Previous IBS with pain, can it still be IBS without pain? ( moved here) - IBS Diarrhea (IBS-D) - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Previous IBS with pain, can it still be IBS without pain? ( moved here)

Concerns IBS Green stool Stress

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Momatude

Momatude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 09:52 AM

Advertisement

I posted in the general forum but I think I made a mistake and it belongs in the category forum that matches my type:

Background info before questions:  I've had IBS for many decades. I'd have flares alternating with the terrible cramping with diarrhea or terrible cramping followed by passage of one large stool and followed by diarrhea. When I was younger ( 8, 9, 10 years)  it was mostly constipation. I was diagnosed in my 30s by Gastro...after 1 sigmoidoscopy, 2 colonoscopies, liver imaging tests, gallbladder testing, Ct scans,  on and on.  I also have GERD. I'm 57, my last Colonoscopy was at 45 but I get yearly Fecal Stool checks at Gyn and no family history of Colon cancer or blood in stool. I do have flares of Hemmoroids ( dx'd through testing and sight). 

I've not had a severe episode of pain in a couple of years...but I do get alternating diarrhea, urgency with diarrhea, a normal stool followed by mush ( mostly this) and then the alternating sizes and shapes. It's always a surprise what's shape or consistency is going to pop up. 

I suffer from anxiety and am undergoing a lot of stress due to car accident and back pain and mostly due to my beloved pet being ill and undergoing cage rest treatment for a spinal problem . I have noticed 3 different occurences of green, formed stool- not days in a row. I've had all sorts of movements in between- diarrhea, formed, brown, and constipation ( in fact today's green stool was preceded by constipation and small hard brown stool).

I'm not eating much due to stress and desire to lose weight, but the foods I've had include:

Food: Watermelon, Avocado ( three days ago). Oatmeal/ Milk/Peanut Butter/ blueberries Shake, small Sweet Potato, small bit of Steak, cherries, tomatoes, corn, coffee, half/half, mozzerella cheese, Prosciuitto, black Greek Olives. 

Meds:  I've taken:  Pepicd, Prevacid, Advil ( 4 at a time due to back injury--- maybe once or twice a day), 2 periods of Gaviscon tablets ( 4 each time)  and two Ativan over a period of a week. GasX Cherry Tablets. 

Two Questions:  1. Can you still have IBS if you don't have the pain?  2. Can the green stool I'm having be attributed to stress / extreme worry ( from pain, the accident concerns, the sick pet) or meds? 

thanks in advance

#2 rpmljm

rpmljm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 08:45 PM

I can tell you what my doctor told me just recently...

You most certainly can have IBS without pain.  Some people just don't and I am one of them.  Just lucky, I guesssad.png .

Color of stool is not a concern unless it is black or red which would indicate bleeding.  You can also have black stool if you have taken Pepto Bismol which is nothing to be concerned about.

#3 bhots23

bhots23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:50 PM

Green stool generally means that it went through your intestines too quickly so it didnt have time to turn brown. According to what I have read, its not an issue. So to answer your question, yes the green stool could be from stress, IMO, you are so anxious that you are forcing your body to digest food too quickly, The mind is capable of crazy things. I have panic attacks that when I look back at them, I dont believe how crazy I was. But, thats anxiety, it usually isnt rational and is usually about control. At least thats my experience. It could be different for everyone. 

I am so sorry you are going through this, if there is anything that I can do to help, please let me know.

#4 Dreamer61

Dreamer61

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 11:46 AM

If you have had IBS for years then you could have pelvic floor dysfunction. The muscles in the pelvic floor can get irritated and tight, especially if you have stress, as some of us tend to tighten our pelvic muscles without knowing it. After months and years this can cause a lot of pain and dysfunction, it's a vicious cycle as it can be caused by IBS, but then aggravate IBS. I have been helped by two books, Heal Pelvic Pain by Amy Stein and A headache in the pelvis, by David Wise.

I have been doing the stretches they recommend plus other things for nine months and have seen improvement in intestinal cramps and pain and my bladder issues (I have Interstitial cystitis), but I still had diarrhea. This was very frustrating after working so hard, but I am now thinking I have SIBO, bacterial overgrowth the intestines. I went on the SCD diet for that and have seen a huge improvement in only a few , so that is very encouraging, although obviously it's to soon to know for sure.

I don't know if either of these applies to you, but I wanted to throw it out there as a possibility.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Concerns, IBS, Green stool, Stress

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here