Pooping every day but still feel clogged up. Why? - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Pooping every day but still feel clogged up. Why?

Clogged Ibs c Laxatives Pressure

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 anonanonski

anonanonski

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 07 May 2016 - 08:44 PM

Advertisement
When I was normal I pooped once every other day. No discomfort.

No with ibs c I poop every day but the stool is hard. And a few hours after a bm I feel clogged again, like there is stool stuck deep in the rectum..

When I take laxatives I get diarrhea, there is no middle. :(

#2 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12300 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 08:47 AM

if there is stool stuck in the rectum, a glycerin suppository might help get it out.  or a dulcolax (bisacodyl) suppository.  if the stool is higher up, though,then it probably won't.

have you tried magnesium to soften up your stools.  the amount and which type of mag supplement varies from individual to individual. you have to experiment to see what works for you. there are many different kinds: magnesium citrate, magnesium oxide, magnesium glycinate, chelated magnesium,  liquid magnesium citrate (the supplement--not the stuff in the bottles you buy at the drug store) etc. a lot of people like powdered magnesium supplements  like natural calm- you mix in water and drink it .   Magnesium relaxes the muscles in the intestines which helps to establish a smoother rhythm and magnesium also helps soften the stool by attracting water to the colon which helps to make stools easier to pass. we've got a ton of magnesium threads on here.

a stool softener like colace might help.

or you could try drinking miralax.  it's an osmotic laxative. play around with the dosage to see what works best for you.  usually a daily dose works best for people . if it gives you D, then try a smaller amount of it.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#3 peppermintandvinegar

peppermintandvinegar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 08 May 2016 - 12:42 PM

I had a similar problem. A friend recommended that I try miralax as well. It worked for me sometimes and not others. I still consider it a good tool in my pain management tool kit though.

#4 threena

threena

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:34 AM

I had a similar problem. A friend recommended that I try miralax as well. It worked for me sometimes and not others. I still consider it a good tool in my pain management tool kit though.

have you tried eating papaya?aloe ferox?

#5 threena

threena

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:42 AM

hi anonanoski, I am sad to read your story.. like I always recommend..eating papaya can give you relief. I mean immediate relief for constipation.when i say immediate, it's really fast! .however papaya is for constipated people who can't or have difficulty defecating.. but your case is different as you've mentioned..you can poop but it is hard..it would really be nice to combine aloe ferox and papaya..hope the two wonderful herbs can help you give relief and normalize your digestive excretion..all the best!

#6 peppermintandvinegar

peppermintandvinegar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 11 May 2016 - 12:14 AM

I haven't tried papaya. Well, I enjoy it as a fruit that I eat sometimes, never really correlated it with constipation relief. Thanks! I will try it, I happen to have some in my fridge...

#7 anonanonski

anonanonski

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 11 May 2016 - 05:30 AM

Laxatives AND stool softeners give me diarrhea/unformed stool. By my logic that means I have normal transit time. But why without them I'm getting hard stools? It's like the transit time is okay but the stool slows down at the end of the colon and becomes dry. I had a colonoscopy so I dont have an obstruction or anything...

#8 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12300 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 07:12 AM

have you tried elevating your feet on something like a foot stool or shoe box while sitting on the toilet? elevating the feet helps straighten out the anorectal angle and allows a more complete evacuation. this might help get more stool out of the rectum so it doesn't become hard and dry.

it might take some experimentation to find the right height. i first used a foot stool and then a shoe box and later bought a squatty potty on amazon.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#9 anonanonski

anonanonski

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 11 May 2016 - 07:34 AM

I don't get the urge that is the problem. People with incomplete evacuation get urge but can't evacuate.
When I DO get an urge I evacuate without straining hard. The problem is that the urge is slow coming, and when it comes the stool is already hardened.

#10 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12300 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:31 AM

i didn't get the urge either unless i took laxatives or used a dulcolax (bisacodyl) suppository. when i had my anal manometry, i was diagnosed with rectal hyposensitivity and megarectum. 

for some people, drinking coffee or something else with caffeine in it will produce an urge.  also eating a warm breakfast helps, since it's most common to get an urge in the morning after waking up. 

sometimes tight pelvic floor muscles can cause a lack of urge.  the muscles are so tight that they prevent any feeling of an urge coming through.

to soften your stool, you could try small amounts of miralax or stool softeners or magnesium.  it takes some experimenting to find out what amount softens stool without causing diarrhea.

or try papaya and/or aloe like Threena suggested. that might help. i've heard other people say that papaya helped with their constipation.  also kiwi fruit.  they both have a high moisture content.

a sitz marker test will measure colonic transit time and also show where things are slowing down.

#11 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2145 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 11:37 AM

I don't get the urge that is the problem. People with incomplete evacuation get urge but can't evacuate.
When I DO get an urge I evacuate without straining hard. The problem is that the urge is slow coming, and when it comes the stool is already hardened.

People with incomplete evacuation (like myself) get the urge but can't evacuate completely. About an hour later, give or take, it's time for another BM. And then sometimes another (and even another) sometime later, during the course of the day.

• annie7 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Clogged, Ibs c, Laxatives, Pressure

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here