even pass a normal bowel motion! Guidance from doctors who know what they are talking gives you hope and I've started to notice it is helping. I never thought I'd find motivation to get up each morning again and have any interest in a life with IBS but I'm actually there and staying strong.

Everyday is hard and I hope you figure it out. Hope this helps. Best of Luck

• bkdahlin12 likes this

#4 2bassetts

2bassetts

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 11:52 AM

I have had this full blown about two months. I thought I had a stomach virus. Going into a third week of it I calledGP to see if it stomach viruses are lasting this long. No he said so next call my DigestiveDisease doctor. I got an appt. I had read a lot on line & found Food Map Diet & started eating it. I felt some what better. She reminded me at appt that I had many mini spells of this IBS. I have in quite a few years yet it went away drinking Gingerale & eating crackers. She agreed with diet & gave Hyosycamine. Felt a lot better yet no driving. I took special bus trans to other doc appt. now my new & harder thing is being very tired/exhausted. I cancel all appts & bus trips. I am discouraged & depressed. My husband helps & grocery shops. I use to go.

I agree to the thinking that a new step to getting better is hopeful. I am hanging on hope. Trying to talk now with nurse/doc for help with this fatigued.
  • bkdahlin12 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ibs, quality of life, depressing, pain, constipation, diarrhea, need relief

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here