I'm losing a lot of weight and I'm worried! - IBS Diarrhea (IBS-D) - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

I'm losing a lot of weight and I'm worried!

IBS-D Weight Loss Health IBS

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SB18

SB18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 08:57 PM

Advertisement

I was diagnosed with IBS a few months ago but have been dealing with the symptoms for more than 2 years. The most recent issue I have been experiencing is weight loss and I am getting worried about it. Since we all know that IBS symptoms are incredibly frustrating to deal with, I think I subconsciously have made the decision to eat less because that will cause my IBS symptoms to be less severe.

I did not realize the full extent of the issue until I went to a follow-up appointment with my doctor today. I told him I had been losing weight but I was completely shocked to see that I weighed in at 117 lbs today. and my BMI is 18. For my height I am now considered underweight and I am concerned because I don't want to be unhealthy. We looked at my weight chart over the past 2 years and it was shocking. It made me realize that I really need to make a change to become more healthy. 

Has anyone else experienced this? Any action plans you think might help?

#2 lithium

lithium

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 06 May 2016 - 01:32 PM

Hi

I am an IBS-D and IBD sufferer and I too lost significant weight when the condition was at its worst. I lost around 13 pounds. It is also important to note that IBS sufferers are likely to suffer from considerable anxiety as well and that can in itself contribute to weight loss.

• Carmen Pagani likes this

#3 WingWave5795

WingWave5795

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 05:42 PM

I lost 80 lbs before seeing a doctor and having tests done to diagnose IBS.  I had cut my food intake down to only the foods that didn't trigger an issue, which at the time was next to nothing (turkey slices and oddly enough Ramen noodles).  I was also in my final year of college and stressing about practicums that I needed to take (which was impossible with the symptoms - a total Catch 22) and how to work full-time to support myself at the time.  

It's a slow process of adding foods in that you can tolerate, but it's worth it.  I wish I had a game plan for you to gain some weight back up but it's an individual process.  I gained the weight back, plus some, but should have used the weight lose as a stepping stone to get healthy at that weight.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: IBS-D, Weight Loss, Health, IBS

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here