Problems with protein - IBS Diarrhea (IBS-D) - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Problems with protein

protein ibs attack ibs d

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Geodrake

Geodrake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:52 PM

Advertisement
Hello, does anyone else find proteins a major trigger for an attack? Over the years I've had IBS (eleven of them now) I've given up poultry (gives me severe D) then red meat (stomach cramps & spasms). Got my protein mainly from dairy and eggs plus quorn. At the moment I'm having a severe attack that's got me signed off work and making it difficult to look after our young son. Pain can be ridiculous. Still need to eat, unfortunately as I would like to be able to give up food altogether. Last night I had scrambled egg made in a wee bit of dairy free spread. This morning it felt like my insides were being torn out. Perhaps I'll need to give up egg now. Trying a dairy free diet for four weeks as well. At this stage I'm willing to try anything. Using a lot of soya products as alternatives but read that soya is often a trigger for people. Feel like I can't win sometimes! Soon I'll be living on plain rice and vegetables. Can't eat pulses or beans due to them upsetting my stomach. Any suggestion would be gratefully received.

#2 PD85

PD85

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 07:45 PM

It is odd to have such strong reactions to protein, it's usually one of the safer foods. Have you tried pancreatic enzymes or betaine HCL?

"I could be wrong about everything." -Me

#3 forseegood

forseegood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 09:31 PM

Fortunate you can eat rice (you mentioned you feel you might be on a diet of rice and vegetable.. ) gosh, I'd be so pleased to just have even rice and vegetable (and lots of them daily)... I'm so dag gone hungry sometimes.  

It is difficult, isn't it?

I feel your pain man.

#4 bhots23

bhots23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 21 June 2016 - 06:53 AM

Perhaps try an allergist and see if you have any food allergies. If not, mine suggested to me eliminating gluten, soy, dairy, tree nuts, dairy, and peanuts. He said if you are going to relief it would be within 4-6 weeks. Then, you could gradually add one thing back in at a time and see which one causes the problem. Good luck!!!

#5 Moises

Moises

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:00 AM

This "syndrome" has led me to test many extremes. Everything I say is the result of my own experience and we all know--or should know--that there is huge individual variation. So, the idea that "this is good for IBS and that is bad" just doesn't work.

By a kind of accident, I discovered that most carbohydrates--and especially fibrous and raw ones--tend to exacerbate my condition.

One day, many years later and in total desperation, I wondered what would happen if I ate no carbohydrates, as I had read Viljhamur Stefansson had done. So I started surfing and there was a group of "zero-carbers" who ate only meat. And I gave it a try for 7 months.

So, I was eating lots of protein and some fat. I bought ribeye beef in bulk, which is one of the fattier cuts.

I had diarrhea the entire time. Everyone was encouraging me to stick it out, but I eventually decided that it wasn't going to get better.

In the book Life Without Bread the authors state that Chilean authorities would kill the political prisoners by giving them only lean meat. I don't know if that is true. But I now wonder if zero carb might not be so bad if it were implemented not in a meat-only form but merely a zero-carb form. That is, allow all zero-carb foods, which basically means meat (including fish) and fat. I haven't tested this but I have been adding fat to my meals for a few years and it has definitely helped. I track my nutrition on an app (Cron-o-meter) and the significant increase in fat has led to a decrease in protein.

Now, sufficient protein is essential to life. So, I am not advocating that anyone cut out or drastically lower their protein consumption. But in my case moderate--as opposed to high--protein consumption, accompanied by intentionally adding fat, along with extreme carb restriction (but not zero carb) has ameliorated my condition, though I still have a long way to go before I would call myself cured.

When I first started this a few years ago I was very uncomfortable adding fat to my meals. I typically use lots of olive oil and (grass-fed Kerrygold) butter. But now when I have to eat meals that I have not prepared, their lack of sufficient fat makes them less palatable. At restaurants I try to hold onto the olive oil after the salad is removed and I horde the little pats of butter, if I can.

#6 Geodrake

Geodrake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 02:25 PM

Thanks folks I am thinking of an elimination diet, need to find a dietician or nutritionist to help me set one up as I can't take beans/chickpeas or pulses (give me horrendous bloating related pain) which lots of them seem to suggest as alternatives. Plus need to watch I don't loose much weight as been trying to put it on due to being underweight. NHS dietician I saw already just said to eat more protein to put on weight. Yeah, that was helpful... I'm OK with carbs on the whole feel so bad for folk who aren't. No rice or potatoes must be hellish :-( Thing is only just over two months ago I was having dairy and eggs no bother. Our guts hate us, those of us who have IBS.

#7 Leo41

Leo41

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 22 June 2016 - 03:40 PM

I find protein the main thing I can eat. 

Only my opinions....

I think we rule out food too quickly. I have found that the same exact food can cause a flare, or issues, or no issues at all totally depending on how I am at the time. I believe a lot (not all) of this is cumulative effect from intestinal/gastro inflammation/irritation. I have also encountered entirely random flares with the same exact food items. This to me shows that this is much more than simply trigger foods causing us problems. If you are bad off NOTHING is edible, the key is to get the course reversed, and calmed some, then food.

What I would do.... I would go with a few days of bowel rest. Nothing but clearish fluids, and lots of bone broth and/or chicken broth. Nothing else. Add in any foods that are not common allergy foods that fit BOTH on the FODMAP and SIBO diets that are easier to digest (bananas for example). Pay special attention to the sibo diet items if you have not in the past. Chew all food extremely well, and start with the easiest to digest, and watch the veggies that could give gas. 

Aside from that for spasms/cramps I always have to recommend Heather's for IBS peppermint tea. No, there is nothing like it or as good, and yes, it is that good. If you have spasms you simply must have this. Nothing else I have seen will or could stop bad spasming in it's tracks (not even the docs best meds), but Heather's does, 9 out of 10 times.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: protein, ibs attack, ibs d

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here