I have had IBS for almost eight years - Your Story - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

- - - - -

I have had IBS for almost eight years

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jlwesl_*

Guest_jlwesl_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2001 - 05:27 PM

Advertisement
I have had IBS for almost eight years. I just recently got my symptoms under control to a point that I can slowly start living my life again. I know that what has helped me won't help everyone, but hopefully it can be of use to some. First off I cut things out of my life that were stressful. I quit my job(I'm only 20 and I realize that most people can't do that) and I took a year off college. I stopped socializing with people who were emotionally poisonous ans stressful. I listen to a lot of relaxing music(classical, new age, etc) I have found that changing my diet has helped tremendously. I don't eat any big meals. This was very hard to do because I love food and I used to eat till I was stuffed. Now I eat about 3-4 very small meals a day and have light snacks if I get hungry. I no longer have caffiene-coffee, soda, tea, etc. I do drinks lots of light caffeine free soda like ginger ale, sprite, cherry 7-up. I no longer eat red meat of any kind. I stick to turkey, chicken, and fish. I don't eat anything that is fried or greasy. I don't eat any fruit except a little banana. Most fruit drinks are out too because of fiber. I stay far away from vegetables(escpecially onions!)except for salads, mushrooms, peppers, tomatoes, and jalepenos. I limit my dairy to very little. I have a little milk with cereal and a little cheese on sandwiches and pizza. I cut fiber out of my diet as much as possible because it is one of my triggers. I eat lots of sandwiches, in fact I practically live off of them. For people who love fast foods I recommend Subway, Mr. Goodscents, and Blimpie. Also, when you eat out at fast food don't use straws!! It can cause even more discomfort because of air bubbles/gas. Idon't eat a lot of chocolate or candy either. I walk on my treadmill about once a week and I just got a membership to a health club. I stay away from medicine and if I have to take something I take only 1 extra strength tylenol because any more triggers an attack. I am starting college again in a month but I chose to take telecourses instead of regular classes because I'm still not well enough for that. I know that this is a lot of stuff, but it has helped me more than any pill or medicine.Sincerely,jlwesl

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here