IBS or something worse? - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

IBS or something worse?

Gas Mucus Constipation

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Lucy998

Lucy998

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 09:19 PM

Advertisement
I'm 17 years old with no family history of colon cancer, but my mom and grandma both have IBS. I do have severe anxiety and anorexia. My GI issues started about 3 months ago, where I had excess ga, bloating, and was severely impacted. I got an enema which didn't work and only got some stool out (which was soft, not hard by the way). The thing that got my unclogged was miralax, which took a week to work. My stools were thin and soft. I've been going to the bathroom every day since then, sometimes up to 2-3 times a day. My stool is usually normal sized, sometimes thinner, usually soft sometimes hard or a mix of both. It seems to come out in short sections too, not one long piece. I also have a lot of mucus and very very bad gas especially at night. What's concerned me lately is sometimes I have a quick sharp pain in my lower left side and sometimes in my rectum. It only lasts a few seconds or so, and I can sometimes feel my intestines contracting almost. Also, at time I have a constant urge to defecate. Like today, my stomach has felt very tight in a way, maybe like it spasming I'm not sure. I've been passing gas a lot, and when I went to use the bathroom nothing came out, maybe a tiny pebble sized piece but a lot of white mucus. There were at least 4 globs of it. This happened twice today. I've also passed globs of mucus with stool in the past, and I usually have more than usual mucus with stools everyday. My stomach also always make lots of gurgling and rumbling and I can feel it in my rectum even at times. I've had a ct scan done, which showed nothing except that "my intestines were working hard" which might mean they were spasming or something. They also found 2 small spots on my liver, but they said they looked like hemogemas (collection of blood vessels). I've had multiple blood tests (at least 3) the most recent one was last week, they came out normal. I've also had x rays, and saw a GI doctor last week. I mentioned my symptoms but didn't really mention the mucus since it hasn't gotten this bad sicnr today where I passed only mucus and gas. The GI Doctor said I probably had IBS, I mentioned colon cancer but he said that was rare for someone my age and that I would've had symptoms like abdominal pain, weight loss, and fever (which I don't have). I haven't gotten any stool tests, though. Do you think this is just IBS? Could it be colon cancer? I have really bad anxiety and can't stop worrying, and it really scared me today when I passed only had and white mucus. My stomach again has felt tight all day and have felt the urge to go. I did use he bathroom this morning, but haven't since then. As for my diet, I eat lots of fiber, I eat prunes everyday (I'm not sure if that's making things worse, and I'm a vegetarian.

#2 Lucy998

Lucy998

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 09:32 PM

And also, the ct scan was used with contrast dye so they could see more, so would it show if there was colon cancer?

#3 Lucy998

Lucy998

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 09:13 AM

Anyone??:(

#4 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13064 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 09:52 AM

i am sorry that you are still so worried and obsessed about colon cancer.  i was hoping your visit to the gastroenterologist would help reduce your fears.

i know it's hard but please try to stop worrying so much about cancer.  as others have mentioned and now your gastroenterologist as well, colon cancer is very unlikely for someone your age.  all your tests so far have come out fine.  worrying never helps. it feeds on itself  and it always makes everything seem so much worse than it is. 

and yes a CT scan can show if there was colon cancer. i've had a number of CT scans with contrast. they show all sorts of things.

passing mucus --either with or without stool--can happen when people have  ibs.  i've passed mucus both with and without stool.  

http://www.ibsgroup....s-but-no-stool/

if you are still concerned about the mucus,  why don't you call your gastroenterologist's office and tell the nurse  there about your concerns and any other worries or questions you may have. she can give that info to the gastro doc and the nurse you call you back with his reply.  if you want more tests, tell them that.

if you feel that you are constipated, you could try taking some miralax like you did before. or ask your gastro's office what to do about it. they are really your best source of information.

please do try to get help for your health anxiety. talking to a professional counselor about this can really be helpful.  i really do feel for you. all this worrying doesn't help and just makes things seem so much worse than they actually are.   please try to relax and not worry so much.   wishing you all the best.  take care.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#5 Leo41

Leo41

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 15 June 2016 - 10:40 AM

To me this sounds everything like IBS, and nothing like cancer. 

Mucus is a "normal" with IBS, with IBS-C is can be even worse. I could not count the amount of times I have gone and had either nothing but some drops of mucus, or tiny pieces of stool completely wrapped in it. I not aware of mucus being a sign of C in anyway.

#6 Lucy998

Lucy998

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 02:34 PM

Thanks for replying. I'm just worried because these symptoms usually occur every single day. Is it possible for IBS symptoms to happen all the time? I usually always have mucus in my stool, and usually have to sit there for a while to be able to go.. All these things have been happening for 3 months every day

#7 Leo41

Leo41

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 15 June 2016 - 02:40 PM

I have had months upon months where symptoms persisted. Actually most here it seems really would be happy with just occasional days being "normal" again, so I think most of us have some symptoms every day,I do. 

I get the concern, and honestly no one here can give a solid no this is not cancer like a good GI doc would/could. Though we also know that those are very hard to find. Again though your symptoms fit IBS perfectly. 

#8 Lucy998

Lucy998

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 09:13 PM

Alright, I hope it's just IBS. I think I'm constipated again, so maybe that's why the mucus just came out by itself... I took miralax so hopefully that works

#9 William Hobba

William Hobba

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 12:19 AM

Hi Lucy

I have symptoms similar to yours - not the same but similar.  It looks like IBS to me.  At the moment for me I wake up bloated, maybe even a bit nauseous.  Then slowly for a while I pass wind with increasing frequency, then eventually I get a slight nautious feeling and get the urge to go. All sorts of things come out.  Yesterday it was perfectly formed Bristol chart type 4.  Today it started as slightly loose type 4 then went to loose type 6.  The other day it started out hard and small then later I got a strong urge to go and it was type - full blown diarrhea.  Later it was type 6.

Could this be cancer?  Yes it could - don't let anyone tell you otherwise - its entirely possible.   I most definitely could have cancer - and you to. But here is the kicker - for those that pass the Rome 3 criteria - and I do as I am certain you would - studies show the chance of cancer is the same or even lower (yes lower) than the general population:

http://www.medscape....rticle/708947_1

You are also exactly the same as me - I too suffer from hypochondria, obsessive compulsive disorder, anxiety and depression.  Its actually quite common with IBS.  This must be treated by a psychiatrist - its vital - and I suggest you seek out one ASP.  It will change your life.  I see one and he has a lot of patients with IBS that is co-morbid and knows a lot about it.

They will determine what is the best course of action with your cancer fear.  Maybe getting a colonoscopy is best in your case.  Maybe a workup by a gastro.  Maybe nothing at all.  Why don't you just get a colonoscopy?  Thing is they are not risk free:

https://www.drmcdoug...l/aug/colon.htm

it will be up to a medical professional if in your case, considering for your age group cancer is unlikely, if the risk is worth the reward.  We cant do that here - only a qualified medical professional can.

What am I doing?  I am 60 and my chances of cancer is much higher than yours.  However about 12-13 years ago I had a colonoscopy that was negative.  Studies have shown its now unlikely I have cancer - I can - but my risk is greatly reduced.  I am on the lookout for blood in my stool and I get regular blood tests done (which recently caused me a whole lot of worry and grief - not because they were bad - but purely the worry waiting for results).  That is the whole thing with anxiety disorders - even simple things like standard blood tests can trigger it.  You need to be under the care of appropriate health professionals to manage it all.

Thanks

Bill

#10 Lucy998

Lucy998

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 08:23 AM

Thanks for replying. It's just hard because my symptoms seem to go on all day. I don't see any blood in my stool, just mucus. I did ask my GI Doctor about my fear about colon cancer, he looked at me like I was crazy... He told me he could order a colonoscopy, but that the risks of complications from that are higher than the chance of me having colon cancer. So I'm just not sure if I should get one or not, since the risks are worse getting the colonoscopy especially since I'm young and underweight. I did have a ct scan with contrast dye, and they didn't see anything in my intestines/colon but I've read that ct scans can miss them (idk about ones with contrast though). And again I've had multiple blood tests that all came back normal, and my doctors said they wouldn't order any more for me since I've had so many. But I honestly don't know what to do, if I should get he colonoscopy or not, since he didn't reccomend it but is leaving it up to me. But I would be scared of the risks that come along with that too. I'm just not sure what to do..
And about my anxiety, I do see a therapist and take medication for it, which helps a tiny bit, but I still worry. Everyone thinks I have IBS since I've suffered from anorexia for years and I've definitely screwed up my bowels from restricting and eating certain foods for so many years.. but again, I'm just lost on what to do.

#11 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13064 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 09:25 AM

you could talk to your therapist about your fears of colon cancer and your fears about having a colonoscopy and not knowing what to do etc.  talking it over like this could help you arrive at a decision. and make you feel better. 

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#12 William Hobba

William Hobba

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 10:26 AM

but that the risks of complications from that are higher than the chance of me having colon cancer

That's exactly it.  The chance of you having cancer is less than the 5 in 1000 chance of serious complication from a colonoscopy.  As the article I linked to said - there is a 1 in 1000 chance of perforation (which often leads to death - regardless its very serious) during a colonoscopy and it will save a life about 1 in 1200 cases.  That's about 1:1 - its not worth it.  That's why in most countries (except the US) its out of favor for cancer screening.  It, for that purpose, has been replaced by a Sigmoidoscopy which is nearly, but not quite, risk free.  The only trouble is it cant see the right side of your colon.  To handle that you can get a virtual colonoscopy done which views the right side even better than a colonoscopy and is 100% risk free.  If you get both those done its a much lower risk.  But then you have the worry of getting tests done which may make your anxiety worse.  Is the small risk of having cancer worth that?  That's where you need a psychiatrist - only a professional, in consultation with you can determine that.  In my case I simply go to pieces getting tests done.  I was really in a bad way when I had a colonoscopy years ago.  But I had to get it done because I had anemia and because of that my chances of cancer were higher.  Mt psychiatrist spent a lot of time calming me down and I got it done.  But if it wasn't for that risk he would have not put me through it.

The bottom line here is you must speak to a psychiatrist - only they can help you with this.  IBS is made worse by anxiety etc and if you see one like I do that has a lot of IBS patients he will help your IBS.  BTW that's not why I see mine - but that's a whole different story to do with something called Bells Palsy - it just so happens he also treats a lot of IBS patients.

Thanks

Bill

#13 William Hobba

William Hobba

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 10:35 AM

you could talk to your therapist about your fears of colon cancer and your fears about having a colonoscopy and not knowing what to do etc.  talking it over like this could help you arrive at a decision. and make you feel better. 

IMHO that's exactly what Lucy should do.

A psychiatrist will be able to help with the IBS as well.  If they cant help they undoubtedly can recommend one that can.

Thanks

Bill

#14 Lucy998

Lucy998

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 08:56 PM

I talked to my therapist today, she also deals with patients with IBS. She told me it was up to me whether to get the colonoscopy or not... I'm just not sure. I've also been getting sharp pains in my sides that last a minute or so, and idk if that has to do with IBS or not. They happen randomly, and it's like I feel nauseous and then randomly I'll get a sharp pain in my right or left side at the bottom. I'm just scared, cause I'm not sure if this is an IBS symptom

#15 William Hobba

William Hobba

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 10:22 AM

I talked to my therapist today, she also deals with patients with IBS. She told me it was up to me whether to get the colonoscopy or not... I'm just not sure. I've also been getting sharp pains in my sides that last a minute or so, and idk if that has to do with IBS or not. They happen randomly, and it's like I feel nauseous and then randomly I'll get a sharp pain in my right or left side at the bottom. I'm just scared, cause I'm not sure if this is an IBS symptom

100% for sure IBS can cause that kind of pain - its from trapped gas moving about:

https://www.verywell...-reflex-1945272

100% for sure nausea as well:

http://www.healthlin...ausea#Overview1

You may even have Vasovegal involvement:

https://www.verywell...-reflex-1945272

I have had a bit of that the last couple of days - one actually while speaking to my psychiatrist tongue.png tongue.png tongue.png tongue.png tongue.png tongue.png tongue.png.  

It looks like your therapist doesn't think you will go to pieces or anything like that (as I am prone to do) so getting the colonoscopy is simply a risk thing.  Get a Virtual Colonoscopy if you want to - they do not have the risks of regular ones - just like all radiation imaging exposure to - well radiation.  The reason its often not done is if they find polyps etc you have to get a regular colonoscopy to remove them so they figure do one anyway.  However the chance you have polyps at your age is prety much zero so its not an issue.

Thanks

Bill

#16 Axle Eckert

Axle Eckert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:38 AM

Try Iberogast, take it for two months min.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gas, Mucus, Constipation

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here