Tips/Advice for Vacation - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Tips/Advice for Vacation

advice tips vacation travel

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MeagLynn

MeagLynn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 03:51 PM

Advertisement

Hello Everyone,

I've been lurking on this website and forum for awhile now and have decided to finally join up. I've got a lot of great advice and comfort from reading this website and I was hoping some of you guys could offer any tips or advice for me before I head off on my vacation with my cousins.

A little bit of background: I suffered from digestive issues for almost my whole life. People always told me I had my Father's stomach, but nothing was ever too serious that it disrupted my life and I never gave it much thought. Last year (2015) when I went on vacation I suffered extremely bad. My acid reflux was terrible and I was unaware that I had IBS. I just figured that I was not used to all the restaurant food and the weight and going-ons of travel just got to me. But since that vacation my symptoms got worse and grew worse each passing month. It was not until April 2016 that I got extremely sick.

I constantly had abdominal pain, bloating, discomfort, and an empty hallow feeling. It was literally day-and-night 24/7. I was having bowel movements several times a day, causing me to call out of work several times. I started to lose my appetite (making me lose weight) and started to lose sleep because of the uncomfortable empty hallow feeling. The pain and discomfort got so bad I asked to go to the ER. They did tests and checked my pancreas and liver; everything came back fine. They suggested I either had a dairy or gluten allergy, Crohn's, or IBS. I then started a liquid diet for a few days and then a bland diet, as they suggested to calm my stomach, and began a gluten and dairy free diet. Almost a month went by and still I had no significant change. Finally, my Doctor gave me a prescription for the pain (Bentyl) and recommend me to a Gastro. A few days after the visit with the Gastro Doctor I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy done. He told me everything looked fine and that I have IBS.

It's been a little over month since the colonoscopy and endoscopy I have been doing so much better and started to keep a food journal. And I have only had a couple flare-ups since the procedure. Though I still occasionally will get stomach cramps, bloating, etc. I carefully watch my diet and don't eat out to restaurants or fast food places. I like to make my own food so I know what I am eating. I read somewhere that it's important for people with IBS to have their fiber, especially soluble fiber, and since I have started eating soluble fiber before my meals I have been doing pretty good.

What I am really worried about is getting my soluble fiber while out on vacation, as it appears to be really working for me, and eating all that restaurant food. All of this is still really new to me. I'm a little apprehensive about going on this vacation and traveling on the plane since just being diagnosed with IBS-A. My cousins know that I have IBS, but don't really understand how important my diet is and the fact that I may need a bathroom at any given moment and need to take my time.

If anyone has any advice on food, travel, and talking to my family members about my condition I would extremely appreciate any help that you can provide.

(P.S. I have stopped taking Bentyl, because it would make me feel high and make my sleep hallucinations that much worse.)

#2 Cattarina

Cattarina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 08:14 PM

Hi. Hopefully you already went on your vacation and are back and you felt perfectly fine. When vacationing I always bring Metamucil as my solvable fiber. Hope you had no problems.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: advice, tips, vacation, travel

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here