New here, undiagnosed and confused - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

New here, undiagnosed and confused

ibs bacterial overgrowth candida naturopath diet constipation

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 nickivs

nickivs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 30 June 2016 - 02:20 PM

Advertisement

Hello!

I'm an 18 year old woman and since April this year I have been trying to manage my symptoms. Based on my research, I believe I have a bacterial overgrowth in my gut. Originally I assumed it was a candida overgrowth because I have oral thrush, get very bloated after eating (especially something with sugar in it, natural sugars too), have irregular bowel movements, etc. but I don't want to assume anything unless I get tested. Most of the time, my stool is hard to pass and soft/loose, and I rarely ever feel like I've completely "emptied" my bowels when I use the restroom. 

My current diet is dairy-free, gluten-free, refined sugar-free (I'll eat low-sugar fruit occasionally), meat-free (this was a personal choice I made years ago). I take 3 tsp of diatomaceous earth daily, drink a tablespoon of raw apple cider vinegar with almost every meal, drink kombucha throughout the day. I took oregano oil as an anti-fungal for a while but ran out and was too lazy/too broke to buy more. I work minimum wage part-time and I spend a lot of money on products to aid my health so it can be hard to get everything I need for healing. The kombucha I get is a local brand and has 4 trillion probiotics per 16 oz, so I drink a couple tablespoons a few times a day. Whenever I drink a full 16 oz of it though, I feel very drunk. I looked that up and I read that when yeast dies off in your intestines, it can expel alcohol into your system due to fermentation that occurs. Very odd but I thought it was a funny way to get away with underage drinking laugh.png kind of alarming when you have to go to class right after you drink it though. 

I'd like to see a naturopath but my mom isn't being very helpful in helping me transition to that from my pediatrician. I just turned 18 not too long ago and am still getting used to "adulthood". I'm not sure where to begin when it comes to switching doctors and dealing with insurance. 

Basically what I want to know is - what should I be doing? How do I go about my symptoms without spending a lot of money? Who should I see about my symptoms? And how?

#2 sara1991

sara1991

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 11:05 AM

Hello,

I'm a 25 year old female whose issue first started when I wasnt eating very well and over exercising and my bowels completely stopped working and I couldn't go without an enema - this was accompanied with excessive gas and rectal fullness which depressed me so much. I've visited several doctors who diagnosed me with different things and gave me different medications (Resolor, Duspatalin, Probiotics, digestive enzymes) - eventually the gas subsided a little and I could have a bowel movement everyday but there was still a lot of gas and lower abdominla distention (felt like my intestines were going to burst). Now recently I've done a colonoscopy and was diagnosed with lazy bowel syndrome (Slow motility) and was given Ganaton which helps me go 2-3 times a day however the gas & abdominal distention is still there. Now my symptoms have been ongoing with the same severity for the past 5 months and I don't suspect I have IBS since this flare up is ongoing. My question is why is the gas still there even if I'm going 2-3 times a day and the lower abdominal pain which radiates into my lower back still there? I'm so frustrated and have tried EVERYTHING including GAS Stop, probiotics, digestive enzymes, peppermint caps, ginger, fennel etc without relief. Can slow motility I've also missed two periods for the first time in my life?? I can't live like this anymore!! Any response is appreciated!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ibs, bacterial overgrowth, candida, naturopath, diet, constipation

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here