IBS Newbie :) - IBS Diarrhea (IBS-D) - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

IBS Newbie :)

IBS-D Duodenitis Esophagitis intel patch Hiatal hernia

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 celiamhilton

celiamhilton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 02:04 PM

Advertisement

Hey guys!!

I finally got the courage to sign up to what seems to be an amazing support group rolleyes.gif .

Just to give you a little bit of background (and sorry ahead of time for writing so much haha): My name is Celia and I was recently diagnosed with IBS-D about a month ago (well, we are sort of still in the diagnosis process, but I'll get to that later). January 2016 I started having severe diarrhea every day (at times there was blood in the stool and odd colors like green and pale yellow).  It did not calm down until the end of April (2016) after I was referred to a Gastroenterologist who prescribed Bentyl and told me to take Citrucel to add bulk as he thought it may be IBS-D. .

Prior to the three-month-chronic-d episode, I suffered from severe constipation for years (color was often black). I finally decided to go see my Primary Care Physician about it. She told me to start taking digestive enzymes as well as probiotics to aid in the development of a healthier gut (along with taking a food intolerance test - which I have no food intolerances by the way - and helping me by completely changing diet). At appointments she would also religiously press down on my stomach (gently) and would feel swelling and inflammation. I had (and still have) severe point tenderness in the RLQ as well as surrounding the epigastric area. She ordered imaging to be done to rule out chronic appendicitis among other things. She also checked vitamin levels and put me on 50,000 Vitamin D-3 as I was deficient (14 out of 70). I now take the Vitamin D once a week. I also went through unintentional weight loss.

Yesterday (May 9, 2016) I had my first endoscopy and colonoscopy done and was diagnosed with esophagitis, duodenitis, GERD (although I have no "typical" symptoms of this such as heartburn, etc), as well as hiatal hernia. They also found polyps in my colon (which is normal.) They took samples for biopsies, but I won't hear back until next week or so.

Since I was also diagnosed with IBS-D a month prior, and since I'm really new with all of this, does anyone know if IBS is what is causing my severe inflammation of the esophagus and the duodenum? I eat healthy, don't smoke, don't drink? I drink aloe vera juice, eat kimchi, drink tons of water, take digestive enzymes as well as probiotics.  I am not sure what would be causing these types of inflammations? The diarrhea has calmed down, yet, there is inflammation there still. The gastroenterologist put me on Pantoprazole SOD DR 40 mg to reduce the production levels of acid in my stomach and to help get rid of the inflammation (I really hope it'll work). But I am still curious whether IBS is the reason for this and if it is normal for it to cause inflammation, and if anyone else is struggling with inflammation. 

Thank you so much for taking your time to read this!  I really appreciate it!

Celia smile.png

#2 Billy Spear

Billy Spear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 11 May 2016 - 04:17 PM

Im not very familiar with your diagnosis. I do recommend looking into the Habba Syndrome. Do your own extensive research on it, dont trust your doctors to. Have your gallbladder funtion tested. I believe 1 test is called HIDA scan. Im not saying this is your main problem. This could be something else thats going on.

#3 celiamhilton

celiamhilton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 07:39 PM

Thank you so much! I'll definitely do research on this and see if I can get my Primary Care Physician to refer me as well to do the HIDA scan. rolleyes.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: IBS-D, Duodenitis, Esophagitis, intel patch, Hiatal hernia

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here