Anxiety - Especially in cars! - IBS Diarrhea (IBS-D) - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Anxiety - Especially in cars!

anxiety IBS-D travel advice

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sunandmoon17

sunandmoon17

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 13 April 2016 - 06:35 PM

Advertisement

Hi everyone, 

New on here! I was diagnosed with IBS-D in high school, and have come such a long way from that. I was so embarrassed about the initial diagnosis, but now my family and close friends know and I feel comfortable talking to them about it. I have been through therapy and pretty much have my symptoms under control, but I still get incredibly anxious in the car. I had an experience in high school when I first started having IBS symptoms where I felt like I was going to lose control of my bowels in the car with my boyfriend but was too embarrassed to really explain to him what was happening.... I ended up getting to a bathroom in time but since then I have had some serious anxiety about being stuck in the car for fear that I won't feel good and will need to go to the bathroom but won't be able to get to one.

Does anyone have any similar experiences or any advice? I do yoga everyday and overall feel like I manage my stress well and am always able to focus on my breathing etc., but I still just feel really panicked being in the car with someone else - especially if I don't know how long we will be in the car or if I have recently eaten. It feels like such a silly thing to be so stressed out about but truly it is exhausting feeling so anxious every time I am in the car!

Thanks so much 

#2 Theiceman11

Theiceman11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 02:18 AM

I get the same way, especially when someone else is driving or if there is a traffic jam. The anxiety brings on the symptoms for me, and I don't know how to control it. It's extremely frustrating

#3 sunandmoon17

sunandmoon17

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 14 April 2016 - 06:24 AM

I get the same way, especially when someone else is driving or if there is a traffic jam. The anxiety brings on the symptoms for me, and I don't know how to control it. It's extremely frustrating

Yeah! Same here. When I am driving I feel better about it because I know I am in control and can stop at a gas station or something if I had to, but being in the car when someone else is driving is really hard for me. It's frustrating because I will physically feel fine UNTIL I start getting anxious about not feeling good and then it can spiral into me actually not feeling good...

#4 legbuh

legbuh

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 08:15 AM

Same thing for 20 years of my life...  I know how it goes and I haven't yet figured out how to conquer that demon.  It's terrible.

I'm a gearhead (petrolhead for the UKers) and I would LOVE to drive cross country, travel more, etc.. but this stops me from enjoying what I could.

#5 sunandmoon17

sunandmoon17

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 14 April 2016 - 08:53 AM

Same thing for 20 years of my life...  I know how it goes and I haven't yet figured out how to conquer that demon.  It's terrible.

I'm a gearhead (petrolhead for the UKers) and I would LOVE to drive cross country, travel more, etc.. but this stops me from enjoying what I could.

I am so sorry - I have done a lot with trying to "accept" it, like worst case scenario if I had an accident I would still be okay and hopefully whoever I was with would be understanding and cool about it - but even if I do accept that I still worry a lot about it 

#6 Theiceman11

Theiceman11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 11:07 AM

Ya, for me, not even having an accident is still such a problem. Just the feeling of about to get sick, the uneasiness, all of that is so annoying. People will be trying to have a convo with me in the car and I can't even focus on what they're saying. I feel like so much of this problem is related to anxiety and panic. Taking a benzo before a trip with someone else can help a lot, but drugs can't be the answer to this problem long term

#7 susie419

susie419

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 09:34 PM

I have a portable toilet, cost me $12 online. It looks like a pail but has a real looking plastic seat and it's about the height of a toilet seat. I use a garbage pail liner, keep it on the back seat and carry a sheet so I can hide from onlookers. I have not had to use it yet but feel comfort knowing it's there. If the car is full, forget it...but generally I am with one person and just sit in the back. What a way to live...I know, but when you gotta go, you gotta go, not in 2 minutes, not in one but right then. It's such a drag living like this. Check out the portable toilet online. I got it in a sporting goods/camping store.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: anxiety, IBS-D, travel, advice

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here