Amitryptaline for ibs - high dosage - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Amitryptaline for ibs - high dosage

ibsc ibsd antidepressent

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LucyM1991

LucyM1991

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 09:01 AM

Advertisement

Good afternoon

after struggling with severe ibs symptoms for the last 9 months i was put on amitryptaline by my doctor and have been raising the dosage

since then. initially i had a good improvement, no trapped gas pains when waking in the morning, and not such an urgency for bm, and not as frequent either. i had days when my stomach felt well, which i have not had for months.

However, when i read up on other ibs sufferers taking amitryptaline, i see that many are using dose of 10mg or 25 mg, whilst i am on 75mg as 25mg at night did not work 

Has anyone else had experience of taking a higher dose of amitryptaline for ibs and has anyone had success long term?

any experience would be appreciated

Lucy

#2 lithium

lithium

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 01 June 2016 - 11:28 AM

The higher the dose of amitriptyline the more its antidepressant action comes into play. Perhaps you are feeling better because of the antidepressant action? IBS also has a very big psychological component to it.

#3 pip x

pip x

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 05:46 PM

Good afternoon

after struggling with severe ibs symptoms for the last 9 months i was put on amitryptaline by my doctor and have been raising the dosage
since then. initially i had a good improvement, no trapped gas pains when waking in the morning, and not such an urgency for bm, and not as frequent either. i had days when my stomach felt well, which i have not had for months.

However, when i read up on other ibs sufferers taking amitryptaline, i see that many are using dose of 10mg or 25 mg, whilst i am on 75mg as 25mg at night did not work 

Has anyone else had experience of taking a higher dose of amitryptaline for ibs and has anyone had success long term?

any experience would be appreciated

Lucy

#4 pip x

pip x

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 06:07 PM

Hi Lucy. I've been on 50mg of amitriptyline for past 6 years for my ibs-a. The d was getting so bad with practically no warning I was afraid to go out. It does take a good few weeks to really get the benefits of it and you need to work up slowly. Be warned though you may suffer from severe constipation. I live on lactulose and the occasional sennokot these days.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ibsc, ibsd, antidepressent

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here